Friday, August 29, 2014

Merlin is Mine!

Today is a celebration! Thanks to the three folks who signed up for the new November Fiddle Day Camp, I was able to mail my last payment for Merlin! He is finally paid off and officially my horse! The check is in the mail and in the next few weeks I'll have his paperwork and registration with the Fell Pony Society. This has been a long time coming. It has been over two years of payments and while I do not think I'll ever go into payments for a horse again, I can say with absolute certainty it was worth every penny. Unlike a truck or car, horses are not deprecating assets, not if you use them, train them, and make them better partners for people. Over these two years I went from a scared girl on the back of a stubborn horse to a true team. Merlin and I ride, drive, jump, trek, picnic, and shoot archery together. I hope to hunt with him and Italics, a true medieval scene for this mountain. If that isn't appreciating I'm not sure what is.

This horse has totally changed me and the direction of my life. I can not imagine a life without a good horse, not anymore. The confidence, enjoyment, recreation, transportation and sense of overall goodness has never been met before. To ride a horse is to feel strong, connected, fast, and more wild, in all the best ways.

This is a big deal and to celebrate we hope to go for a long cart ride this afternoon. I'm much more of a pony rider than pony driver, but something about the changing weather is altering that these days. I love driving my horse cart if there is a reason behind it: an errand or a visit. Just driving around for fun is no where near as fun for me as riding through the forest and fields, but when you have a grocery list, a case of hard cider, or a day with friends planned I love harnessing up and seeing the world go by at the pace of a trot. It's an eight mile round trip to the Stannard Farm Stand (2 miles by 2-lane highway, 4 by quiet country road we prefer). I look forward to it like Halloween. The open road, the sound of harness and hoofbeats, and a sunny day with the hint of fall around the corner. The first fall I am going into prepared, and that is also a reason to celebrate!

P.S. Updates to Clan Blog (tonight) and the Birchthorn Project (early next week!) coming up with the First Installment of the new novel! Get ready for some Spanish Flu in NYC harbor, 1918!

P.P.S. A spot opened and Fiddle Day Camp has room for 2 more people! I got this comment this morning from someone who was just here for the 2-day camp! Email me to sign up!


Blogger Carley Biblin said...

That must feel so good to finally own Merlin. Maybe a little weird, too, owning a partner or friend. Either way, it's a big accomplishment!

August 29, 2014 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Ha, I think since it isn't a human being I'm okay with the word "own" :) I do own Merlin, at least legally. I also own the sheep, the dogs, the cats, etc. I'm okay with the word. But thank you for the kind comment.

August 29, 2014 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger renate said...

congrats, jenna—so happy for you!

August 29, 2014 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Nicole Karr said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Driving a pony sounds like a blast. I confess, I had to go look up the breed, seems like a great all around little horse- enjoy.

August 29, 2014 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Nicole they are amazing. So versatile, so clever, so kind. I adore this horse and Horses, in general, because of him.

August 29, 2014 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Thanks Renate!

August 29, 2014 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger Allison said...


August 29, 2014 at 4:12 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I know this is a huge milestone in your life. Congratulations to you and Merlin!

August 29, 2014 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger Stewart said...

I just finished reading your article in the Huffington Post, "Let Your Children Grow Up to Be Farmers. "

It's as good an article as I think I've ever read in 47 years on this old planet. Brilliant prose. Well done.


Ontario Canada

August 29, 2014 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger daisy g said...

Congratulations to both of you! It feels good to strive toward a goal and then reach it. What a sense of release! Enjoy!

August 30, 2014 at 6:42 AM  
Blogger Jedediah said...

Congratulations! I remember when you wrote about buying him...two years already?

August 30, 2014 at 8:59 AM  
Blogger margaret minetti said...

yeah for merlin, his forever permanent home!!!!

August 30, 2014 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Montero said...

Huge congratulations! Merlin seems a hard to find sort, and these things come along when they come along. Well done you for spotting his worth and taking a financial chance. May you both grow happy and older together.

August 31, 2014 at 7:07 AM  
Blogger The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

Congratulations Jenna!!! What a lovely feeling to have Mr. Merlin free and clear! Soar on the trails together! You will have many wonderful years.

August 31, 2014 at 7:16 AM  
Blogger Lone Pine Farm said...

Very many congratulations as you celebrate this time with Merlin!

September 2, 2014 at 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home