Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Maude's Daughter & Fixed Fence Day!

I'm not sure how other homesteader's tackle raising a bottle lamb, but around here it's a mix between a third dog and a diapered baby. Brianna is such a normal part of my life now that I don't even notice when she is alseep at my feet in my office or following me around outside while I plant cucumber starts. She is just always there. She is eating grass, hay, and grain and forages for herself between bottles. At night or when I leave the property she comes inside to hang with the dogs. Annie and Gibson largely ignore her. Since my floors are linoleum and she is so small a bit of urine or a few pellets of lamb poo (think pez dispenser not dog dump) are rare and not much of a hassle when they occur. She knows her name, my voice, and runs around the farm following Gibson like a puppy.

My favorite little quirk she has picked up from spending time around dogs is that before she lies down to sleep in front of the wood stove or below the daybed she "paws" at the ground and then circles before curling into a small ball. It's so canine it is comical. Maybe this is something all sheep do but I have never noticed it with such doggy grace on any other sheep.

Happy to share that I have planted cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, and enough greens to start a small lettuce co-op among friends and/or survive one sheep breakout. I'm praying for the former. As for the latter, I am hoping to announce a workday here where folks come with gloves and good attitudes and together we repair and re-wire the sheep fence and re-seed the eroded pasture. It's the first step in healing this place from over grazing and better management. I am thinking sooner is better but not sure when are free, possibly the 25th? It's a Sunday but with five people what would take me a week would take us a morning. I am hoping some of you are game?!

P.S. More on Shearing Day soon!

5 Comments:

Blogger 3 Dogs Barking Farms said...

You sure are brave putting those warm weather vegies out I was thinking about it but if it frosts I am screwed! But I might but a few out and cross my fingers!

May 14, 2014 at 9:04 AM  
Blogger Cat H said...

Hoff's are available!

May 14, 2014 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Heather Knoll said...

If you get your dog sheep on video doing her circle to sleep thing I'd love to see it!

May 14, 2014 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger crazymimi said...

Would really like to know if you kept the cantaloupe & watermelon seed I sent to try, try finding a spot outside of the garden area, because I know how precious that space is, like a small edge of the yard or outside pasture. Try planting some for the animals. The year that it rained so much that my Dad couldn't keep the grass out he had more than he ever had before.

May 14, 2014 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger crazymimi said...

Would really like to know if you kept the cantaloupe & watermelon seed I sent to try, try finding a spot outside of the garden area, because I know how precious that space is, like a small edge of the yard or outside pasture. Try planting some for the animals. The year that it rained so much that my Dad couldn't keep the grass out he had more than he ever had before.

May 14, 2014 at 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home