Sunday, June 1, 2014

King of Ace Hardware

I love my local hardware store: Noble Ace in Cambridge NY. So does Gibson, who decided on his own to jump up on the counter for the cold feeling while I was buying a sack of sheep feed. In some places this would cause a series of angry conversations. Here all the folks just laughed, scratched ears, and an older woman with a sheltie and I started a conversation about dogs. Gibson was handed a biscuit and I left with a bag of Blue Seal.

Come to think of it, Gibson goes into a lot of stores. I don't ask if it is okay, either. I just take him in. The only places I don't take him are placed selling plants or food (for obvious reasons). But Gibson and I walk into Tractor Supply, the Bank, Hardware, Book, and General stores all the time together. This is not done in an act of social defiance, I'm just so used to huim always being beside me. Sometimes we are asked to leave (always national chains) and I explain I will after I pay, but nearly every independant shop around here has pile of bones behind the counter and happy clerks ready to meet a customer they already know they will like: a dog.

I know some dog owners feel this is irresponsible to the public since certain people fear dogs, are allergic, or whatever. For that reason I don't bring Annie, who looks like a wolf and will shake and cover a store with dog hair. Some folks just like to complain and point at Gibson and say "That isn't right!" but I have a zero-tolerance policy for the recreationally offended. I'm also not a very sensitive person when it comes to folks who dislike dogs. I understand them about as much as I understand folks who throw up when they are hugged. They gross me out.

Do you guys bring dogs into local stores? Is it common where you live as well?


OpenID thegirlwithahammer said...

I take my dogs into certain stores for sure. Petco, and home depot are both totally open to it. My local bank keeps biscuits behind the counter. If my dog wasn't an asshole to other dogs I might take him in the hardwear store some days but some days the sketchy little fuzz ball that lives upstairs is there and I'm not sure that would work out well. Other stores I think t would feel pretty weird to try to bring my pups in.

June 2, 2014 at 12:18 AM  
Blogger renee said...

When I lived in Denmark I had left my Border Collie in the van with the window open. I went into the Post Office two blocks away. Now this was a modern building with doors that opened automatically. Who was the next customer to come in wagging her tail?
She also found me at the local agricultural show. Had run a mile and dodged the officials to get in free and found me amongst 30000 peole. Everyone was so impressed.
And a bit of useless information- In Denmark Post men/women always have dog biscuits with them to befriend canine they meet on their rounds. I cannot remember how many kilo the Post buy every year but I do know it is not small amounts

June 2, 2014 at 12:23 AM  
OpenID cestlavietlb said...

"...the recreationally offended..." what a great phrase!

June 2, 2014 at 6:35 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I wish could take credit for it, it's from a reader on facebook but it implies!

June 2, 2014 at 7:35 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

There is a big discussion on this over on my facebook page! I'm there under Jenna Woginrich.

June 2, 2014 at 7:35 AM  
Blogger emcr1229 said...

I take my little man to the nursery and the pet store. Otherwise it's pretty much frowned upon where I live

June 2, 2014 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger Sammy Q said...

I take my pup wherever I can!! Living in NYC, it's actually becoming increasingly popular. We go to the bank, clothing stores, convenient stores, restaurants (with outdoor seating)... There's even a bar in brooklyn that encourages you to bring your dog in and sit outside in the garden out back!

June 2, 2014 at 12:54 PM  
Blogger Wellfleetgal said...

I live in a town tbat does not welcome dogs,which I find amusing as well as depressing, since screaming spoiled children are allowed everywhere.
Every one of my 3 dogs are mkfe well behaved on any given day.

June 2, 2014 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

You should bring him to The Netherlands..they take dogs everywhere..and I mean everywhere..stores,deli shops,anywhere you can sit and eat or shop, you will find a dog!

June 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger DarcC said...

I take my dog(s) to the local feed satire, and one national chain that welcomes dogs is Lowes. My Tiffy has her own fan club there!

June 4, 2014 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

When I lived in England, I was delighted to see that dogs were allowed everywhere -- in restaurants, and on the trains, for example. A truly civilized place, and contrary to what the 'recreationally offended' might suppose, no one died of salmonella, allergies or dog bite! I take my dog(s)-- formerly two Greyhounds, now a Broder Collie/Blue Heeler cross -- everywhere, and have to contend with the do-gooders who break into your car on a day when the high is 64 Fahrenheit in order to "rescue" your pooch from certain death from heat prostration. Arrrrrr! (I thank them for their good intentions, but that actually happened to me on a day where the high was 64. :-/)

June 7, 2014 at 7:21 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

I live 45 minutes from Bar Harbor Maine (just outside Acadia Natinoal Park). Many of the stores and restaurants there are extremely dog-friendly. There are water bowls outside of many shops, and signs welcoming well-behaved pooches inside to shop with their owners. During off-season last year I did my christmas shopping with my border collie/lab cross Myah, and had the best time. We supported many small, local businesses, got the shopping completed, and all with my baby beside me. :) There was only one store where I got an eyeball, but no commentary followed that. I did leave her tied outside the chocolate store, but there are many restaurants who will allow dogs on the outside seating areas (and one that I know will sometimes allow indoors on bad-weather days).

June 18, 2014 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger sandalfoot said...

It clearly varies from store to store and location to location. I remember in Annapolis, MD, there were water bowl outside most stores, as there are in my son's neighborhood in Chicago. But that is water outside. I find like you do that most stores other than food will deal with it. Some happily some not. Customers are another story....also being a dog person, I almost laugh at some reactions. What do they see, a bear? Like bikes on the road, smoking in public places, etc, etc it is in the eye of the beholder. I would be delighted to see you and Gibson walk into our Ace Hardware!

June 25, 2014 at 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home