Thursday, July 3, 2014

Fields Found

I was the kid that ran away into the woods at camp. I was the one at school drawing on desks. I was the one who left my cousins alone to play with my siblings and walked the neighbor's dog instead. I was an odd child. But looking back now that oddness wasn't so much odd as it was curious, mostly curious about animals and nature. To escape from the everyday just a little bit and find something new—something right under my nose—that was the biggest rush. So when I was old enough to play outside until the streetlights came on I went exploring. I hiked, biked, walked, and trespassed. It was stories like Narnia and Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher that made me look for magic in the mundane. Could this closet take me to another world? Was this rock actually a dragon's egg? I new the world was vast and magical, but it was the easter eggs in my own neighborhood that filled me with quiet thrills.

A few years ago my friend Brett came to visit the farm with his Haflinger, Dolly. We saddled up and went or a ride on the property across the road from me. I had not explored far with Merlin yet (I was still nervous as a new trail rider to venture too far from my home and the safe road), but Brett encouraged me to head up into the mountain. We rode up the big hillside you see me photograph all the time here, the one with the single birch tree and the mountains all around my little property. And just past that view was this dirt road that opened to fields up high, the ones you see pictured here. Fields Found! I will always remember following a good friend on his golden mare, seeing that sunset view of those grassy fields before us, and feeling like the little girl with Mr. Reardon's German Shepherd sneaking into wild backyard. It's a memory that will always stay with me, as exciting and brave as any plane ride to India to this rural heart.

I know the world is big, but so many fields can be found close to home. Find adventure where you are, invite a friend, and break a few rules. You'll be better for it.

11 Comments:

Blogger Juanita said...

Beautiful - the fields, the memories, the writing.

July 4, 2014 at 3:42 AM  
Blogger aart said...

Ha ha, yes, me too!!

I would climb a tree a whole 10 feet off the ground in the 30 foot wide 'wooded' strip that separated backyards the length of my suburban block and pretend there were no houses in sight.

I'd travel home, from seeing the 'My Side of the Mountain' movie in town, down another much larger block of backyard separator strip that held more trees and a small creek.

There were many places, mostly just little bits of unbuildable land because of creeks, that offered a glimpse into nature, it's creatures and a respite from concrete.

Finally 25 years later, I realized my dream of living with my very own 15 acres of woods in which I can sit in a place where truly no houses can be seen. Ahhh.

July 4, 2014 at 6:32 AM  
Blogger Jamie DiEmidio said...

I can relate to your article for I did the same. My dad grew up on a farm and while our visits I would wander through the corn fields and all the vegetable fields. While my father would give a yell that it was time to leave, I would purposely hide and seek type of game. how I loved that place~
I love reading your blog and most recent reading your book. I would love to do an internship or a volunteer during my summers off. Yes, I am a teacher and would to learn and help around your farm for a week or two. Not sure you take interns or volunteers but if so, I would be most interested~

July 4, 2014 at 7:33 AM  
Blogger Jamie DiEmidio said...

I can relate to your article for I did the same. My dad grew up on a farm and while our visits I would wander through the corn fields and all the vegetable fields. While my father would give a yell that it was time to leave, I would purposely hide and seek type of game. how I loved that place~
I love reading your blog and most recent reading your book. I would love to do an internship or a volunteer during my summers off. Yes, I am a teacher and would to learn and help around your farm for a week or two. Not sure you take interns or volunteers but if so, I would be most interested~

July 4, 2014 at 7:34 AM  
Blogger Jamie DiEmidio said...

I can relate to your article for I did the same. My dad grew up on a farm and while our visits I would wander through the corn fields and all the vegetable fields. While my father would give a yell that it was time to leave, I would purposely hide and seek type of game. how I loved that place~
I love reading your blog and most recent reading your book. I would love to do an internship or a volunteer during my summers off. Yes, I am a teacher and would to learn and help around your farm for a week or two. Not sure you take interns or volunteers but if so, I would be most interested~

July 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM  
Blogger Jamie DiEmidio said...

I can relate to your article for I did the same. My dad grew up on a farm and while our visits I would wander through the corn fields and all the vegetable fields. While my father would give a yell that it was time to leave, I would purposely hide and seek type of game. how I loved that place~
I love reading your blog and most recent reading your book. I would love to do an internship or a volunteer during my summers off. Yes, I am a teacher and would to learn and help around your farm for a week or two. Not sure you take interns or volunteers but if so, I would be most interested~

July 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM  
Blogger Jamie DiEmidio said...

I can relate to your article for I did the same. My dad grew up on a farm and while our visits I would wander through the corn fields and all the vegetable fields. While my father would give a yell that it was time to leave, I would purposely hide and seek type of game. how I loved that place~
I love reading your blog and most recent reading your book. I would love to do an internship or a volunteer during my summers off. Yes, I am a teacher and would to learn and help around your farm for a week or two. Not sure you take interns or volunteers but if so, I would be most interested~

July 4, 2014 at 7:36 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Lindsley said...

"there are no wider fields than these, no worthier games than here may be played."--Thoreau

July 4, 2014 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Jess Sheppard said...

Jeremy Thatcher Dragon Hatcher was one of my FAVOURITE books!

July 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM  
Blogger barbsbirds13 said...

Never missed a Tarzan and Jane movie. Then I'd concoct some sort of jungle outfit from whatever I'd find in the giveaway or mending boxes and go play jungle girl in the wilds of my Kauai island home. Now and then Wonder Woman would capture my imagination so another costume - as WW, leaping ditches and running through the woods and fields in company of my little dog, Doggen. Didn't realize I was 'different' until decades later. Now I revel in it, public opinion no longer a problem.

July 4, 2014 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Karen Talamantez said...

We went walking through the woods, shooting our arrows at plastic targets. 3 (older) folks thrilled with being outside and playing. 1 (much younger) person, complaining that there were trees(!) in front of targets, snakes in the wilderness, and HEAT in the Florida summer. Some people don't see Narnia. No magic for them. How sad is that.

July 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home