Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Cannons & Guns

The last few days I have been fairly quiet on the blogging and video fronts: but for good reason, my parents drove up from PA for a visit! They came up Sunday night and joined me and a small army of friends and neighbors for a Game Night and homemade pizza celebration. They got to meet a pile of farmers, falconers, and friends and we drank cider and home-brew and laughed around the table while playing a game of The Resistance.  My father ended up being one of the spies! The cad!

The next day we traveled to Fort Ticonderoga. We are all history buffs (my father is a war veteran and my mother a history teacher) and to see 200-year-old cannons (close up of one of those beautiful monsters above), uniforms worn by British officers, and the same sabers wielded by Scottish horsemen....amazing! I was so close to the red wool jacket I could have tried it on. The view of Lake Champlain and all the forests around was breathtaking, the weather perfect, and I don't think anyone could have painted a better vision of Autumn than Mother Nature did with her leaves for them. It was a great time and I tried to spend as much of it as I could with them. I miss them a lot and try to be a decent daughter (and tour guide) when they are guests of my county.

When they did say their goodbyes and head south I headed into the state game lands for some bird hunting. I didn't see any pheasants or grouse but I did get inspired for the next vlog: Five Reasons Women Should Hunt! It'll be uploaded later today. I hope it gets some of you out there already willing to raise a broiler or pork chop to consider taking on the wildness and wonder of the hunt! I'm a passionate (if, unlucky) hunter and think more women should take on their local whitetails, turkeys, boars, and birds! So check back for that later tonight.


Blogger Ginny said...

I feel the same way when my parents come to visit. Glad you got to spend time with them!
I think I'd like to hunt but I'm not sure how I'll deal with the ick factor! I hope you can address that eventually!

October 14, 2014 at 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home