Thursday, September 25, 2014

A Civil War Letter to Kale

My Dearest Kale,

The nights are growing colder, and the first scents of woodsmoke fill this mountain abode, and it is you that keeps me marching strong. My beloved, for your bountiful curves and succulent nature, it imbibes me with the most pleasant of feelings. I think of thee when I am toiling in field or at repose near slumber. To roast you under a chicken is divine in ways this mortal life does not understand, a taste of the hereafter.

Oh, yee of the crinkly leaf, of prehistoric splendor, without you I am forsaken. For you are stronger than I. I see the frost kiss your leaves, the cold come hard, and yet you remain. You are the original bulwark, the ever-going, the remaining life when all around you in the garden have fallen. I dream of thee. I find myself looking upward, the prayer on my lips not of salvation but of satiation. May I know your sweet taste again, with an abundance of butter and fat, the crispy joy of pork belly, and the   pleasures of a fine piece of toast. For you Kale, are what I miss the most of home.

In your service,
Captain Jennadiah Woginrichinson Boghadair the Third.
J-45th Tennessee Cavalry


Blogger Sweet Maria said...

Your kale is lovely!! Enjoy.

September 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger Viviane said...

Lol I loved loved reading this Jenna! :)

September 26, 2014 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Oh thanks guys! I figured it was an acquired taste, the writing (and the veg!) but so much fun to write!

September 26, 2014 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger Kristen Brockmeyer said...

Now that was just weird. Love it. lol

September 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM  
OpenID T. Crockett said...

I see some future Ken Burns type coming across that post out of context and creating a whole revisionist history in which kale vs collards was a significant issue in the war.

September 27, 2014 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger seagoddess said...

I absolutely hate kale. I equate it with Shakespeare. Tried it, don't like it! No matter how many people try to tell me how many different ways to cook it.

September 29, 2014 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Heather Knoll said...

I feel ya! My love affair with kale runs deep. Can you show us a current photo of the kailyard?

October 1, 2014 at 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home