Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Goat Life

Anyone who shares their life with goats knows all too well that the reputation is well earned. In so many mythologies and traditions the goat (or goat-like attributes) have been associated with wit, joy, frivolity, pleasure, passion and naughtiness. We see horns and cloven feet and we think: you little devils, but we think it with love. Part of living with goats is accepting the fact they will constantly outsmart you, frustrate you, and challenge you - but you are better for it. My fences are better, my feeding regimen is better, and the animals have given back so much. Just two goats and I am set up for all the milk, cheese, yogurt, and soap I could ever want. I trade and barter the extra and any old milk gets poured right into the piglet's trough. And not just little pigs enjoy milk. My older pigs in my barn love it as well and stand next to the edge of their pen while I milk Bonita with happy squeals and open mouths. I can shoot right from the teat four feet into their mouths and that is a scene worth getting up early for! I can't encourage you enough to take on a goat or two if they interest you. I really can't. Once goats are a part of your life, you can't go back.

Bonita and Ida are doing well. They have slick coats, trimmed hooves, and seem happy as Pan himself. Here they are on their afternoon walkabout, realizing that there is grain in the back of the truck. Bonita is already up and investigating and Ida (bottom left) is about to jump up and join in on the ravel. They never did get the bag open but had I not herded them back into the woods they very well may have! I love their afternoon gambol around the farm. Usually it is after milking and all other chores and I just sit and read in the chair hammock while they eat things out of shrubs and trees. Ida prefers apple leaves and Bonita prefers Burdock. They play with Gibson, snort and fart, and just act...well, capricious.

If anyone out there has any goat life questions, reservations, or tips for fencing - please do share in the comments. When it comes to these guys most of us need all the help we can get, but even in our collective fray we like that we share our days with these imps. They put the party in pastoral.

Enjoy this short clip of our afternoon walkabouts. It lasts a short while until a border collie jumps up into my lap and the film cuts out! (Gibson is soooo much better now!)

4 Comments:

OpenID sheepyhollow said...

I can't imagine my life without goat(s) either. I absolutely love them!!

July 23, 2014 at 5:50 PM  
Blogger Karen C said...

Just one caveat - never only one goat, unless the goat has a pal of another species. Goats are pack animals so they need at least one friend.

July 24, 2014 at 10:17 PM  
Blogger blind irish pirate said...

I have so many questions from reservations I don't even know where to start.

1. Where do you find a buck?
2. What do you do with the kid if you are not keeping it?
3. How long does milking take?
4. When are you supposed to do it?
5. Are you worried about milk transmitted disease?

Oh my, I just need to read the book.

July 26, 2014 at 3:07 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

I love my goats! Contrary to common belief that they are the hardest animals to keep contained, they are my easiest. I use electronets and they respect them completely. Only the young bucks test for weaknesses. If they test it too often, I'll let them get "accidently" caught in the net long enough for them not to forget again.

July 27, 2014 at 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home