Thursday, June 19, 2014

ANTLERSTOCK 2014!

So plans for Antlerstock have been building, swirling, and coming into fruition. Professor McLeod and I have been talking and it looks like this October is going to be one to remember. For those of you who do not know what Antlerstock is, it is a small, private homesteading Festival held here at Cold Antler Farm for two days. Each morning of the weekend starts at 9AM and the activities go until 5PM. Several instructors are present, with many activities going on all over the property. Inside the farmhouse I might be talking about starting the cycle of fertility on your farm with compost and gardens, a warm conversation by the fireside with coffee or hot cider for those not ready to head outside into the crisp autumn air. Outside there might be a tent with someone explaining how to create sourdough bread starter, answering questions with notepads of eager listeners writing away. Back in the forest trails Brett might have two volunteers with a crosscut saw taking down a tree and teaching safe backyard forestry, the old fashioned way. And so forth, and so onward. The day is humming with as much activity as a beehive in June.

Classes last about an hour or two tops, and are meant to build on each other as the weekend progresses. So for example: Let's say some new lumberjacks take down a tree in the forest. Then we'll come back and learn to harness a horse for logging, and ground drive it back to the woods where we will pull logs thanks to Merlin. Then another class on safe wood splitting and axe handling will be taught by Brett. For those not as interested there will be soap making, spinning wool by hand, and other domestic arts being taught. And so it goes all weekend! Most of the arts and crafts are on Saturday and Sunday is all about animals and food.

Saturday Night there is a big campfire with music. Bring your instruments and singing voice! It's a BYOB potluck and considered an "after party" of sorts, but that fireside will still include a lot of farm talk, stories, things we can't blog about, and side conversations. Part of me feels this is the heart of the event! Because this night

Brett is offering to bring back some of his usual events this year, and I'll be adding more. Here is a sampling of what will be covered at Antlerstock 2014:

Backyard Lumberjacking: Learn how to use traditional woodsman's tools to harvest firewood.

Archery 101: Safety, technique, and the love of the bow! Target practice as well.

Sourdough Bread: Learn to make starter and bake this American Favorite!

Wool to Yarn: Watch wool cut off the back of a sheep get washed, carded, and spun into yarn! Learn to do this with just some dish soap, dog brushes, and a drop spindle!

Cider Pressing: Brett will bring his cider press and apples from trees right here on the farm will be shaken, pressed, and turned into cider!

Pumpkin Carving: Pumpkins will be set at station to carve all day when you have a moment, so we will have a lit path to the campfire Saturday Night!

Herbalism 101: Learn how plants can heal!

Prepping & Food Storage: An introduction to this misunderstood but important lifestyle. It could save your life in an emergency and help ready you for worse times.

Sheep, Chicken, & Pigs: A homesteader's trio - why these animals work so well on a small farm! What it costs to house and feed them and why you should get three lambs and two pigs next year!

Mountain Music: Try out a few instruments, bow a fiddle, learn basic dulcimer 101. Instruments will be for sale and a used instrument tag sale as well!

Barter Fair: Bring your old or well loved homesteading books, tools, crafts or wares and set them out on your barter blanket. Enjoy trading your stuff for others under the autumn sky! it's a BYOblanket event so we'll have a section of pasture just set aside for bartering and a time and place set to hold forth!

The Farmer's Horse: Learn what horses can do to make your farm, and life, better!

Goats & Soapmaking: Want to get your goat? Learn to make soap in a quick demonstration and talk about why milk soap, goats, and life on the caprine side is a little more fun.

AND MORE! I'll be getting guest speakers from the community, local writers, and experts to come and talk. Events will be added, possibly spilling over into Friday Night.

How to Sign up:

The main way is to pay for your spot via paypal to reserve it. It costs $200 a person for the whole weekend, and ALL PROCEEDS go to catching up the farm on its mortgage and preparing for winter: mostly fuel and firewood costs. Your attendance and fee is what literally keeps a roof over my head and my house warm. There are 20 spots and they go FIRST PAID - FIRST SERVED. If they sell out this weekend, then there are no spots left!

EMAIL ME TO SIGN UP! jenna@itsafarwalk.com

I am still offering Season Passes for a sale price of $300 a person. I offered five at this price, so if you wanted to buy one or a pair of the four remaining passes they would INCLUDE ANTLERSTOCK, and you would be welcome at any other workshop for an entire year. This includes Fiddle Camp, Arrows Rising, and anything else that is a big or small event here. Once these four remaining passes are up, season passes will no longer include Antlerstock since I depend on it so much for revenue and can't offer that kind of deal anymore.

Some notes to consider:

Antlerstock is for Adults only. No children, sorry.

No smoking except pipe tobacco (legal in NY kind)

No meals provided, but breaks for lunch in town.

No pets are welcome for animal and human safety.

No camping on site, but plenty of lodging in the area found here.

Want to come for FREE? I am looking for an EMT/Nurse/First Aid Expert to stay on site all weekend, and a yoga instructor for people who want to come at 8AM for a morning workout in the pasture. I can't house you but I will happily offer you a free pass in exchange for your help if needed and 2 hou-long yoga morning classes.

13 Comments:

Blogger Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

I read that as "a WORM concersation by the fireside". My brain is a weird & wonderful place. I suppose it could be a worm conversation if you're talking composting. Well done brain! *winks*

June 19, 2014 at 12:30 PM  
OpenID rawketstarling said...

man this sounds so fantastic. i'd love to come--it's too bad airfare is just too expensive from Austin :/ The herbalism class & the goats are enticing enough

June 19, 2014 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Dunn said...

Hi Jenna...Antlerstock 2014 festivities sound amazing! I teach yoga at Hubbard Hall and would love to be considered for the yoga post...if you are still looking my email is lizmdunn@gmail.com...thank you~ liz

June 19, 2014 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Dunn said...

Hi Jenna...Antlerstock 2014 sounds amazing!...I would love to be considered for the yoga post (I teach yoga at Hubbard Hall)...thank you so much~ Liz Dunn

June 19, 2014 at 3:18 PM  
Blogger Controlled Jibe said...

Jenna -
If your homestead was on this side of the US, we'd be there! Have a great time and I can't imagine that you won't have a full house in no time.
- Katie and Mark

June 19, 2014 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger Carl Gore said...

Hello again Jenna, Would I be able to have a tent to hang over night so I don't have to miss the second day?
This sounds so awesome I don't want to miss any of it.

June 20, 2014 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger Carl Gore said...

Hello again Jenna, Would I be able to have a tent to hang over night so I don't have to miss the second day?
This sounds so awesome I don't want to miss any of it.

June 20, 2014 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Hey Carl!

There are campsites and lodging all over the valley, but no camping on site. I hope you can come!

June 21, 2014 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger Jess Sheppard said...

I teach yoga and am first aid trained for my job!

June 23, 2014 at 9:14 AM  
OpenID thegirlwithahammer said...

Hey Jenna!

I LOVE your blog by the way, I read it all the time I just don't leave many comments. Something of a blog lurker I guess!

Anyhow, I'm a paramedic here in my 'real' life on Colorado and I think I could swing getting to Antlerstock if you are still needing a medical person! Let me know and if you do still need me we can hash out details!

June 25, 2014 at 1:31 AM  
Blogger Adam Lazar said...

Hi Jenna- If one were to fly in for AntlerStock, what's the best airport?

June 26, 2014 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Adam, it would be Albany!

July 8, 2014 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

If you still need someone who knows first-aid let me know. I have my certification plus CPR through Red Cross (I also bring my first-aid kit with me everywhere)

September 21, 2014 at 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home