Wednesday, November 19, 2014

You're a Furnace

This morning I arose in a very cold house. It was 48 degrees in the warmest part of the living room. How cold is that? Well, I'll put it this way. I woke up to the sound of Annie drinking out of the toilet, strike that, cracking through a layer of ice to drink from the toilet! Now, that is something not everyone can claim they've experienced! And as awful as that may sound to some of you, know I could have avoided it. It was a choice, The farmhouse has two wood stoves, one in the back mudroom near the pipes and one in the living room. Had I stoked both the fires and got up a little earlier it could have been a lot more comfortable this morning, but since the temperature wasn’t dropping below zero outside I chose to put my energy towards sleep instead of comfort.

And sleep I did! I got a solid 8 hours under wool and sheepskins, Gibson curled up under the covers by my chest. Together we are a kindled fire and when I woke up this morning I was warm as could be inside my little nest. I woke up smiling in the dark and watched the steam rise off my skin and swirl in the air around my curvy body. I laughed in absolute joy at this, because I’m not sure what could be more proof positive that I am alive and well in this windy world? Fire always win the battle over ice and I am a goddamned furnace. Now, I wanted to share what happened next because I think it may bring some of you out of a place of worry or despair and into one of joy and power. I started a fire. Hear me out.

When I laid in bed I knew I had chores out in the bitter wind, some hunting to do in the icy forest (venison means saving money on food!), and a list of deadlines, bills, worries, and obligations. I knew I was behind in the mortgage, over my head in many ways. I am not waking up to a world of financial or physical comforts by any stretch, and that is because of the choices I made in my life. I could either sit in bed with wide eyes and fret about these things, let worries about money consume me, let the easy heat of the undercover realm keep me prisoner, and roll over and pray to win the lottery...

Or I could get up and let my skin steam.

I headed over the that wood stove, naked and crouching, like something out of a National Geographic about primal man’s first invention of fire. I opened the stove and saw all I needed to see. The keystone that changed my view on the entire day: hot coals. I opened the tightly-sealed woodstove and the first flash of oxygen lifted those coals from embers into sparks and a red light lit up my face in the darkness. A red light I created through a lineage of choices, from installing the stove years ago, to harvesting firewood, to stoking the fire last night, to opening it this morning to let that light shine on me. Next to the stove was a hatchet, some light pine, and paper. I had all the tools I needed to start a real fire, right there next to me! Another series of choices I put in place. And what do fires offer? Comfort, heat, warm water, energy! I chopped up some wood and within moments I had kindling. I placed it in a all tee pee around a red coal. It smoked and then erupted in flames and soon I had a proper fire. I added larger dry wood around that little triangle and soon a small dance of atoms was a true roaring stove blaster. Guys,  fire was there all along, I just needed to bring it into being with the right tools, preparation and knowledge.

I got dressed, made coffee, let the dogs out, and started my day. The animals were fed, the farm is humming, and I already started a new logo project for a reader’s farm and handed over a new comp sheet of logos to another college for their draft horse club. This was work I was trained to do and helps bring income to this farm. It's an act of creation, of skill, of light just like that fire. I avoided Facebook, Paypal, Reddit, Twitter...the whole damn internet. I didn’t want someone else’s picture of their ten-point buck or engagement ring or new kitchen counters or their awesome night out starting my day with any sense of lacking. Not because other people's joy makes me sad, but it's hard for anyone to see such things and not feel she is already starting the day needing to be something besides the naked, laughing, perfect rubenesque farm goddess she already is.

Nothing puts out an inner fire like self doubt. So I just did my work in this morning storm of creativity. I planned out seven new workshops to announce today, a special on season passes, sold a left-handed longbow, and figured out exactly how much I need to earn each day in the next two weeks to have the mortgage caught up by Yule. And I will accomplish that goal. Damn right I will. I'll do what it takes to wake up on that Solstice morning to a warm house in the black, if it means selling Merlin's harness off his back. I'll make it because I understand the way that fire worked.

See, when I was naked and cold in the dark all I saw was a hint of possibility: a red coal. But I knew with every piece of my being that dry wood, a little effort, and a hatchet would be the perfect combination of intention and violence to bring out flames. As I did the work no part of me doubted that the fire would come. It's just want happens next. It's proven fact, that this mixture of circumstances makes a fire. So no part of me doubted that within ten minutes I would be sipping hot coffee in a wool sweater. And no part of me doubted that fire would bring heat, and inspiration, and that washing wave of blessing for living this life on my own terms. It’s a Wednesday morning and I am about to spend a day writing on my own farm! That was a fairytale through most of my twenties until I realized I was a furnace.

You are a furnace, too.

Here's what I want to share today: don’t focus on what you lack. Don’t start your day with other people’s accomplishments. Start your day knowing you are capable of making the life you desire. You need to see your own story as a pile of embers that just needs the work of kindling to explode into something wonderful. I live my life that way everyday. And when I am scared or anxious or worried about silly things - I remember the certainty in which fire comes from hope and force. And as long as I am able to hold the coals of that metaphor close to my heart and ignite my own life’s goals I can achieve anything. It requires being focused on the good of yourself, the good of others, and the bounty of this kind world. And it also means moving yourself out of a sense of victimhood and lacking and into one of power, a gift you can only give yourself. But once you start playing with fire, it’s hard not to feel like anything is possible. The proof is here at this small farm and hundreds of others out there among you fine folks.

You never have to worry about me. This farm will always be okay and only grow to be stronger, healthier, wiser and better equipped to help others find the same happiness if they want it. And I think the best thing I can do to make my fire burn a little brighter is remind you that you also have a hot coal in there somewhere. So choose to be happy, and it is a choice. Smile when you are cold, naked, and scared. Light the Need Fire of your own story, and share that heat with the rest of us. We sure as hell need it when the toilet bowl freezes...


Blogger Kristen Brockmeyer said...

Love. This.

November 19, 2014 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh yes Jenna. Excellent. You are a strong woman. I admire you for that.

November 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

Oh how I needed to hear this today! This week a friend got another promotion at work and yesterday someone made me doubt myself. Suggesting that working full time and having a farm was way too much work and stress. I never thought it was...but his words ignited a coal of doubt. Instead I'll make it a coal of confidence. I CAN do this and I WILL do this and be stronger for it. (I almost said to him - "well I AM a woman, I know how to work hard" but there is no place for that in the corporate world!).

November 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger Lilly said...

Thanks for this. I needed to hear it today.

November 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Thanks Kristen!

November 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Thanks Michelle!

November 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Tanya! You can do it, and will!

November 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Lilly, I needed to hear that someone needed to hear me! So thank you!

November 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger Mel Baker said...

This post could not have come at a better time.

Thank you!!!

November 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger jenomnibus said...

Well effing said, Jenna!

November 19, 2014 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger jules said...

"...the naked, laughing, perfect rubenesque farm goddess she already is."

I love this!

November 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Fantastic post, Jenna! Love the hot coal/fire metaphor. We really can do anything we set our minds to. Rock on, farm goddess!

November 19, 2014 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger becky said...

haha your frozen toilet bowl reminded me something that happened to my mom last year. They also live in an old farm house with a wood stove. The house has terrible insulation and on a good day it might hit 60 inside. They went away for a weekend and when they came home the toilet was frozen solid. My mom being the independent woman that she is tried to thaw the toilet by herself with a salamander and ended up melting the toilet seat. We still have a good laugh about now and then.

November 19, 2014 at 5:36 PM  
Blogger Stefanie DePugh said...

Wonderful, inspiring post, Jenna. Thank you!

November 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

"Guys, fire was there all along, I just needed to bring it into being with the right tools, preparation and knowledge."

I really like this quote.

November 19, 2014 at 10:54 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I've been reading and enjoying your blog for months now, and there have been many times I've shared your posts with others after being so inspired myself. For reminding us that we are alive and that the simple act of waking up in the morning is a gift and something to be treasured-thank you. I shared this with my 17 and 21 year old goddesses (daughters) today and I know it will inspire them to fully embrace their aliveness as it did me. Thank you!!!!

November 20, 2014 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Since entering the world of self-(under)employment, I quickly learned that when I'm awake enough to worry about money, it's time to get out of bed and start moving. It's still a better alarm clock than a piercing electronic beep.

November 20, 2014 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger JP Swift said...

Jenna. That was a great post! I always marvel at peoples ability to use words in such a special way. I had a picture of you building that fire as if it were right in front of me. The words you wrote were quite inspiring. I'm very glad I found your blog a few months ago. I enjoy reading and watching your videos. Bravo!

November 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM  
Blogger greendria said...

Fantastic writing, thanks

November 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Great Jenna, I needed to hear this too.

November 21, 2014 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger seagoddess said...

Very nice and good

November 21, 2014 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Jenna, this was inspired. And you write so damm well!

I loved the description of steam rising from your skin.

November 23, 2014 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger Einit Borowsky said...

Love this one Jenna. It is a good reminder.

November 24, 2014 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger KPLS187 said...

Thanks for this Jenna:) Much love from the North!

November 29, 2014 at 2:02 AM  
Blogger Ginny said...

God*dess bless you for bring forth the words that are needed at any given moment. You have a wonderful gift. Thrive on!

December 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger John Terry said...

Found your blog. It is full of really good information. Thank you for sharing. If you ever need service on denver furnace repair, air conditioner or water heater please visit us at We would love it if you would have a look at some of our blogs and let us know your thoughts.

April 16, 2015 at 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home