Monday, November 3, 2014

Why Wait, Just PLAY!

One of my favorite events of the year is the Fiddle Camp weekends, or any day I get to share this instrument with a very specific type of student. You might be that student and not know it, too! I am talking about the person who loves fiddle music, who owns bluegrass CDs, who has the tune of Ashokan Farewell memorized, but doesn't think they have the time or talent to play. When these folks come to Fiddle Camp and leave within the first day playing their first tune, the look on their face is priceless. No one comes out of camp playing like an expert, understand, they only have held the thing a few hours, but they do leave knowing how to bow, tune, and teach themselves. That is the real reason to come to camp - to have your hand held through the toughest introduction parts and leave with the confidence you can take it from there.

This weekend is a Fiddle Day Camp, just a one day workshop to learn. And in March is the next Fiddle Camp Proper (taking reservations now)n but if you don't have the ability to come here and no one around you teaches mountain music - you CAN TEACH YOURSELF. Get a full sized fiddle (4/4) online, get the book mentioned in the video, get a snark tuner and choose to just learn and you will. If I can do it, you can as well. There's no reason why anyone watching this video now couldn't be playing carols by Yuletide, and I mean that.

I hope you enjoy this vlog, it is just an introduction to the very basics, but it might be the inspiration to give this supposedly "scary" instrument a try!


OpenID DeniseM said...

Loved the lesson

November 3, 2014 at 9:33 PM  
Blogger Susan Conway said...

Your turkeys are the best Greek chorus! I love how they talk about whatever you are doing. :)

November 3, 2014 at 10:50 PM  
Blogger mdoe37 said...

Hey Jenna, what is a reasonable price point for an entry level violin? I know your first was dirt cheap...would you recommend that or a slight upgrade.

November 4, 2014 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger Becca said...

Picked up an inexpensive fiddle set up last night and the recommended book will be here Thursday. Joy!

November 4, 2014 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger RaineyDewey said...

Jenna, you seem so fearless and confident and so willing to try anything. Thanks for being an inspiration. You make me think with every vlog and every book. You are a wise person. Thanks for sharing.

November 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Thanks Denise!

November 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Susan - I know! It'll be so quiet here around thanksgiving!

November 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Mdoe: Honestly, you are going to sound just as raw and new on a thousand dollar fiddle as you will on a fifty dollar one. I think the best intro price is what you can afford, if you are meant to be a fiddler you'll sound great on whatever you have and "level up" by getting first better strings and rosin, and then getting a better bow. But if you want a brand and price I have seen (and played) this fiddle do very well.

I play an acoustic/electric Silver Creek I bought on
sale for 350 a while ago. It's a darker finish than this one pictured. It's the one in this video.

I honestly think buying an entry level instrument under 100 bucks and taking it to a music store for helicore strings and some Hill cake rosin, and you just made your 80 fiddle sound like a $600 fiddle for the cost of new strings and a 15 cake of decent rosin.

November 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Becca! Congrats - read what I wrote to MDoe about strings and rosin!

November 4, 2014 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Rainey - you sure made me smile and I needed it!

November 4, 2014 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

Sweet! Thanks! For being inexpensive and barely used, it really doesn't have a bad sound. I need to take some sandpaper to the rosin though. It's giving me fits about getting going. Already had the store turn the bridge around the right way. Lol

November 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger Gelfling said...

How is Maude doing??

November 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

Always inspiring Jenna. Thank you for the lesson.

November 5, 2014 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Using my webcam I took a video of the first two times I played the fiddle. I included a shout out to you in it, Jenna, but I can't figure out how to upload it without pretty much signing over my YouTube account and privacy to YouCAM. Bummer! I wanted to share it.

December 29, 2014 at 7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home