Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Goats being Goats

My two Alpine Dairy goats are named Bonita and Ida, and here they are sharing their landscaping talents for free. Every day I let them out for a while of their pen and they run around and kick and snort, eat, steal chicken feed, and follow me back into the woods. Bonita is still being milked but only once a day at this point, and her production is at a solid half gallon or more a day. That's half of what she was producing but as the weather heats up her biological clock tells her to produce less. I mean, if you raised a kid that ate green things and green things were everywhere, you'd get tired of nursing too! I think folks like seeing goats being goats, so here is a snapshot.

Notice Gibson is keeping close watch on the chick tractors. Very important.

9 Comments:

Blogger Sammy Q said...

What a cozy-looking picture!! Your farm looks so warm and wonderful :)... I love Gibson "lurking" in the background there...

P.s. Goats are AWESOME

June 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

thank you so much, that means so much to me. So often I find myself apologizing and ashamed of the farm because of old, bad, fences or the dump in the woods. Truth is that this place is beautiful, and I better start loving it more!

June 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

thank you so much, that means so much to me. So often I find myself apologizing and ashamed of the farm because of old, bad, fences or the dump in the woods. Truth is that this place is beautiful, and I better start loving it more!

June 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

And goats are awesome! what other animal gives you tacos AND cheese?!

I guess cows....

June 3, 2014 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger Jessica Meeks said...

I wish I was comfortable letting my girls go for a stroll in my yard, I'm afraid they would bolt for the honeysuckle on the other side of the road or the rose bushes at our neighbors! Your girls are beautiful Jenna and I love reading your blog, makes being away at work a bit more tolerable.

June 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger Cat H said...

Mamacita Bonita, you beautiful girl you!

June 3, 2014 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger Justine said...

I agree with Sammy I love seeing photos of your farm nothing about it is run down its just well worn and comfortable just like the favorite pair of slippers or the favorite robe that you always chose to cuddle in... it must be truly amazing to be able to come home to that!

June 4, 2014 at 7:28 AM  
Blogger Sammy Q said...

All I have to say to you, Jenna is that you have to start SOMEWHERE and I think you're making awesome progress (also not gonna lie, definitely going to miss hearing your stories of escaped ewes and lambs once that fence is fixed! I love how Gibson is such a great help to you -- so much more than a companion)… As one of your other readers so aptly noted, your blog is such a great relief from my monotonous day job!

June 4, 2014 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

I love goat cheese!

June 8, 2014 at 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home