Sunday, May 11, 2014


Veryork has been granted a break from the rain this weekend, and two days of warm weather, flirting thunderstorms, and green buds on the trees have me a little giddy. It was a weekend and I acted like it. I didn't do any of my design sub-contracting or even mop the floors. It was a weekend of needed vegetation, and it included: vegetation. Fancy that?

I planted a raised bed of lettuce, another of spinach, and another of kale. All cold crops but good greens all the same. I have learned to plant pretty much just greens (mostly kale), tomatoes, onions, garlic and potatoes. These are my top-five purchased vegetables and most used in the kitchen. I know garden catalogs have hundreds of cool varieties and I used to plant a lot of them - but these days I need to plant for budget, winter storage, the recipes I know and love, and winter storage. I'll also have some extras like basil and peppers here and there - but honestly, this is all about the kale.

If I can get a hold of a tiller I will put in a proper kailyard. And my kailyard will be just that, a kale yard. It's my favorite veggie and I eat it all the time - from pizza to soups to roasted under chickens. It's a humble goal but an important one. It comes second to reseeding the hill by the house and fixing the sheep fences but a gal can have her kale dreams. Can't she?

I got some quality time in with Merlin, enjoying our mountain trails. We know them so well, so very well now. Yesterday all he wanted to do was run so I let him. He had go in him and I leaned in, dodging branches in my face, my head low against his mane. At one point there were so many things flying at us, branches and dead leaves and flying grouse scared by the sounds of us - that I broke out into laughter. I couldn't help myself. Merlin is 18 now, nearly 19. He is no spring gelding, but he can run like the wind. It inspires me. I ran two miles today and walked the dogs another two. I started an old lifting and cardio video again and I'm proud to say I am sore as hell. It's a great feeling.

I hope all you Mama's out there had a good Mother's Day. I got a call in to my mom from the sheep paddock. I had just gathered the escapees again, and tomorrow is sheep shearing with Jim McRae. the pigs are sleeping in the barn, the 45 chicks are doing well, and the month of May keeps moving on. More updates all this week on the animals, events, mess and merriment of this scrappy place. Stay tuned. I'm counting on you to listen to this crazy story.


Blogger Linda said...

I'm just curious-how do protect your garden from all of your animals? I wouldn't think a fence would keep out a determined chicken or sheep.

May 12, 2014 at 2:11 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

There is a short fence around it to keep out the geese and chickens, but that is all. The chickens are in another part of the farm and rarely walk in, since all the good bugs and plants are down by the creek and not in the hot sun by the house. The horses and sheep dont usually go anywhere near it. There is always some loss, so I plant double what I think I'll eat.

May 12, 2014 at 7:40 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

thanks for the question!, sorry if that was a quick anwser, just in from chores and still not caffeinated...


May 12, 2014 at 7:40 AM  
Blogger 3 Dogs Barking Farms said...

if you don't mind coming to pick it up (tommy rolled the truck on Friday and its destroyed) you are welcome to borrow our bcs its a beast!

May 12, 2014 at 8:59 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

How far are you guys from South G. Falls?


May 12, 2014 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend, Jenna! I was out in my little garden this weekend too. This year my entire garden consists of heirlooms, including a Palm Kale, which supposedly grows up like wee palm trees. I'm kings excited for that one. :)

May 12, 2014 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger 3 Dogs Barking Farms said...

we are just south of south glens falls maybe 8 miles or so?

May 12, 2014 at 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home