Friday, October 24, 2014

Make A Black Out Bag!

This new vlog is about something very important to me, basic preparedness. This video is mostly about power outages, and dealing with them in calm comfort thanks to the awesome Black Out Box (or bag!). This covers some inexpensive and simple supplies you can gather (or place around your house) to make the next power outage more of a personal vacation than a panic. I’m hoping this kit is the gateway drug to a little basic emergency preparedness for my readership.

Now, the B.O.B is not my invention, at all. I’m not sure whose it is? But I do know I heard about it on one of my favorite podcasts, TSP (The Survival Podcast). I know what many of you are thinking.

“Oh great, that nice Jenna-Farmer-Ladyperson is one of those Doomsday Preppers Dipshits. Honey, honey, hand me the clicker so I can go see what Pioneer Woman is doing with cornmeal today...”

No. I’m not some whack job Doomsday Prepper and neither is Jack Spirko, the voice of the TSP. That podcast changed my life. It really did. It was one of you fine readers who suggested it to me a few years ago and since then it has helped me burn down my debt (still a work in progress), get the balls to quit my job and start my career as a self-employed woman, and learn about everything from the uses of comfrey (that was an entire hour one day) to bowhunting deer. Mostly, the show is about what is really going on in the world today. And when I say that, I do not mean politics (Jack despises politics, in general) and the show is not for the right or the left, but people who are aware everything isn’t super and maybe they would be happier if they didn’t have to worry so much about money, failing health, and constant stress. It’s about homesteading, permaculture, and farming. It’s also about personal defense, food storage, and community building. Below I’ll post a link to a great introduction to his show which (even if you think all this sounds insane) I strongly urge you to listen to. Play it on your phone, at the office, on your jog, or driving to work. If you are rolling your eyes consider it a bit of recreational anthropology about Libertarians. C’mon Ron Swanson would be proud!

Enjoy this video, and please suggest topics or ask questions for future episodes! Long as you watch these I’ll make them!

Resources for this Vlog:

Ready Candles, Mini Stove, Stove Fuel, & NOAA Radios, etc.

Great First Show to Listen to of TSP. FREE! STREAM IT!

Just in Case by Kathy Harrison


Blogger mdoe37 said...

To quote Katherine Grossman aka Granny Miller

"I’m not a survivalist or a prepper.
I’m a traditional housewife."

Her essay on her blog is excellent regarding this.

Its just what "we" people have always done....What we do can't possibly be weird, we have such better results during tight times and crisis times.

Not sayin, just sayin.

October 24, 2014 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Deltaville Jamie said...

Great vlog! Even though it's pretty much common sense, people still don't really think about it. I've dealt with a tornado, hurricanes, ice storms and a derecho in the last couple of years- the weather seems to be getting crazier with each season. I have all the necessities, but they're scattered throughout the house. I'm definitely going to need to get together a box! (and get one of those little stoves- awesome!)

October 24, 2014 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger ddu said...

Kathy Harrison used to have a great blog too, but she appears to have let it go, sadly. Her book was my introduction to family preparedness: a sane, compassionate, practical read. Best wishes.

October 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger Milla said...

Hello from Finland! You have a great blog and I could identify with this text so easily. Just wanted to let you know. :)

October 25, 2014 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger hart said...

I have to find those led nightlight/flashlights they look great.--hart

October 25, 2014 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

Those LED lights look amazing! I'm not in a rural area but I do have some issues with night blindness (or power outage blindness, as the case may be!) so I may have to get me some of those! I really need to put together a blackout bag. I don't know how many of you readers use hearing aids or cochlear implants, but if you do, make sure your blackout bag contains some extra batteries for your devices. I use rechargeable batteries for my hearing aids, but they have to be charged every night, which of course is out of the question when the power is out.

October 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger Kati said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that another great item for the blackout bag is a LED flashlight/radio combo. I've got a hand-powered one from Red Cross. I'm currently keeping it on my dresser and using it to help get around in the dark (due to my night vision issues) but once I assemble my blackout bag I'll put it in there.

October 26, 2014 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger English sheep gal said...

Thanks Jenna - love those plug in LED lights that convert to flashlights have never seen those before - we usually rely on our headlamps during power cuts(flashlights on an elastic strap) to leave hands free.

Our biggest issue with power outages is that because we have a well for our water, once the electric goes out, there's no power to the pump. So we have a bunch of empty plastic water bottles filled with tapwater stored in the basement that we can use to flush toilets, use for cooking on our campstove, heat for washing, or to fill rubber hot water bottles to keep us warm. We have woolly hats and gloves in our power cut supply box too, as our woodstove doesn't give off enough heat for the whole house.
Another great vlog - keep em coming!

October 26, 2014 at 2:48 PM  
Blogger beccaWA said...

I'm wondering where you get those LED lights for $4? I can't seem to find one below about $10 apiece.

October 27, 2014 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger lemontreelane said...

I've written lists (that are on top of our bags) of last minute items to grab that aren't necessarily in our bags but are still necessary

October 29, 2014 at 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home