Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Harnessing A Draft Horse



Here is a new vlog showing a basic understanding of harnessing a horse. Watch me go from grooming to driving down the road. This is in no way meant to be an in-depth tutorial (it is only 6 minutes long) but a way to learn some new agri-lingo, understand a hame from a collar, and get a taste of the temperament and usage of a small draft like a Fell. I should warn that the most informative part: the part where I attach the hames and belly band - wasn't being filmed when I thought it was. So I just talked at a machine like a crazy lady yelling at her DVR, but it still manages to give you a taste of harnessing up.

Oh, funny story! I was sitting in the front yard talking into my laptop and a neighbor came by to get eggs. And he didn't understand why I was talking so loudly at my computer in my front lawn while shaking chains at it... I did explain but I have learned vlog is about as normal a piece of country vernacular as, well, nothing. I just assured him I wasn't crazy, but I guess that's hard to believe from a woman in a kilt yelling at her DVR in the front lawn....

7 Comments:

Blogger Nicole Karr said...

So stinking fun! You're an inspiration. I know how to tack up but nothing about harnesses and carts. Quiet pony sounds like a great thing when you ride and drive alone. Really enjoyed this video!

October 29, 2014 at 8:21 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Hey, look at you! Harnessing up your own pony by yourself, with confidence. That's pretty darn impressive, right there. Also, I loved the way Merlin started eating hay when you were picking his hoof. There's a sign of a real team used to working together.

October 29, 2014 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

Bahaha...talking loudly and shaking chains at your laptop...wonderful how technology and real life collide like that sometimes. Keep on vlogging on!

October 29, 2014 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger jenomnibus said...

How interesting! How long does it take to harness Merlin up from start to finish (including grooming)?

October 29, 2014 at 6:40 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Loved that vlog, although, not being a horse person, I didn't understand the whole "hook up", but boy howdy! Does that look like fun! To have a horse to take you on fall jaunts! Lucky gal you are, Jenna. And kiss Merlin on the snoot for me. (in case you didn't know, that is the best spot to kiss any animal)

October 29, 2014 at 6:57 PM  
Blogger admin said...

Hi My name is Marie and I'm from England. Does that sound as though I'm at the wrong meeting. Anyway, just a line to say how much I enjoy your blog and books, and also to share that at 54 I am now the proud owner of a FIDDLE, all after reading a previous post. After always wanting to play an instrument I can now begin. I don't know how to play but once I purchase your book recommendation I hope to have ago and master it . Thanks again for a really good blog and KNOW that everything you hope for will arrive. Keep enjoying the journey Marie

October 30, 2014 at 2:33 PM  
Blogger Paradise Found Farmgirl said...

Thanks for sharing. It is so good to see people getting excited about what we already know....Driving horses is fun! I am a proud owner of a pony and a gentle draft (gray perch-like Steele) that taught my family how to drive. My suggestion to anyone getting into driving horses is to get a small pony already trained to drive or adopt a retired amish draft. They make fantastic teachers that have many years of pleasure driving ahead of them after the amish retire them at around 12-15 years of age. They are typically calm, patient and unflappable. Cheers!!

October 31, 2014 at 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home