Wednesday, July 2, 2014


Gibson and I are going back to the vet today for a follow up appointment on his paw. I think it is healing well. He is still inside a lot and not tagging along on car rides as much, but seems to have a solid scap on what was once an open, limping, wound. Many of you sent kind emails, comments, and facebook stories about your own dogs and I thank you for it. It was incredibally kind and it did the trick, because my fine dog is going to be back in business soon!

Important Update: 12:55 PM

I went to the vet today, as I stated before. Gibson had a routine heartworm test. The test came back negative for heartworm but showed that he has a rare tick-born disease that destroys his blood's platelets. Meaning he could die of internal bleeding if the blood being tested right now comes back as seriously infected. If that is the case, there is nothing the vet can do. If the test comes back normal, that means we may have caught it in time to knock it out with antibiotics. Either way this comes as a hit to the farm.

I could lose him and there's nothing I can do about it.

Important Update: 5:21 PM

Gibson's CBC test came back okay, Good red blood count! The vet explained that he is not in danger now and either he will live with this as a dormant part of his biology or it will come out in a chronic form later, and I should keep an eye on him for lethargy and other symptoms, which could pop up any time but right now I do not have to worry about it. So relieved!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Gibby!! Love you good boy! Is Annie Banany sharing the fan? Tell her she better or no treats for her.

July 2, 2014 at 11:30 AM  
Blogger Maggie in Tally said...

O. God.

July 2, 2014 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger Big Sky Chicken Ranch and Victory Garden said...

Sending some extremely positive thoughts your way!

July 2, 2014 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Oh how scary. No worse words, we cant do anything. Keeping fingers crossed... hugs too

July 2, 2014 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

What a scary time for you right now! How long do you have to wait to find out? That's the worst part; the wait.
Will keep you and Gibson in my thoughts and prayers.

July 2, 2014 at 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curious what test is being done? I work at a veterinary diagnostic laboratory and am wondering exactly what they're doing to determine the severity? We generally report out anaplas as + or -.

Hugs to you and your pup.

July 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curious what test is being done? I work at a veterinary diagnostic laboratory and am wondering exactly what they're doing to determine the severity? We generally report out anaplas as + or -.

Hugs to you and your pup.

July 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

Yikes. That really sucks. Keeping you and Gibson in my thoughts today, and I hope you get some positive news back very soon! xo

July 2, 2014 at 2:09 PM  
Blogger ~Bettie said...

Oh, Jenna! I'm sorry to hear this. I hope the blood test comes back with news of being able to treat Gibson.

July 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

So sorry to hear your news. Let's hope everything turns out around as quickly as possible.

July 2, 2014 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Oh no...This just can't happen

July 2, 2014 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

The test came back +

they said they would run a CBC test, that is what I am waiting for hear back from. If this was caught early then it is a antibiotic treatment and he should be okay. Or it could lay dormant. or it could kill him.

July 2, 2014 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger Ellen Rathbone said...

Oh, Jenna - my heart goes out to you. Hope it turns out okay!

July 2, 2014 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger English sheep gal said...

Hope you get the CBC results soon (complete blood count), I know in cats high white cell count can indicate an infection, and other readings such as eosinophils can show if related to parasites - but I'm just the receptionist, not a vet tech or Dr, no idea how they'd differentiate between infection associated with the paw injury, and the blood infection. So hopefully the vet has good news for you. What a good job you went ahead and did this routine testing though, hopefully gives you the chance to catch it early enough to treat. Thinking of you and Gibson today.

Sure you can't focus on anything else right now, but I just picked up our first ever chickens, have 2 waiting in a little ark outside which I built from a flat pack, now proud owner of an electric screwdriver! Present for my husbands birthday surprise. Took some Jenna 'just do it'! practical theory, instead of 'what if' ing about it....

July 2, 2014 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger Robin Follette said...

Crap. I'll be checking back in for an update and sending thoughts of thoughts and energy.

I lost one of mine last week.

July 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Kristen Brockmeyer said...

Oh, my fingers are crossed so hard for you guys.

July 2, 2014 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger Kitty Betzoldt said...

Surely if he has a serious blood disease, he wouldn't have healed so well from his paw injury. Have hope! If the test comes back badly, please ask them to treat him anyway because you just never know. I'm sure a lot of us would be willing to pay something toward his treatment. Hang in there, Jenna. {{{Hugs}}}

July 2, 2014 at 3:56 PM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

Awful. Ticks are truly devil spawn. Hoping all will be well for you and your boy. My little rescue is Heartworm positive, and I'm agonizing over Quick Kill, Slow Kill ... so difficult to decide the best route.

July 2, 2014 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Montero said...

My dogs mean EVERYTHING to me, and I know yours do to you too. Nothing is worse than waiting for life or death results like this. We're crossing fingers and paws for you & Gibson here.

July 2, 2014 at 5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to read the (good news) update... Stay strong, Gibson

July 2, 2014 at 6:48 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

Whew! I've been thinking of you two all day. So glad to hear he's ok. Enjoy the extra snuggles tonight.

July 2, 2014 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger doglady said...

So which tick borne disease is it?

July 2, 2014 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Wow, am I glad I didn't see this post until the second update! I can only imagine your relief.

July 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM  
Blogger Vicki Alderman-Watt said...

Was reading your posts backwards and until I got to the good news my heart was breaking for you. Sending reiki your way

July 2, 2014 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger Coco said...

So glad to hear Gibson's going to be OK. Whew!

July 3, 2014 at 3:48 AM  
Blogger Robin Follette said...

What a relief. Phew. He's young and in otherwise good health. You're both strong. What a relief.

Is it Powassan?

July 3, 2014 at 6:20 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh boy, that's scary :( Get well soon, Gibson!

July 3, 2014 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger margaret minetti said...

glad to hear he has more time , ive lost a couple heart dogs way too soon, take everyday for the gift it is with him.

July 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home