Thursday, November 13, 2014

Passable Dragons

It is snowing outside, and the first white cloak of the year is covering the farm. I just came inside from throwing a tarp over the hay bales in the back of the truck. There are just three back there, enough to last a short while (till after tomorrow’s breakfast rounds) until I can head out and grab more from Nelson Greene up in Hebron. It was dark and I did a quick job of covering the hay bales, which had a light dusting of sugar on them already. But the sound of the crinkling plastic blue tarp made the sheep think I was rustling with sacks of feed and so they can bursting from their dry pole barn, leaping down the hill between the flakes, bleating like lawless children.

The sheep were disappointed. There was no corn or grain. I covered the hay and wished I bought tarps for the exposed parts of the wood pile. I stopped myself from letting out a four-letter word. This would only be an inch of snow at the most and would melt in plenty of time for me to remedy the situation. Plus, why stain such a beautiful night with angry sounds?

Merlin didn’t agree. He let out a demanding whinny into the night air. Smoke and steam came from his mouth in the cold dark and it made me think of Chinese dragons from my college history books. Those dragons always had hair like lions and long snouts. Merlin was passable in the dark.

I came inside with a large armload of firewood to a warm house. It was a good day of mundane and pleasant events. Gibson and I went to the laundry mat in the afternoon, then I let him stay at home and took Annie for a ride over to Patty’s farm. When I arrived at her home she was warming up in front of the large Rumsford fireplace. Those shallow fireplaces kick out a lot of heat! She said she was dealing with a little bit of a bug and couldn’t wipe the chill out of her. I nodded, knowing that all morning the farmhouse was abnormally cold feeling by what the numbers said. It felt colder than the thermometer allowed. I lit a fire and wore a heavy sweater indoors and couldn’t shake the chill either. I think it was a hint of the first snow. Perhaps?

I am happy to announce the pigs did not escape their enclosure today. They did escape twice yesterday though. So, I guess we’re even.

I am tired and warm and looking forward to this first snowy night of the year. I lit a pine scented candle, the horse cart and hay are covered from the snow, and Gibson is asleep right here in my lap. A happy scene, all this. We’ll tuck in without fear of the passable dragon outside the door. We both know he’ll tuck in soon, too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mazie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 13, 2014 at 11:07 PM  
Blogger Mazie said...

Sounds cozy. I can very easily imagine Merlin as a dragon. :) I'm enjoying a cold Minnesota night snug inside with my dog, cat, your blog and a book. Rest well, Jenna...

November 13, 2014 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger Susan Koch said...

we too have just had our first snow out here in Oregon. It's night and I'm at work,snow still coming down.It's terribly cold I worry about my chicken, they desided to molt now. thankyou for sharing your farm life with us, I enjoy it so much

November 14, 2014 at 3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home