Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Here Comes the Storm!

Enjoy this new vlog, all about getting the animals and farm ready for a snowstorm! A big one is falling right now, and about two inches and near white-out conditions make me very grateful there is no reason to leave house, travel, or fret today. My work will be writing indoors and adventuring outside to make sure the animals are as comfortable and prepared for this as I am.

How is the weather where you are, fellow Nor'Easters? Those of you in the path of this farm, what do you do to prepare the animals? Do you worry about young trees at a tree farm? Do those growers out there worry about their greenhouses or polytunnels? And you folks enjoying summer in the southern hemisphere?! Well, nuts to you. Share your winter prep for farm and family here, because Your ideas might make someone else's winter a lot more comfortable!


Blogger Becca said...

Winter prep here in middle Georgia usually consists of checking during rain or ice to make sure the house isn't flooded or the pipes aren't freezing. It's not wholly different than prep up north, just not as involved or extreme. I've been working on plumping up my family's food stores and trying to remember to pick up extra gallons of water. I'd rather not be like most people that wait for the storm to be nearly on them to try to get ingredients for milk sandwiches.

November 26, 2014 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger Carlos Rodriguez said...

about 5 inches here so far and 7 more on the way!..getting the animals ready is hay water hay feed shovel paths hay hay and more hay...did i mention hay?

November 26, 2014 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

About 3 inches here in WV, though much more than that fell. Now we have fog rolling in through the spruces over the snow.

November 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM  
Blogger A.N said...

Like middle GA but to a great extent, East Tennessee consists of checking the integrity of the roof to safeguard against leaks and damage from high winds and minding the temperature to avoid freezing pipes and winterizing our gardens with green houses. The canning that began in high summer continues, the crocheting that never ceased continues with a stubborn will and great love. Mead is in the making, frames are being painted for the Italian honey bees that will come in spring. We remember that these Dying times are needful and as the snow falls we pour a thin stream of home made raspberry vinegar over our home grown organic basil and remember summer

November 26, 2014 at 6:29 PM  
Blogger Su Ba said...

Glad the hear that you're ready for the winter storm. When I was young like you, I survived living through some tough winters too. Frozen pipes. Forty degrees in the house in the morning. Hand carrying water buckets to the livestock. Chopping ice off the horses' hooves. I give you a lot of credit for toughing it out, girl!!! Been there, done that. But that's past for me. I retired and moved to a location that was kinder on my body, where I could create a homestead farm without having to deal with winters. Not that I don't enjoy a beautiful snowstorm, the crisp cold air, the magic of icicles and Jack Frost on the windows. It's just that this old body can't function too well in the cold anymore. So now my winter prep consists of changing the slope of the solar panels and closing the house windows in the evening.

November 26, 2014 at 11:52 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

We dodged the snow here in Illinois with just a light sprinkle on the ground.Our heaviest snow is usually January through early March. The gardens are cleared and done for the year. My chickens are still out and about in all types of weather, although they seem to want to shake the snow off their feet and commence to have a little dance to do so:) My least favorite task is cleaning the rabbit's pen in the cold. Prolific poopage is not a fun task in the cold. Stay warm and dry. Happy Thanksgiving All!

November 27, 2014 at 9:21 AM  
OpenID DeniseM said...

I didn't realize that I could feed leftover turkey scrapes to my chickens! Thanks for letting me know.

December 1, 2014 at 8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home