Friday, September 26, 2014

Loving These Vlogs! Loving YOU!

Something special is in the air around here guys? Can you tell? Can you feel it?! I feel the way I did when I just started blogging, thanks to these new Vlogs. I can't tell you how much fun it is to sit down and push that record button! I am already toying with ideas of animal interviews, how-to shorts, motivational talks, and goofy things like "Gibson teaches the gaelic!" because who wouldn't want to learn conversational Scots from a border collie voiced over by a horrible, horrible, Scottish accent?

It's all so creative and fun. I have no idea if they will amount of anything, but I am having a blast and getting up every morning feeling like I'm going on a date to an outdoor concert. But instead of some guy getting me excited, or some band, it is just my own backyard and my silly head. I'm excited to see ME on that little screen, which surprises me because (as you may have noticed) you rarely see pictures of me on my own blog. It's because I'm very self conscious of how I look, being built more like a hobbit than a model. But for some reason the topics, my good dog, and the old-timey sepia tones makes it more of a "show" then something personal and it feels a little like putting on a small play.

So how does it all work? It's pretty darn simple. I bring out my laptop and set it on something (first episode my tripod was a rabbit cage), and just hit record on the webcam. I talk in short bursts, about a minute or two, and then hit stop. I bring the computer into my office and do the editing at my desk with the newest version of iMovie. So all the music is royalty free, all the sound work (which I am still learning) and cuts are done without any training or real idea of what's happening. I'm just basing it off the Youtubers I admire and laugh with, and so far you guys seem to enjoy it?

So I am going to keep making them, often as I can. I am so grateful you are watching them, and even more grateful when you comment here or on youtube. Thank you for doing that! Comments really, really, matter. To some folks it is a metric of the blog is popular, to others it is just a way to converse. I used to be scared of the comments and shut them off, then I just learned to delete anything shitty and keep anything kind, curious, or conversational. It is so encouraging to see the comments and interact this way with you guys. Do you agree?

It seems like another level of intimacy with a readership, turning readers into a viewers. I also think you will get a better sense of the farm and my world through the vlogs as well, since I hope to show them in different locations and with different animals. Today might be "Myths about owning a horse" or "small batch ciser brewing!" So let me know your thoughts? What you want to see? Try to think of it more as segments or topics and less of documentary? For example: it is easy to talk about my experiences moving around the country on camera, cause I can sit and just talks. It's a lot harder to walk around with a laptop and not look like the Blair Witch Project! So things like farm tours and house tours are possible, but probably a collection of cuts instead of walking with a laptop and tripping over geese? Anyway, you get me, you know me, so suggest away! You might find your comment in this post in a vlog soon!

Want new vlogs emailed right to you, before they are posted here or anywhere else? Click here to go to the channel and click the red subscribe button! It is free, helps the channel gain notoriety, and personally encourages me to keep making more!

20 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Keep doing the videos, love them! Love seeing Gibson, such a sweet dog! I just subscribed 🌻
Melissa

September 26, 2014 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Meadowridge said...

I am really loving these!!! Would love anything to do with your gardens and cooking or putting up of things as well...anything animal related is ALWAYS great, and maybe some videos on the Wheel of the Year or seasonal celebrations would be fun, too! Thank you for all of your tireless work and for bringing us along on your adventure. You truly do inspire so very many of us to get out there and just do it!

September 26, 2014 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger Meadowridge said...

I am really loving these!!! Would love anything to do with your gardens and cooking or putting up of things as well...anything animal related is ALWAYS great, and maybe some videos on the Wheel of the Year or seasonal celebrations would be fun, too! Thank you for all of your tireless work and for bringing us along on your adventure. You truly do inspire so very many of us to get out there and just do it!

September 26, 2014 at 9:26 AM  
Blogger Karen Talamantez said...

I subscribed. Can you do a Vlog about your bread? Start to finish. I'd also like to see one "All About Maude".

Thanks,

Karen

September 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I may interview Patty Wesner today, about her farm and life and Steele, her horse!

September 26, 2014 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Maude is in her swan song for sure, she's nearly 11 and when she stands next to the three and four year old sheep she looks like a fragile old lady, because she is! I'll see if I can talk her into it. She is the Joan Rivers of this farm, and I adored Joan Rivers.

September 26, 2014 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger crb said...

Hi Jenna,

I'd love to know more about your sheep and what you do with their wool. Do you spin? Weave? Crochet? Sell it for cash? Are sheep really as senseless as everyone keeps telling me?

Thanks!

- Colleen.

September 26, 2014 at 1:28 PM  
Blogger Juliet Carol said...

Enjoy the vblogs...I've just finished reading several of your books and the videos visuals bring the books to life! thanks...I'll be following!

September 26, 2014 at 1:50 PM  
Blogger Juliet Carol said...

Not sure first comment made it...round 2. I love the Vblogs! The video visuals bring life to your books in a personal way! Thanks for sharing yourself, home, and animals! I'll be following!

September 26, 2014 at 1:57 PM  
Blogger Deltaville Jamie said...

I love the vlogs. It has been a truly horrendously crappy week. Normally I'd high-tail it over to my parents' place (where I "farm") to work the garden and commune with my hens but I don't even have time for that. But your vlog posts gave me some stress relief and the ability to commune with farm animals and laugh at/with someone who shares a similar sense of humor. I hope you continue the vlogs, I've watched these a couple of times today. Also, if I remember correctly, you have a Canon Rebel camera. The camera does pretty good video and that might be used to film clips where you would have to walk around. You might not be in the shot, but you can certainly narrate. Just a thought.

September 26, 2014 at 3:51 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I love the vids, keep going. and do whatever you want, whats mundane and everyday to you is novel and interesting to me. My life is 180 degrees from yours and frankly looks a lot more fun and beautiful. I get you with the hobbit thoughts, Im built the same way and never felt ok about myself when young. Now Im over 50 and don't give a shit anymore, not trying to attract anyone, its much more restful. Kitty pictures make me happy, any critters really. Rock on Jenna!

September 26, 2014 at 3:55 PM  
Blogger Kelseylw said...

"Their faces were as a rule good-natured rather than beautiful, broad, bright-eyed, red cheeked, with mouths apt to laughter, and to eating and drinking. And laugh they did and eat, and drink, often and heartily, being fond of simple jests at all times, and six meals a day (when they could get them). They were hospitable and delighted in parties, and in presents, which they gave away freely and eagerly accepted." - The Hobbit . Personally, I think being a Hobbit (as I consider myself a tall one) is most excellent.

September 26, 2014 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger Susan Conway said...

Love the vlog posts. Totally get the camera wariness (hobbits unite!). Would like to see some tripping geese, actually. An individual vlog on each animal type with frequent updates wold be great. Jasper!

September 26, 2014 at 4:07 PM  
Blogger Sparkless said...

I have a question about hay. Can't you buy those big round bales with the plastic covers and store them on your own farm? Or would you need a forklift to move them around?

September 26, 2014 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Jenna....the hobbit comment made me sad! You are beautiful! God made you that way! You are very talented and I am so proud of your work and your farm!

September 26, 2014 at 6:25 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

You are the queen of "bloggertainment". I love the fun/jokes of the vlogs. Gibson could probably spin off into his own mini series of vlogs w/ or w/out the Scottish Accent.

September 26, 2014 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Hi Jenna,

I would love to see some Vlogs about archery and about the basics of Gaelic!

September 26, 2014 at 9:10 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I love the first 2 a lot! Good job. Very interesting and quite humorous.
Thank you for doing this.

I would like to see some soaping. Or goat milking. Although I have had goats for years, I sold them all this year and miss them now. A little.

September 26, 2014 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Enjoyed it Jenna.

September 26, 2014 at 9:59 PM  
OpenID rawketstarling said...

As I'm starting up my own meat rabbit system soon, I'd love to see more practical Vlogs--how to handle rabbits, what the set up looks like, etc. And not just rabbits, but your other animals too! For example--do your ducks have separate housing from your chickens? Just wanting to get an idea of how to BEGIN to run things! It'd be great to see you actually do it, instead of reading about it. And as I live in Austin, your lovely farm workshops & indie days just aren't a possibility.

September 30, 2014 at 1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home