Tuesday, November 18, 2014

How Farming Changed Me


Blogger Carrie said...

Jenna, I look forward to every vlog, thank you so much for doing them. My question is: Where do you get your kilts? And what do you wear under them to stay warm and protected?

November 19, 2014 at 8:15 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Good questions!

The Celtic Croft, online shop offers the best Utility kilts for half the price of the "big brands" like utilikilt.

November 19, 2014 at 8:21 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Oh, and I wear (usually) a pair of full seat breaches under my kilt that is either cut off above the knees or left full length. This way I can ride, hike, walk, and my rear is always fearless ! That sounds weird, but you get me.

November 19, 2014 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Here is their list of canvas kilts. I am saving up for a proper wool kilt for winter!


November 19, 2014 at 8:32 AM  
Blogger daisy g said...

It's so wonderful, Jenna, to see you in a state of contentment. Although that word is often maligned, I find it so comforting to know that I'm okay, right where I am. And I'm so happy to see that the life you've created has landed you there as well. We are still working toward acquiring our rural homestead and looking forward to living a more seasonal life, but we are making our life our own in our current space. I'd love to see a vlog about living a seasonal life and how that provides goals, changes chores and varies the leisure activities in your life. Be content, Jenna. It's enough.

November 19, 2014 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Farming hasn't really "changed" me, because gardening has always been part of my life. But I do know that it has made me much more connected to nature, the seasons and the weather. It's also drawn me to connecting with "real" farmers in my community, because I can learn a lot from them. Since I know the work of maintaining my little 14' x 8' bed through sleet, drought and hard freezes, I am truly grateful for the farmers out there doing it successfully 7/365 so I can eat.

November 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Loved that vlog. My thoughts align with yours. I was always mostly conservative, but find myself becoming independent or Libertarian too. The major parties are full of crap lately. As a wise president once said "The scariest words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help'"
I ordered a kilt from the Celtic Croft, and am waiting for it to come; the lead time is 4-8 weeks. Need to find something to wear under it. I can't wait to see what the Oscar Meyer bologna eating Mtn Dew drinking folks in our SW OH community think of me. I could give a dang.

November 19, 2014 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger jules said...

Hats!Hats!Hats! Jenna - where'd you get the hat you are wearing in the vlogs? I love it. This vlog is the best yet I believe. Thanks.

November 19, 2014 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 19, 2014 at 2:09 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Yikes, last link was so long:

thats the hat!

November 19, 2014 at 2:10 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I heard a lot of my own sentiments echoed in your words. You're a few years older than me, but the progression of our respective journeys bears more than a few parallels.

I could recommend a few books that you may be interested in. Ones regarding connectedness to nature, having a sense of place, etc.

November 19, 2014 at 8:14 PM  
Blogger Susan Conway said...

Loved the Goose Parade and Turkey Display in the background. The best part of the vlogs is seeing the contentedness of your animals.

November 19, 2014 at 8:30 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Farming/gardening has calmed me . .. almost better than yoga . . I could sit and watch my chickens or bees for a very long time and be content. which is awesome! Jenna I sent you an email about the student fiddle . . did you get it?

November 20, 2014 at 7:29 AM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

Yes, yes! Fashion is for the sheep of the world (not meaning to malign sheep), but personal style is creativity and practicality rolled into one. I actually think the outfit you're wearing looks great in terms of the lines and textures.

I'm an urban homesteader, and over the last 5 years, my attitude towards hunting has changed dramatically. I not only support it, but hope to join in in the not too distant future. My meat consumption now is all about health and humanity, meaning I buy all my meat from small producers who are raising animals sustainably and humanely, and almost nothing from the supermarket.

Like you, my wanderlust is at an all time low. Everything I'm interested in is close by.

Jenna, some time when you are flush, you might have a special day in which some of your readers help you blow some insulation into the walls of your farmhouse. I mean, it's great to be a furnace, but even fire needs some help now and then! :-D

November 20, 2014 at 8:16 AM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

Karen, love your comment. Jenna I share your opinion on vacations. This year we had so many visitors to our place and fires that lasted well into the night (and a few into the morning hours) because this place is vacation for us and for our friends and family. In the past we would rent a cottage not far from here to get away for vacation. Having a farm and animals has made me stronger as a person and physically. I also have my own style which in the winter means warm socks, warm layers, jeans or yoga pants and my trusty rubber boots!

November 20, 2014 at 2:22 PM  
OpenID farmgirlschool.com said...

I think farming has changed me in many of the same ways it has you. I was vegetarian for a good many years until I realized I didn't have to support factory farms or eat GMO's that are now in veggie meats. I could support a local farmer. Keep my local farm community strong. I used to want to go to bed and breakfasts all the time or go on vacation but I don't like leaving my animals or my little piece of heaven here. I AM on vacation! I feel healthier being out in the fresh air, no longer have a gym membership, am more at peace. I am closer to the spiritual world when in nature and I am thankful every day that I got to go on this journey and that we live in this place. I knew just what you were talking about with the house being 40 degrees but the pros far outweigh the cons. You are still my favorite author and I love the vlogs. Maybe we could take a tour of your farm via vlog? That would be fun!

November 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home