Saturday, May 17, 2014

Hey Antlers?

Do any of you out there raising food ever experience concern or doubt (or maybe even disgust?) from friends or family about eating what you produce? For example: people who are scared of raw milk, blue eggs, non-bleached lettuce or backyard pork? Has anyone ever turned down your food because it wasn't store bought? I'm curious if any of you have been balked at when offering homegrown to folks who are used to bar codes on everything they chew on?


Blogger Justine said...

My mom refuses to eat eggs from my chickens because they are kept with roosters and she thinks fertilized eggs taste different (even though she hasnt tried them) and forget blue eggs wont even touch them. If I were to have meat or milk animals she wouldnt touch that either she is happy keeping her eyes shut about what really happens on the factory farms... and when I tell her we buy local raw milk she asks "is it approved from the fda?" She also asks why I want to get fruit trees because "they will just be full of bugs". She just doesnt get it and I have stopped trying to make her. She will however eat produce.

May 17, 2014 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I have had people pass on eggs as well, mostly because they think they are "alive' if on a farm.

May 17, 2014 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Check out the discussion here as well!

May 17, 2014 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Jedediah said...

I made stinging nettle beer last year and people were very wary of it, not because it was made from stinging nettles but because it was homemade.
Their loss, because it is delicious.

May 17, 2014 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Jed, RECIPE!!!

May 17, 2014 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I mean there are so many nettles around here.... I would love the sweet revenge of turning them into booze for all the shards they stuck in me

May 17, 2014 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger Moonwaves said...

I don't raise chickens myself (yet!) but I remember a few years ago having lots of conversations with one of my sisters about organic vs. conventional, local vs. food miles etc. and she started buying more stuff from a farmers' market. The only thing she couldn't/wouldn't buy there was eggs. Her daughter (about 18 at the time) was convinced that if they had organic or free range eggs in the house one day they would find a chick in one of them. And nothing would persuade her otherwise.

May 17, 2014 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

People always ask me how I can possibly raise up beef and get attached to them when I know it will end up in the freezer. Uh..the cows have a purpose and I don't bust ass every day just to have them as pets

May 17, 2014 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Carlos Rodriguez said...

only on meat products..people get scared when they are inconvienced and when the government who makes us sick tells them natural is dangerous lol! how opposite from the truth!

May 17, 2014 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger barbsbirds13 said...

Honor those stinging nettles - very nutritious - in teas, steamed, rinse your hair, feed your chickens. Beer sounds interesting. Keep some plantain growing nearby to quell those stinger attacks. So friends can go ahead and think you're double nuts. Just smile and enjoy your home produced foods.

May 17, 2014 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger eidolons said...

I don't grow a lot of my own stuff. But I DIY a lot with things that other people grow locally. I've stopped trying to gift my extended family (father, step mother, sister, etc) things that are homemade. If it wasn't made in a factory, they aren't interested. Their loss.

I'll admit to being squeamish about eating fertilized eggs (though I've undoubtedly done it). I think too much and it becomes a crazy-in-my-head matter of eating unborn babies (it isn't entirely rational, but neither is my insane fear of bees).

May 17, 2014 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Shadawyn said...

My father lives with my husband and I, and won't touch anything we grow--including the eggs (despite that he grew up on a farm back in the 40s). So our fridge is always half full of home-grown veggies, fruits, and eggs, and then the ones same ones he bought at the grocery store. (He says part of this is because he doesn't want to eat what we worked so hard to grow, but... that's that's the point! Those eggs aren't trophies!) He's easing up a little, though. He even made requests for certain varieties of potatoes and tomatoes this year.

Luckily, our friends have a completely different take. They're all apartment/city-bound locavore/foodies who LOVE what we bring and cook for them from our suburban homestead.

May 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger Ohiofarmgirl said...

many many times. i knew a family who came home from a trip dead broke with a week until payday. they could have stopped by our farm to load up on milk, eggs, bread, meat - everything. but they drove right by because they didnt want our "dirty" food. ok. the best comment, tho, was someone who told me that we were "so poor we had to eat a turkey from the yard." a pasture/naturally raised turkey of that size goes for about $60.. so i guess everyone is different. we stopped giving our food away because we realized some folks were just throwing it away and we work too hard for that.

May 17, 2014 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Robin Follette said...

I have neighbors who won't consume any meat, eggs or milk unless it comes from a store. They "love" animals but are supporters of factory farming. It's bizarre.

May 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Our friends and neighbors will eat anything from our garden, berry bushes, or orchard. Most have have their own gardens. We have green eggs which are great and are easy to peel for dressed eggs. People will take gifts of home preserved pumpkin, relish, ect. No one will eat my sour pickles but me and that is ok. Our garden looks great so far.
I get a kick out of some of the comments. One can tell many are not from the country.
From the Phony Farm in rural TN.

May 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I have a small balcony garden. I haven't had anyone turn down my produce before. This includes lettuce, which is one of my favorite things to grow. If anything, they're mildly impressed.

Being in Southern California, I also think it's more common to eat farm fresh wares.

May 17, 2014 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger holmgrrl said...

Nettle pesto is also delicious! As is soup.

May 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger Anton said...

This happens to me ALL the time. I'd like to say I'm used to it now, but I'm still surprised. Ah well.

May 17, 2014 at 3:37 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

My dad won't eat eggs from our chickens because "they come from a chicken's butt" yet grocery store eggs are just fine.

May 17, 2014 at 3:48 PM  
Blogger kandy Gray said...

a friend freaked out when i pulled a carrot from my garden, rinsed it off in a bucket of water, and handed it to my son to chew on, greens, skin and all. and i mean freaked! also, a friend of mine keeps donkeys, a giant goat, and ducks. i get to have the duck eggs because she thinks it is grose to eat them. that i really don't get...

May 17, 2014 at 5:07 PM  
Blogger Jedediah said...

I got the recipe here
Since it was summer, I used fully-grown nettles and for yeast, I simply put some overripe strawberries in a glass full of water covered with cheesecloth for a week. You mileage may vary, but it worked out well for me.

The beer had a very light taste, it reminded me of Radler. But it had quite a kick to it.

May 17, 2014 at 5:10 PM  
OpenID peihome said...

lol, great comments from everyone! I live in a very rural area, yet the locals (many of whom grew up on farms) refuse to eat our BROWN eggs - even for free! We ended up selling them in the city where my hubs worked - to city folk who want free-range, organic eggs. Oh, the irony. It just kills me that people think brown eggs taste different (ie: worse) than white!

May 17, 2014 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger Helena said...

I am so confused--you mean there are people out there who *turn down* a gift of homegrown produce? Pfft. Their loss. I will say that with raw milk or a meat product I would only purchase or accept it from someone I knew well enough to know they handled it safely, but if it's a friend or family member, presumably you'd know that.

May 17, 2014 at 7:21 PM  
Blogger Jacquie said...

I felt a little odd the first time I started eating out of my own garden. I wasn't sure if I did everything correctly, was the lettuce supposed to be that bitter, when do I harvest the melon, is the cucumber ready, a lot of little things. I also hadn't cooked from scratch in years so all of it was a wonderful education. I also didn't grow up eating american veggies like squash and cauliflower. For me, it's a different way of life and I love it.

May 17, 2014 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger R'Eisen Shine Farm said...

We have experienced this with family, friends and even some customers. ESPECIALLY around poultry processing. I think we have become so horribly disconnected from humans as animals, and at the origins of food we actually fear the process. As if someone else ( in a distant factory)
knows better how to feed us, a primal need that must be met daily.

May 17, 2014 at 8:13 PM  
OpenID celiaeboracum said...

I have never had anyone pass on garden produce or eggs, but many people are appalled that I raise my own meat. I have started answering the question "But you don't EAT them, do you??" with "Well, I'm not a vegetarian!" We are about to graduate from poultry to pork and rabbits, but I'm being very selective about who I tell!

I also get a lot of flak about eating hunted game, especially when it comes to appreciating wildlife for anything other than their food potential. I love watching wild geese with their goslings or hearing them honking as they fly overhead. The fact that I also love to eat them isn't mutually exclusive with enjoying them as my wild neighbors, but not everyone sees it that way.

I am lucky that my close friends are almost universally supportive and enthusiastic about home-raised food. Most of them are eager to try our farm-fresh meat or game, and even those who prefer not to eat certain animals are very polite about it being their preference and not a judgment. I even have a vegetarian friend who thought me raising my own meat was fantastic and supported me for it!

May 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

I tried to woo an unfriendly neighbor with offerings from my garden. I'd leave lettuce, tomatoes, eggs...they always disappeared from her porch (she wouldn't always answer my knock). Then one day, she happened to be out and I went over and handed her a dozen eggs. She snatched them from me, glared and huffed, and then threw them into her garbage can so hard I could hear them crack. She then informed me that she had been throwing away everything I had left her over the past year or so because it was "nasty filth" and I should quit bringing her "trash" to eat. I was more than a little in shock--but managed to tell her that she could have, you know, returned it or left me a note or SAID something (as we lived about 100 yards from each other), rather than throwing out good food that was obviously wasted on her. Needless to say, I stopped trying to woo her.

May 17, 2014 at 8:50 PM  
Blogger Kristin T. said...

I've never had anyone turn down my vegetables, and people have even commented how much better they taste than "store-bought." But my mom can't understand why I make things from scratch when I can Just Add Water with a mix. She has no trouble eating what I make and said my orange marmalade was much better than "store-bought" because it wasn't as sweet.

May 17, 2014 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger KiwiGirl said...

I've got no problems with eggs, home baking, preserves etc. I do have issues with raw milk though, mainly due to the lack of quality control at source. Our national stats here show that last year, there were 55 cases of food poisoning (campylobacter, salmonella) directly attributable to raw milk consumption. So I'll pass on raw milk.

May 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM  
Blogger Vicki Alderman-Watt said...

I've had egg customers return the green ones thinking they are bad. Can't convince them otherwise.

May 17, 2014 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

People will take the veggies I grow but get really weird about the eggs..You don't clean them off right away? you don't put them in the fridge?

On one hand I like to educate people but I am not about pushing my beloved eggs onto anyone else. We love our 5 hens and are grateful for the eggs. It's amazing how some people think sometimes.

May 18, 2014 at 2:30 AM  
Blogger Marlies said...

I have a dear friend that blesses me with fresh eggs. There are times in the past year that I passed a dozen or 2 to my husband's mother-- who then complained that an egg would have a blood spot on it and had to throw it out. Of course, she is not happy with most anything I do. Oh well, her loss!!

May 18, 2014 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Marlies said...

I have a very dear friend that trades her fresh eggs for a pint of lard. Win Win for both of us!! I have given my husband's mother a dozen or 2 and then she complains if there is a blood spot on the egg and throws it out.

May 18, 2014 at 10:30 AM  
Blogger damnyankee said...

Actually it was me. I balked at wild hog. Wasn't sure just what they consumed. Husband reassured me that I would enjoy this smoked shoulder he had prepared. He was right... it was DELICIOUS.

May 18, 2014 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

I'm just completely blown away by some of the comments here and on the FB thread. I'm 45 years old and for my whole life the home grown/made stuff has always been the stuff everyone I've known fought for.

May 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger Deltaville Jamie said...

Oddly, I was the one who balked at eating the eggs my chickens produced, even though that was the whole reason for getting the chickens. I eat them now, of course, but I waited to make sure no one else got sick first. Seems absolutely ridiculous now.

May 19, 2014 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

Yes! We live on a small farm with other farms surrounding. One of our neighbors is petrified to even try one of our eggs. She says it is because they are wondering around the yard, and scratching at the horse manure, etc... Her husband on the other hand will sneak over when she isn't home and ask for a few so he can cook them up while she is away and enjoy. Quite funny to watch actually!

May 19, 2014 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger rain said...

It seems like there's a theme of mother-in-laws who won't eat fresh eggs, and mine is the same even though she lived on a farm. In her defense though, when my father-in-law kept chickens they were quite feral and laid eggs in the hay mangers instead of a nest box. Because they walked through goat, pig, and cow dung on the way to their nests, the eggs always had streaks of green manure on them from dirty chicken feet. Even I had a hard time when I would open a carton of eggs with cow poo on them! My eggs are manure free but she's been permanently scarred and won't eat them. She's been known to ask if a dish has "chicken eggs" or "store bought eggs." I'm afraid to tell her that store bought eggs come from chickens too!

May 19, 2014 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger EricaBee said...

For a long time, we had been gifting our home-raised honey, soap, canned veggies, jams, homemade wines to certain family members and friends, only to find out later they were thrown out or years later, still sits in their cupboards untouched. Still kind of hurts, especially when you go to all the trouble and they just don't appreciate those types of gifts or the thought and work you put into them. I would much rather have a homemade bar of soap sitting on the guest bathroom sink, rather than a fancy bottle of liquid soap from a designer store that was made in a factory, but not everyone feels that way and you have to be okay with it or it will irk you to pieces.

May 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger jules said...

We have a few friends, and one or two family, that won't eat our rabbits. Which I can't understand, because they'll eat store bought chicken. We have a hard time convincing folks that we're not eating Thumper, we're eating premium quality protein. Their loss. We have other friends that beat down our doors to come have supper. Our gain.

May 19, 2014 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger LM Hed said...

One year I offered my sister-in-law and her family some radishes that I had just pulled out of the ground and washed. I got very weird looks and was told by said sister-in-law that she ate enough dirt as a kid that she didn't need anymore.

That was their loss, they were the best radishes I had ever eaten.

May 19, 2014 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger Paula B said...

I had a roommate who is very healthy and who was very excited that I put in a small veg garden. On the day I harvested the red beets, though, she balked.

She just couldn't convince herself they were clean, since she saw them come out of the dirt, all, you know, dirty. What if they were full of (microscopic) bugs? She had just graduated with a Biology degree.

So I chopped up some and pickled them, and made pickled eggs, and shared that with her. She LOVED it, and knew they were the SAME beets, and that she was INSANE. But her parents hadn't had room to garden so she never actually SAW that 'garden to table' loop happen.

It seems so weird to me, but some people, even the really open and accepting ones, need baby steps. Having patience and letting them make their own choices only makes for better dialogue.

May 19, 2014 at 4:18 PM  
Blogger Paula B said...

I had a roommate who is very healthy and who was very excited that I put in a small veg garden. On the day I harvested the red beets, though, she balked.

She just couldn't convince herself they were clean, since she saw them come out of the dirt, all, you know, dirty. What if they were full of (microscopic) bugs? She had just graduated with a Biology degree.

So I chopped up some and pickled them, and made pickled eggs, and shared that with her. She LOVED it, and knew they were the SAME beets, and that she was INSANE. But her parents hadn't had room to garden so she never actually SAW that 'garden to table' loop happen.

It seems so weird to me, but some people, even the really open and accepting ones, need baby steps. Having patience and letting them make their own choices only makes for better dialogue.

May 19, 2014 at 4:18 PM  
Blogger Maggie in Tally said...

Ex co-worker wouldn't touch a brown egg or eat any veggies because I used manure to fertilize my garden. So silly--so sad. He doesn't drink milk anymore because he saw on TV cows given hormones will sometimes have blood in their milk. No longer eats hamburger because of recall...lives on fruit and processed crap. And don't try convincing him that real food is better---his mind is made up!

May 19, 2014 at 8:18 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I bet if you put all the green eggs in one carton, marked it Rare Green Eggs from ______breed of chicken, and priced them for $2 more a dozen, they'd be gone in no time! Hahaha

May 20, 2014 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger Jen B-K said...

Oh in TX we are the odd ones out for sure. We happily consume our chickens, eggs, raw milk, and veggies grow in close proximity to goat poop. I share with other like-minded folks all the time, but when I go to a potluck, I take a dish for me just so I will actually have something to eat. As my mom says, "Those folks don't deserve organic because they don't care anyway."

May 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM  
Blogger rachellake said...

I live in my mother's house and have taken over the entire backyard as my vegetable garden and mini urban homestead. The first two years of growing food, my mom refused to eat half of what I produced because she was nervous about the lack of chemicals.

Thankfully she's since come around, but the rest of my family can still be a bit wary about the bags of worm castings that go into my raised beds every year.

May 22, 2014 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

Yep. I've had someone decline free eggs before because they aren't bleached white. Their loss!

May 22, 2014 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger Denise @ Thistleberry Patch said...

I am so fortunate that my coworkers & family really appreciate everything I raise. A lot of my coworkers are from other countries & I remember when one nurse started crying when she saw my multi-colored eggs. It reminded her of home. I now can't bring in enough goods. One doctor put it "you are blessed with a great opportunity".

May 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home