Thursday, May 15, 2014

Little Haikus

I got to spend a little time in the greenhouse at Common Sense Farm this week, and I can;t tell you how much being around toddlers and green plants makes me smile. My friend's little ones are mostly under six and they are true farm kids. They helped their mom and I collect spinach after sheep shearing and watching a three-year-old carefully cut spinach leaves and place them in a basket was a splendid haiku. Sometimes I think my love of homesteading, of growing food in general, is more about the little moments that happen around the chicken coops and potting sheds than it is about the recipes and peace of mind. The people drawn to this life are solid folk. I'm proud and blessed to have such wonderful neighbors. And I gotta say, the spinach was perfection with some balsamic dressing and a fresh crumble of goat cheese!


OpenID T. Crockett said...

I can just imagine the serious focus that a 3 year old would bring to that job. Thanks for the smile to start the day

May 15, 2014 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger rain said...

I agree about the little moments. It's the small things that are hard to explain to someone who hasn't tried it, that make the homesteading lifestyle so fulfilling. I recently watched my young nieces work up the courage to reach into a box of three week old chicks and catch one. Seeing their grins when they successfully held a chicken was one of those little moments for me. Thanks for sharing your moments.

May 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home