Thursday, August 7, 2014


I am thrilled to announce that the Birchthorn Kickstarter campaign has launched! Birchthorn is a story I started writing in the winter months here at Cold Antler Farm, a paranormal mystery about my town in the early 1900's, just after the Spanish Flu hit the country and did its worst. The main character is Anna, a widower and sole proprietor of a farm set into a mountainside a few miles outside town. There she raises sheep and gets by, but one night while driving her wagon home from a friend's farm reality skids to the left and Anna is left questioning her sanity while trying to discover just what exactly is terrorizing this small town. A monster? Mass hysteria? Native lore? An ancient magic? We'll find out together, because at this point I only have an inkling of what Birchthorn truly is...

This is my first stab at self publishing and the Kickstarter vehicle is how I hope to fund it. Basically, the people who join the project are the folks hiring me to write the book. But this isn't just paying a set price for an ebook, paperback, or hardcover - it is becoming part of the story! As this book is being written the first 80% will be available on a blog for the folks who contribute, to read and comment, suggest and guess. You'll see the story in its rawest form, the creation process, and be able to weigh in. And Since only the beginning of this story has been written, I have left pledge points open for you to become a part of it, too. Become a victim of Birchthorn or even a supporting main character!

I don't know if any other author has tried this type of funded writing project, one that doesn't just promise an ebook but lets you help be a part of the story, too. And when you pledge to be a part of this, you are also helping this farm out immensely, going into winter and keeping wolves from the door. I have started this story several times and not finished it. I didn't finish it because there was no deadline, no contract, no pressing need. I understand that isn't a very noble reason not to write a novel but with everything else going on here at this little farm, it was always pushed aside for projects with deadlines and editors. WEll, now Birchthorn will have a big contract, all of you, and I CAN'T set it aside once it basically becomes a book deal between us. And there are several perks for all levels.

So What can you do? You can pledge, of course! But also, please share this with your Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest Friends! Email it to folks you know who like reading mysteries, or like the idea of being able to follow along on the road to creation. It only has 14 days to be funded, so I ask you to do this quickly and know each sent email, each share on Facebook, and each pledge is a shining light for this small farm. So I thank you, and I am excited to write and publish Birchthorn, and I hope you are too!

Get to the Campaign here!

Update from 1:30PM

The kKickstarter for Birchthorn has Ten Backers already! Ten folks who all opted to be a part of this story and support the farm! I can't thank you enough! Here's what your pledge means might happen if I reach my goal!

1. I'll be a writer with a mission, a deadline, and a project again! Or as otherwise called: employed! Thank you for the purpose you give, the sense of duty to create a story, and your anticipation for the suspense!

2. The money earned will pay for the publishing and distribution of this Kickstarter-only book. You will not see Birchthorn in bookstores any time soon! This is how you get a hard copy in your hands, the very first edition! And you are a part of it! An ebook might become public later on but right now there are not plans to make this available any other way but through Kickstarter!

3. The small advance included will help this farm in ways you can not imagine and take a weight off my shoulders of some heaviness. I have written about the state of CAF in more detail at the Clan Blog, but to sumarize without drama: this book deal will literally save my farm, keeping it out of threat of foreclosure.

4. Even a single dollar pledge is a sign of kindness and faith, and I hope all who can and want to donate do, and soon! It is over in 2 weeks! And if I don't reach the goal, even just a few dollars below it, I do not get any of the money at all and none of the people who pledged are billed. So know the importance of this, and the need, and be a part of this if you can!


Blogger eidolons said...

The story blog will be invite only with this kickstarter? Will copies be available for purchase for those who can't fund in the next two weeks? Is there any chance you'll add a funding option between $1 and $20?

Wishing you the best of luck with this kickstarter (and hoping I can scrape the barrel to donate before the funding period is over)!

August 7, 2014 at 9:29 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Thanks for the questions!

I may find a lower funding option? I am not sure what the perk would be?

And I don't know if I'll have this as an ebook for the general public or not yet? Right not this campaign is needed very much, to save my own farm!

August 7, 2014 at 9:32 AM  
Blogger eidolons said...

I totally hear you, Jenna. I'd be much more able to donate $10 now and maybe more later if I can find it (poor timing on my part as I just funded an indigogo thing several days ago). Personally, I don't really need the perks. It'd be disappointing, I guess, to fund a project I have no hope of seeing unless I can afford $20. And the more I say that the worse I feel for thinking that $20 is a lot. I'll give it a few days and see if I can't pinch some pennies.

August 7, 2014 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I added a ten dollar option which gets you the first five chapters!

August 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Hi Jenna - I'm not too familiar with Kickstarter - I was under the impression it was for completed projects that needed a final influx of money to be printed or published, etc. for the public. I'll do some more research! Good luck!

August 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Kickstarter is a campaign for crowdfunding a project you wouldn't otherwise have the money to do. In this case, for the next 2 weeks I'll be asking folks who want to fund this project to do so. You don't pay a dime unless I meet my goal, so pledging right now is just that - a pledge. In 2 weeks you will be billed by kickstarter for what you pledge.

This project takes in the cost of printing, shipping printed books to me, mailing to you, hiring an editor, and leaving me with a little to keep this place running. If I can meet this goal I can save this place!

August 7, 2014 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Hey Carrie, per the completed project concern. This is a community-driven project that recquires all the backers support and review to be finalized. So it can't be completed until it is under "contract" so to speak and the backing is there to start writing with the blog readers of birchthorn!

August 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Here is an example of an ebook my neighbor, Jon Katz funded through Kickstarter, and there are many other writing in progress publishing projects on there as well!

August 7, 2014 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger jack mattke said...

kickstarter seems to be run thru amazon's payment options?---I don't see a way to sign in thru paypal to donate/pledge?

I want my pledge to count, but Paypal is my payment option of choice, not plastic----HELP, please

(I could donate thru your usual donate button, but that doesn't help you meet your kickstarter goal)

August 8, 2014 at 3:08 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Jack, the best way to help is to pledge through kickstarter, because only pledges on that site count towards the goal! In two weeks, if I hit the 12k mark, then you will be billed via amazon to collect what you pledge, it is not paypal but I think you CAN opt to pay amazon through paypal. If not, a credit or debit card.

August 8, 2014 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Jack, the best way to help is to pledge through kickstarter, because only pledges on that site count towards the goal! In two weeks, if I hit the 12k mark, then you will be billed via amazon to collect what you pledge, it is not paypal but I think you CAN opt to pay amazon through paypal. If not, a credit or debit card.

August 8, 2014 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

thank you all for your support so far! not bad for the first day!

August 8, 2014 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Angie Dellinger said...

This wannabe tiny house homesteader has your back, Jenna :-)

I've enjoyed your blog for years and am happy to help you make Birchthorn a reality!

August 8, 2014 at 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home