Friday, September 26, 2014

Winner PICKED!!!

Hey there! Get a comment in here (or a second or third comment) and get entered again for this contest! Winner announced tonight!

Last Thursday, Othniel, Head Farmer at Common Sense Farm, delivered a flock right to my door! 10 hens, 2 roosters, and a free hen duck - driven in a small trailer behind his pickup. His son was with him, and together we moved all the birds into the coop to spend the night in peace away from the Antlerborns. This morning they were let outside in the 37-degree sunshine and made themselves at home. It's good having some fresh blood, since one very hungry fox took out many young birds (and the neighbor's as well) and to have these hearty gals here who just started laying join the flock was a treat. It's also a little bit of insurance. No matter how frugal, or how cold, or how deep the snow: this winter there WILL BE OMELETS!

So, fellow Chicken Owners. I ask you this: How many birds do you keep, and do you keep roosters? Share your chicken story (or chicken dream!) and one comment will get mailed a copy of Chick Days (my chicken care book) and Storey's Chicken Health Handbook!

WINNER PICKED: J.D. Collins! Email me, JD, for your prize!


Blogger Iffer said...

My family and I just received our order of 6 Buff Orpington chicks (all girls) a little over a week ago. There's nothing like driving home from the post office with a peeping box in the passenger seat with the seat warmer on to keep them just that much toastier on the drive home. I decided on no roos. Although we are a good distance from our neighbors, I thought they may not appreciate the noise. And more importantly, since my kiddos are going to be interacting with the chickens I don't want to have to worry about an aggressive roo. Our experience so far has been such that I'm already planning what type of chicks I want to buy next year. My kids both adore the chicks and last night we sang them to sleep with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

September 20, 2014 at 3:10 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I've wanted to raise chickens ever since I heard of homesteading. When my mother used to be an elementary school teacher (up until the mid 80's), part of the curriculum was using an incubator to hatch baby chicks - to teach kids about a chicken's life cycle. So jealous! I certainly never had that growing up!
Anyway, I know I will have to start with just a few laying hens and work up, but I would love to drive up to the post office one day to receive a chirping box of fluff balls. Winters here are pretty cold and long, so I would need a hardy breed like Orpington or New Hampshire Reds. I have a scrapbook with all kinds of coop designs, mostly made of found materials, or a converted shed. I would also construct a little chicken tractor for the garden. Hopefully I will have a place of my own in the next few years, with a large kitchen garden that is fenced off - so the chickens can safely forge during the day. *sigh* That's the dream anyway.

September 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger Sunflower Farm and Petit Creek Lavender said...

Yes, we have chickens two hen houses my Dad's big golden brown eggs free range. Mine a lovely mixed group of wonderful hens who produce a basket of easter eggs for me. We don't count for sure over thirty. Yes to roosters. At the moment four as long as they are friendly I don't have a problem. Ha one time my middle son was going to have a rooster farm he loved them all none of them would fight. We hit over eighty then I talked him into parting with some. :) Not too many rules here as long as I can afford to feed them.

September 20, 2014 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger Maria Crispell said...

We have 9 laying hens (2 light Brahma - my favorite, 1 barred rock, 2 speckled Sussex, 2 golden comets, 1 Jersey Giant, 1 Australorp) and 6 Khaki Campbell hens. The Ameracauna "pullet" I ordered this spring turned out to be a rooster. He was beautiful, but had to go after he viciously attacked my 6-year-old son. We still have some of the Khaki Campbell drakes, who will be going to someone I know who has a pond she keeps ducks on. They aren't aggressive, but harrass the duck hens horrendously. And I don't plan to hatch out more ducks. My husband also has a small flock of Royal Palm turkeys.

September 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Wooshi D said...

I'm staying at a farm with free range chickens, probably 30 chickens and have two stories.

One is of my dog quickly learning not to be curious to a mother Hen, as she is rather protective over her chicks. Over all he has been adjusting to the chickens quite well. He mostly ignores them and will give them an occasional 5 foot chase.

Second story is from my hosts. They saw a coyote rather far away escaping with one of their chickens in it's mouth. They yelled out at it causing the coyote to drop the chicken and ran off. To their surprise the chicken stood up and wandered back to them unharmed.

September 20, 2014 at 6:44 PM  
Blogger Wooshi D said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger gypsyelves said...

Oh, I would love a book! I am desperately trying to get a new home purchased so we can do our little homestead. I grew up on a farm in KS, many years ago, and miss all the farm-y things I had back then. I want chickens, and ducks, and goats, all the farm animals that I can get! Love your blog!

September 20, 2014 at 6:50 PM  
Blogger sarah e blog said...

it is our 3rd year of keeping umpteenth laying hens..raised from chicks a rooster here and there until they get nasty, and usually about 25 odd meat birds all pasture raised the natural way:) it was reading your blog a few years back that inspired me not to be a chicken shit( pun intended)

September 20, 2014 at 6:57 PM  
Blogger Laura Dinkins said...

I have seven hens in the city. I will have chickens till I'm too old to take care of them any longer. I have several friends who got chickens after seeing mine.

September 20, 2014 at 7:09 PM  
Blogger Laura Dinkins said...

I have seven hens in the city. I will have chickens till I'm too old to take care of them any longer. I have several friends who got chickens after seeing mine.

September 20, 2014 at 7:09 PM  
Blogger VTGrown said...

We don't have chickens yet. Went to beekeeping seminar this summer but it was too late to get bees so planning to order some in Feb. for the spring. Also hoping to have chickens in the spring. Trying to get my life and house organized so we can handle bees and chickens this next year then hopefully goats and a horse the next. Trying not to bite off too much at one time as these are living beings we'll be taking care of! We can't wait though.

September 20, 2014 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger Einit Borowsky said...

I all ready own chick days and don't need it. Jenna's book helped me get through raising my first batch of feed store chicks. It's been a couple of years now and we have an honest to goodness home flock of laying hens and a few roo's as well living in the big Palet du poulet we built for them. Some of these birds were hatched and raised here and it's a pretty awesome feeling. Raising your own birds. I highly recommend everyone try to keep a couple of hens in the backyard. Thanks Jenna. Your books rock!

September 20, 2014 at 8:05 PM  
Blogger J.D. Collins said...

I chickened out this year because I felt I needed more education. These books allow me to study this winter and start my flock next spring.

September 20, 2014 at 8:30 PM  
Blogger J.D. Collins said...

I chickened out this year because I felt I needed more education. These books allow me to study this winter and start my flock next spring.

September 20, 2014 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I have had chickens for years. And now that I'm a vendor at a few farmer's markets, I sell eggs. They are a hot commodity right now!I sold 20 hens several months back because they kept getting in my gardens. I just kept 10 hens and the rooster, Black Bart. He's the best roo ever. He takes care of his girls like it's his only job. And he's never even thought about hurting me. When I go out to get them all back in the coop for the night, Black Bart is right there with me, talking to his girls, gathering them up and leading them back to the coop. He crows about 4 times to make sure they are all with him. Then does his clucking noises to let them know where the good feed is. I love my roo. 10 hens and a roo is a good number for us right now.

September 20, 2014 at 8:47 PM  
Blogger Tina Hvizdos said...

We have 12 hens no roosters. The last rooster we had made the error of chasing and spurring tbe wrong person. We was dispatched to the grill. Our hens are 5 production reds, 1 white leghorn, 2 buff orpingtons, and 4 crazy plymouth barred rocks. Only 3 are currently laying, the others are either too old or two young. Happily 6 are too young and will be laying any day now.

September 20, 2014 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

When I lived at home, I had 6 hens of different large breeds, which my dad took over when I left. We think a fisher cat got them...but in my house now (yes, inside the house, in their own little area) are 3 easter egger/Wyandotte mix bantam hens who are tapering off their egg production for winter. Someday I'll have my own property and you can bet I'll have all the poultry I want, hens AND roos! And ganders and geese! And ducks and mallards! And...etc!

September 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger Imagine you will fly... said...

We had chicken for a couple of years now. Mostly about 7 to 10 and one or two roosters. They have their chicken house and eggs compartment.
They were good layers of nice brown eggs.
This year everything is different ... two black chicken are privatizing ... they go their own ways and can't stand any rooster. The rest of the chicken, the red layer hens are hiding their eggs ... as soon as we find and take eggs, they change their hiding place. We don't find eggs for weeks ... and then suddenly someone finds a pile of 20 or more ... and we have no idea how old those eggs are.
It's a real crisis.

September 20, 2014 at 9:33 PM  
Blogger Nancy po said...

We have an urban flock of 3 hens, can't have roosters. I'll get more chicks in the spring, lost one hen recently, and 1 chick this spring was a roo. Had to rehome him. Nice little guy, that was sad... Would love your book!

September 20, 2014 at 11:40 PM  
Blogger Janalynn said...

Chicken hope! My husband and I were able to buy our first home this summer, after pursuing the dream for nine years. We have heeded the advice to wait a year before making any big changes to the land, but are so excited to be here. And I cannot wait for spring to come so that I can start with chickens. And maybe an angora bunny or two for spinning? Right now we are thinking about Orpingtons and Ameracaunas. We shall see!

September 21, 2014 at 2:43 AM  
Blogger Clare said...

Why two roosters? Isn't that asking for trouble?

September 21, 2014 at 6:25 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Currently, I have 7 laying hens and 2 roosters, one of which was supposed to be a hen when I bought them as tiny chicks, from the feed store. I once had a flock of 40 hens, but a fox family moved in down the road and she saw my farm as a banquet. Every year one of them comes back and has her family, but we built a large fox-proof pen so no more chicken dinners! I usually get 4-5 eggs a day and sell the extra to my co-workers who love fresh eggs.

September 21, 2014 at 7:34 AM  
Blogger Katlyn said...

I have 7 hens, 5 Barred Rocks and 2 Rhode Island Reds. I'm hoping to get a few more this spring. I can't have roosters because we are so close to our neighbors, really don't want to annoy anyone. I got my first batch of chickens after I decided I wanted to farm. They are my reminder of what I am working towards: At least 5 acres, with some open land for pasture or raising grain crops, a big market garden, orchard and berry patches, wood heat, solar electricity. And maybe someday some goats and a few alpaca.

September 21, 2014 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger Laurie M. said...

I have five hens -- Earline, Dolly, Cindy, Little Red and Goldie. The farmer I bought the girls from threw Goldie (a Golden Wyandotte) in for free, since she was nearly naked and quite miserable from being pecked at by her coop mates. I separated her out for 6 months, and her feathers have grown back....sort of. She has no tail feathers, no butt feathers, and her wings don't lay flat against her body. They are all sticky-outy, like somebody took a hairdryer and lots of gel to her! But despite her runty, funky-chicken look, Goldie has learned how to stand up for herself. She is feisty and bossy, and chases off the dog when he comes too near. She is first on the roost at night, and first out the coop door in the morning. Goldie will never be beautiful, but she's learned how to flex her chicken muscles and survive. Gotta love a go-to-hell attitude in a chicken!

September 21, 2014 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

We have 7 chickens and get 5-6 eggs a day. :) no rooster because I was afraid our neighbors would be upset. They still comment on how noises they are when they lay! We live on 8 acres but it's all hilly and the noise travels far. We have a silkie for fun and Rhode Islands and cinnamon queens. Our six year old has raised these babies and loves them all. We are about ready to enter into our first winter with chickens. We hope we are ready ;) and I agree on the omelets. Eggs are such a comfort to my pantry!

September 21, 2014 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Anke said...

We got 4 chicks last year in early spring. 2 Easter eggers and 2 Rhode Island reds. Sadly one of the Easter eggers died before she even laid an egg. I did get two more barred rock hens which brings our total to 5 chickens right now. No roosters for us since we live in a subdivision and don't want to upset our neighbors.

September 21, 2014 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger VixieCrimson said...

We have seven hens: four australorps, two black silkies, and my precious baby--a golden-laced Polish named Khaleesi Gomez. We received them day-old in mid-July, and I love spending the afternoon watching their antics. In fact, I'm on my way out now! Thanks, as always, for the inspiration. --Josephine

September 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Jenna.
I currently have a flock of 8 hens of various ages and breeds. No roosters here-my girls beat the crap out of the roosters I briefly had and I am not to keen on all of the crowing!!
Lisa In Maine

September 21, 2014 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

On our quarter acre town lot, (which is currently being offered for sale, see Coldantler Facebook), in our fenced in garden, (and fenced-out raised beds) and small, 6x8 MobileChickenGardenShed, there resides, currently 9 chickens, mostly hens except for 1 pullet rooster.

We happily receive 2-5 eggs a day from this brood.

We're hoping to expand our enterprise to 100+ layers, plus meat birds, at our farm.

September 21, 2014 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

22! We caught the chicken disease, and can't stop accumulating them. We have 20 hens and 2 Roos to guard over them. They free range during the day, and are locked up at night. We have a few different breeds and some mixed... a few Rhode Islands, Speckled Sussex, Barred Rocks, Golden Comets, Ameraucanas, Austrolops, and Big Mama, our 7 year old "Lets just have one chicken to see if we like them" Buff Orphington.

September 21, 2014 at 5:58 PM  
Blogger English sheep gal said...

Excited to announce we have 2 chickens!!! Must be the Jenna influence - instead of constantly talking about it, should we get some, shouldn't we - I went ahead and did it.

For my husbands birthday in July I did the big surprise unveil, a flat pack ark style coop I'd put together, and inside 'the girls' 10 week old pullets, initially known as 'the brown one' & 'the white one'. They came from a neighbors farm, randomly caught from a batch of 15 chicks she had picked up at a local farm store.

We now know Sylvia (formerly the brown one) is a Welsummer, and Pearl (formerly the white one) is a Plymouth Rock. We are eagerly awaiting our first eggs, now they are around 18 weeks old, although the shorter days mean it's not ideal timing.

Just about to move them from the original coop, to a sturdier homebuilt coop. Have been reading up about helping the birds survive cold winters, (we are in Western NY), the importance of insulation and ventilation, so we incorporated roof vents, a window with a screen. Also learning lots of new things about extending daylight whilst generating a little heat with lamps, optimum roost width to allow breast feathers to completely cover feet and prevent frostbite, info about droppings boards and deep litter systems.....

I did buy Chick Days, but know several other people thinking of getting chickens who would love it, and a chicken health book would be very useful.

I love watching the chickens, I sit with them doing my knitting - although I quickly learnt to put the pattern inside a plastic bag after Sylvia jumped onto the arm of the chair, pooped on the pattern and jumped down!

We are both really enjoying having them, listening to all their different noises, watching them focus in on bugs and run/flap over to snatch them up, seeing the enjoyment they get from an offering of garden scraps.

No regrets on starting with chickens here!

September 21, 2014 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger Amy Johnson said...

None yet, but hoping to soon! Just finished reading One Woman Farm and Cold Antler Farm. I enjoyed them both! Wish I lived closer to your farm but alas, I'm in Idaho.

September 22, 2014 at 12:23 AM  
Blogger Tasha Raymond said...

We started off with two comets - Edith and Louise - about three years ago now. We bought them for $50 in a chicken tractor. It was a 4-H project that a little girl on a goat farm had done. We brought them home in a cat carrier and they were really unhappy to woke up when we got them home at about 10pm.

A month later we got a third hen, a little three month old Araucana who had been beat up by her current flock. We bought the three of them a cute little coop that had been made out of a dog house and let them free range.

Thus started the cascade. One year later we bought 8 Easter Egger chicks from the local hardware store. One turned out to be a rooster. Two never showed up one night for bed time. By winter we had a flock of nine hens and one roo. We renovated our old shed to a mini-barn and bought a new shed for everything else.

This spring brought trouble: we had a fox attack that took off one of our sweeter birds and injured another. A month later another attack took Louise, one of our pet birds that was going to live her life out here.(The bird that survived a racoon chasing her, a dog attack, and various battles with her sibling, Edith) In that second attack the roo was a bit ruffled up and fled, and Skee (our little rescue bird). The third attack was a coyote. It napped Skee and then kept trying to come back. I had to work outside for close to two hours before it wandered off.

In amongst all that we had to have our rooster dispatched. He became overly aggressive and was attacking us. I had to carry a stick around the yard with me. If it was just my husband and I, that would be one thing, but we have a young child. The roo had to go.

This summer we raised meat bird for the first time - all heritage breeds - and added four ladies back into our flock of layers. The three Rhode Island Reds and one Barred Rock have melded in nicely.

Right now we have 22 birds on the premise: 9 layers, 12 meat roos, and one roo that we'll be keeping. In order to make a smoother transition for Jovi we're trying to find a young hen to match him up with.

September 22, 2014 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

We inherited a flock of 12 chickens last September. We added 10 Rhode Island layers in the spring and raised 5 baby plymouth rock chicks - we also have a couple of leghorns. I had to look up all of their breeds just now because to us they are just 'the chickens' and our chicks are the 'babies'. We get an average of 15 eggs a day and we share them with our neighbor and family. We feed them our veg and fruit scraps - they love grapes and bread. We don't have a rooster and I'm not sure I'll get one.

September 22, 2014 at 9:03 AM  
Blogger Amy @ CrabtreeStudio said...

Hi Jenna!

We have 4 chickens (the max our suburban city in Minnesota allows) - 2 Buff Orpington and 2 Australorps. We got them as day old chicks, they are 10 weeks old now, and we're crossing our fingers they are all hens (as ordered) but mistakes do happen. Our city does not allow roos, so that will mean re-homing any that turn out to be boys. We built a "Fort Knox" of a chicken coop and run because we have hawks, owls, coyotes, fox, racoons and possums in the neighborhood. We need a secure setup because the smaller chicken limit makes replacing losses very difficult. So far - the adventure has been a blast!

September 22, 2014 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Coop Co-op said...

We have a Coop Co-op right in the city of St. Paul, MN. Four households share in the care and delight of a dozen hens. (Roosters are not allowed in the city.) I built a nice, big coop, another neighbor built the pen and dug a mini-Panama canal for the underground electrical service to the coop. Each household cares for the chickens one week a month. The chickens free range in the back half of a backyard, plus we give them healthy table scraps. If any of the chickens decide to escape for a little adventure, my border collie herds them back home. It has brought our households even closer together, and we share more in each other's lives. It's been a wonderful experience.

September 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM  
OpenID celiaeboracum said...

Right now I have 48 hens and 3 roosters (after harvesting 8 young roos for meat last weekend). In the next month or so I plan to pare down to about 35 hens and 2 roosters for the winter.

I also keep Muscovy ducks, and I'm at 23 total right now. I'm trading 5 of them for a new drake (and a favor to be named later), and I'll be taking the flock down to 8 in the end, with the rest going to the freezer.

September 22, 2014 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger Kelseylw said...

We keep around 16 layers at our farm. Their coop is an old fish house which works great as it already has wheels and is nicely insulated for the winter. We don't currently have a rooster but in the past have had them and they are wonderful for protecting the flock, particularly from aerial predators.

September 22, 2014 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I have a small flock, just 5 hens and a rooster right now. I'm planning to add more next Spring!

September 22, 2014 at 4:48 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

We have four backyard chickens - two buff orpingtons, one Rhode Island Red, and one australorp. Since we live in the city we don't have any roosters, when "Ashrondell" turned out to be a mister we found "her" a good home with lots of lovely ladies. My chicken dream is endlessly raising chicks - all our girls have been hand raised by me in our laundry room, and now they do ridiculously adorable things like run over when we call "Babies!", and sit on our laps.

September 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM  
Blogger English sheep gal said...

We got our first egg yesterday!!! I was ridiculously overexcited about it - took pictures etc

Not sure which of the chickens laid it, been reading up on how the color of the skin on the ears is a good general guide to egg shell color, but I need to see 1 from each hen side by side to work this out - maybe today!?

September 23, 2014 at 6:38 AM  
Blogger JP Swift said...

At present I have 31 laying hens and one rooster. The rooster and 6 hens are 2 years old and still laying great and reside in a traditional hen house. The other 25 hens reside in a 12' X 24" hoop house. All co-mingle as they free range the yard. The rooster is quite busy. As many know when free ranging chickens you at time need to search for eggs. I do often and mostly find them under a variety of greenery. On Friday Sept. 19th I was tending my 100 meat chickens and a Black Austrolop hen was sitting on the lawn acting real funny. She was just sitting all puffed up on the lawn. I didn't investigate as I was in a hurry.
I was doing evening chores later in the day and the same hen was about 20 feet from where I saw her earlier in the day. All of a sudden a bunch of
chicks ran out from under her. What a wonderful surprise! There are 7 of them and they are either black or gray with a white butt. We found the clutch close by under a kayak. There was 6 other eggs that didn't hatch. Animals never cease to amaze me! JP Swift

September 23, 2014 at 8:51 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Right now I have 13 chickens. This is my first flock and they started to lay just a few short weeks ago. I had many roosters as I bought unsexed day olds. All of the roosters were rehomed except one Welsummer. I wanted to see him in all of his finery and I wanted to hear him crow. Silly me, thinking that he would only crow in the morning. He crowed all day long! I tried to rehome him to no avail so the family from the next farm had him for dinner. His name was Gilbert and of course I couldn't eat anything I had named.

September 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger eat said...

We have 25 hens and no roosters. Our ladies live off grid in a 13' Chickabago 5th wheel, with solar powered automatic door. BTW, the door is a must! It's a huge relief to no longer have to let them out every morning and close them up again at night. We sell our eggs at the local farm shop. It's still hot here in Southern Oregon and we're getting 18-22 eggs a day.

September 23, 2014 at 5:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I keep seeing chicken coops on craigslist and getting all excited. I can't wait until the day I can get an apartment with enough outdoor space to keep a couple myself.

September 23, 2014 at 6:46 PM  
Blogger Ellen Seymour said...

I have a story and a dream.

When I was in junior high school, my neighbor (down the hill and up a hill about 2 miles away) asked me to chicken sit for a couple of days and my payment would be all of the eggs I could find. My mode of transportation was a 3 times hand-me-down bicycle. I fed and watered the hens, found some eggs and fell in love with chickens. I gently placed the eggs in my coat pockets and pedaled home again. The eggs made it there safely though in retrospect, that's a terrible place to transport eggs.

Fast forward about 25 years...we are currently overseas but were able to buy a farm stateside a couple of years ago. I am absolutely planning on having chickens. I would love to hatch them but am not sure what to do about the roosters. It's nice to know they can stay with a flock if they behave.

Thank you for writing, Jenna...I especially love your Merlin stories.

September 23, 2014 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger Ginny said...

I don't know if its too late for this or not... But here goes the only story I have.
I work for a farmer during the summer growing organic veggies. He has laying hens, and raises broilers by the 100 to sell. There are, at any given time, anywhere from 300 to 400 laying hens on the property.
They are so friendly, and are often fairly easily catchable if they get loose from their large yards. They get to the point where they will come running to the fence any time we walk by since we always throw all the scraps from the farm to them.
Chickens are a delight to watch, I could get stuck for hours just hanging out and watching them. A friend calls it "Chicken TV" and that about sums it up.
My future plan is to have a chicken tractor that I can move around my pasture to improve the health of the pasture. The challenge will be protecting the chickens from the foxes and hawks that roam the farm. Any words of advice are welcome!

September 25, 2014 at 12:04 PM  
Blogger Karen Talamantez said...

Please don't include me in the giveaway, but I will answer your questions. We keep only 4 hens, no rooster. Our chickens are "stealth". We are not zoned for chickens (but we can have parrots or peafowl. How ridiculous is that?). Our girls aren't laying right now. One is in full molt. We considered giving up our chickens, but when the time came, Mister said it would be "lonely" without them (and he was right.)

But I wanted to say - we used "Chick Days" to get started with our girls. Simple, straightforward information that just says, "you can do this". Now would you please write a book about beekeeping that is similar? Thanks.

September 26, 2014 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Photo Spread said...

Right now I have 10 chickens - 8 hens and 2 roosters. I ordered the "orphan assortment" from the hatchery this past spring so I had no idea what was going to turn up. The rest of the roosters are in the freezer, but I'm keeping the Barnevelder rooster until at least next spring so I can get a new generation of chickens going. The silkie rooster is just to pretty to eat right now.

September 26, 2014 at 3:06 PM  
Blogger Susan Conway said...

I do not have any chickens nor do I plan to get any. But I love reading about them and seeing them on your blog/vlog. So throw my chance into the pool for the books - maybe I'll convert.

September 26, 2014 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Chicken dream! 6-8 chickens hopefully this spring. Looking forward to many colors of eggs.

September 26, 2014 at 5:45 PM  
Blogger Karen C said...

Going to an open house tomorrow for a place with 7 acres. First on the agenda - chickens! My neighbor must have "rehomed" the six that lived behind me this year, I grew very attached and want some of my own!

September 26, 2014 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I have Chicken dreams. No chickens, yet, but I am spoiled by the wonderful eggs I can get from our local farmers.

September 26, 2014 at 6:03 PM  
Blogger JP Swift said...

Last Friday I was tending our meat chickens and I noticed one of our Black Austrolorp hens acting funny all puffed up on the lawn. I was in a hurry to get back to work so I didn't investigate. At evening chores the hen was about 25 feet from her previous spot. I checked the hen out and a bunch of chicks came out from under her. There are 7 little chicks. We have 32 hens running round and didn't realize she was "missing". She was setting on a clutch of eggs I had missed under a kayak. What a wonderful surprise.

September 26, 2014 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger A.N said...

After ordering the Murray-McMurray Hatchery catalog, I was immediately hooked on Buff Orpingtons and the beautiful Black Australorps. Flashes of emerald kissed black feathers and red combs filled my dream space, corner to corner. The idea of them intermingling with golden tails, with dark eyes and good brooding skills made my heart soar. While honeybees will be the first production animal to grace Heart of Home farm, chickens on the lips on all my Clan. I have entered every mother earth contest related to chickens I can get a hold off and a late article has me considering Icelandic chickens in additions to Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps. They are reputed to be hardy and come in a variety of excellent plumage. I keep my fingers crossed and hope to one day have my own flock of biddies in my yard.

September 26, 2014 at 10:08 PM  
Blogger Su Ba said...

I tend to keep around 50 hens. About 35 are layers. The rest are older birds that are destined to the stew pot. For the past ten years I haven't had a rooster. But I'm at the point on my homestead that I'd like to produce some of my own chicks....a move to be more self reliant. Thus I've just recently acquired a few nice roosters. But they don't live with the main flock. I built special pens for the breeding pairs....far away from the house. That way the crowing will be muted by the distance.

September 27, 2014 at 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home