Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Jasper & Dave

So while I know this picture looks like a man's head protruding from a horse's rear, it is not. That is Dave back there, my beloved Farrier, and the guy who taught me how to ride on trails with Merlin. He is trimming the pony's bare feet. I have never met a person who is better with horses, know horses, and trains with more understanding and kindness than this man. Every time he comes to work with my boys he teaches me something new about these animals we both adore. If you are unfamiliar with horses you may not realize the magic he is working here. Jasper is a kind animal but feisty. He doesn't bite or kick but he does scamper and try to outwit you. Dave worked with him for about twenty minutes of natural horsemanship was able to trim his feet without having him in any way tied. There are no posts or hands holding Jasper in place. There is just a man in a very vulnerable place (behind a clever horse) and his tools. This photo, my dear friends, is a happy haiku.

I know there are Whisperers and Celebrity trainers out there who inspire and teach, but Dave is ours.


Blogger live pura vida said...

Love this. At my barn we go the natural route, too. We like to think of ourselves as "on board chiropractors" and not just riders. All the horses are barefoot and we trim them ourselves while they are "ground tied"...just like Jasper. It really does bring you much closer to your horse. Then hop on bareback with just a halter and some rope reins and have a happy little ride.

July 2, 2014 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger small farm girl said...

Those types of people are worth their weight in gold.

July 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home