Friday, November 21, 2014

Buck & Bucks

I was sitting behind one of my hunting blinds, praying for some good luck, when a wind blew over the farm and the stench of buck filled my nose. Now, I know what you are thinking? You can smell deer? No, I don't mean that kind of buck, I meant the randy and stinky kind you rent from a neighboring farm to impregnate your dairy goats. The smell is something between a wet sheep and a moldy sock, if they were heated up in a microwave together and set on a paper plate in your kitchen. Nothing like manure or carrion, a totally different smell. I guess it's the smell of goat sex and I can say with absolute certainty I am grateful I am not a goat.

The gents name is Saturn and he'll be living at Cold Antler for a month or so. Common Sense Farm let me host him. He's a purebred Alpine. It was absolute chaos when he jumped into the girls' pen! I have never seen anything like it. It was like some cartoon devil, or Krampus in goat form racing around the barn and pen sputtering and bouncing and just the most excited I have ever seen any male (of ANY species) for the possibility of sex. Why pan was given goat features, I no longer question. Madness. Absolute madness.

But by nightfall all the girls (who were not interested in his advances and no goat loving ensued) and Saturn were as calm as old friends. Now the herd outside is a trio for a while, and if they do mate by Yule that means by the end of May there will be kids here again. This is later than usual, two months later, but that's because of logistics and Saturn's services. Instead of bringing Bonita down to stay at Common Sense it seemed easier to bring one goat here. And they needed him attending ladies at their farm first, which he did, but then his dancing card had two free punches and he came here.

This is part of the goat's wheel. They need to be bred in the fall so that kids can be born in the spring, milk can flow, and the farm will have not one but TWO milking goats again. Ida is the Bonita-in-Training since she is 18 months old and Bonita is pushing eight now. I hope to always have a alpine in Bonita's line, she was my first milking goat and a wonder and a blessing. She's been here for three seasons now and I can't imagine this farm without her and her kin!

So goats are here, doing what they do. Wish them luck (well, wish Saturn luck) and perhaps if you have any to spare you'll send it my way. I still hope for some venison in the freezer shot, prepared and butchered by my own hand. It will be a first if I manage it, as I have been hunting for years and have yet to get that lucky moment. Oh, and stay warm guys! 12 degrees tonight!


Blogger A.N said...

I had the chance to attend Kikofest in Crossville, TN this year and penned far away from the does where a few (and one in particular) magnificent bucks. We certainly did smell the boys before we picked them out of the crowd. I wish you good luck in your hunting and warmth when you return to your hearth. Sometimes hunting is cold, lonely work. I was lucky and had my lover to hunt with me on the Broad River WMA in Georgia. May meat fill your freezer. :D

November 21, 2014 at 10:27 PM  
Blogger Nicole Karr said...

this was so fun to read! It was 12 here this morn in NE PA.

How great that you have milking goats. I had an instense lingering dairy goat fantasy for a while but on 1/2 acre with 3 buldings 3 small kids and close to 20 chickens already... I think I'll try later in life. Vlog about dairy goats?

November 22, 2014 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Just finished a lot of heavy paperwork and dropped by your blog to check in. Thanks a million for the goat post! You lightened my heart and brightened my day. Your words are gifts Jenna. Keep on keepin' on and may the deer find you!

November 22, 2014 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm sending you all the luck I have to spare!
Where did you learn how to dress a deer btw? (Weirdest sentence ever.)

November 22, 2014 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger Debby Flowers said...

I totally know what you mean by odor of buck. It is difficult to describe to someone who has never experienced it. I tried in my own blogpost back on November 1. Would love to know what you think of it if you have time to check it out...

Keep on keepin' on Jenna!

November 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

I count a dairy goat farmer among my friends, and when I met her she owned two bucks. She pastured them as far away from the house as possible, and was happy when she finally found someone to take them off her hands. Her life is much easier with just "The Girls" in permanent residence.

November 23, 2014 at 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home