Thursday, June 5, 2014

Young Turks!

Meet the two new additions to the farm! A young Narragansett and Bourbon Red tuyrkey! They came out of a barter deal struck while haying earlier this week. My friend Joanna and I were stacking bales in Patty's barn when the conversation of birds came up. She lost most of her laying flock to a fox. My female turkey hen is laying on eggs that will never hatch (bless her heart). And so a place of need met another and we made a deal! Joanna and her husband Greg have 42 of these birds they raised from poults and I am rasing a couple dozen young laying hens and meat birds. I traded four hens for two young turks. Not a bad deal!

These two have upgraded my little flock of gobblers to half a dozen. I'm not sure of their gender, but I find they taste the same regardless. I've been proud to provide Thanksgiving Dinner's main course for the past few years and I don't take the responsibility lightly. It's become an unofficial tradition to slaughter on Tuesday by the headlights of my truck, plucking and preparing with two good days of fridge rest for the fresh bird to settle in. That's the way to do it!

Birds here are raised along with chickens, geese, and the occasional ducks with complete free range on the wetlands, streams, woods, and hillsides of Cold Antler. I like them. They add a Snuffelupigus flavor to this place, that slow and kind manner. They are curious, approachable, and when the males hit their prime: stunning. Just ask Lucas, the Big Feather Honcho around here. Here's a picture taken this past winter, he kinda steals the spotlight!

2 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Jenna, I thought that last photo was an old-timey holiday postcard!

June 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger Cat H said...

Nice pic! Will you ever start selling shares of turkey?

June 5, 2014 at 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home