Sunday, October 12, 2014

Raising Meat Rabbits


Blogger Lisa said...

I want to do this so bad. Can't convince hubby yet. I need to find someone who has rabbit, so I can feed him a nice "chicken" dinner

October 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger E said...

Very interesting. As a life-long vegetarian I'm considering raising rabbits as dog food and for fertilizer.

But - did you suggest keeping rabbits in a closed garage?? Surely rabbits deserve the best of care include fresh air and sunshine!

October 12, 2014 at 11:57 AM  
OpenID rawketstarling said...

Thank you so much for posting this video!! I really appreciate you taking our comments & requests to heart: I was hoping you'd do this one :D I've got the nest box built, the pen ready--all I'm waiting for is the breeder to call me back! There was lots of good info in here, I especially liked the bit on holding them like a football :) Rabbit--the best chicken you've ever hard!

October 12, 2014 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Zola Crofoot said...

Every day you have me thinking in a different direction than where I am. Keep it up. My Ciser is bubbling away and this weekend I visiting a milking goat farm in preparation for a spring goat or two. I tried goats milk and cheeses for the first and liked them. I received 3 of the 4 Homestead Memoir books that you recommended, but I read yours first. I have processed chickens the rabbits could be next, Thanks Jenna

October 12, 2014 at 8:01 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Now I will have to watch it again and pay attention to what you're talking about. I was watching the turkeys, chickens and goats in the back ground and wasn't listening through some of it. I love the scenery! And I do love rabbit too. Now I want to raise a few again.

Thanks for the vlogs. I am really loving them all!

October 12, 2014 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Coco said...

Awesome. A great introduction. Thank you.

DH won´t eat rabbit, so I don´t see raising them for meat, but I do think about fibre rabbits from time to time.

And those turkeys are stunning! Can we get a vlog on turkeys?

October 13, 2014 at 3:45 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Do those turkeys have SAG cards? I swear to God they know how to sound off and tail fan on cue. I had to watch more than once to take it all in. Plus we get a kitty photo bomb walk through. Actually, I loved learning more about rabbits.

October 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger jules said...

I have to disagree Jenna. Rabbit tastes NOTHING like chicken!! Rabbit is so much more delicate and tasty. We'll never go back to store bought chicken again (the only kind we have access to). We have 14 rabbits in a 20x30 area in hanging covered hutches fenced at the side of our house, and unless we told them, our neighbors had no idea. And the manure doesn't have to be composted either, you can put it right in the garden. So much can be done with rabbit. Folks have to just get over the 'cute little bunny' image and eat them some rabbit!!! They were a victory garden essential, back in the day.

October 14, 2014 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Well I could do the raising and the eating, but don't think I can handle the inbetween part. I'm such a sucker. Ill starve when the zombies show up, I don't even like to kill bugs. What a pretty rabbit, Id be done with one pet!

October 14, 2014 at 3:42 PM  
OpenID T. Crockett said...

Watching this I kept thinking about Farm City and Novella Carpenter's description of her first time processing a rabbit.

October 14, 2014 at 9:22 PM  
Blogger gavin mckinley said...

Well done! I've raised New Zealand whites in the past. We now have red satins. Good tip on the feet. We have learned that there are some does out there that are poor mamas. I encourage anyone to cull or sell as pets only the "Mommy Dearest" types. Also after four yrs. old does develop cysts on their ovaries and become sterile.

October 28, 2014 at 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home