Friday, May 16, 2014

Bees Coming Tomorrow!

While my hive doesn't look very pretty it is in great shape for Saturday's bees! After a summer without them (well, without them in the hive. The farm has plenty of honeybees living in the rafters of the old barn) I will finally be back in the honey business. To prepare for them the old abandoned hive needed to be cleaned out. I scraped away the mice nests and any signs of other infestation. A simple mix of water and peroxide was sprayed lightly on the interior of the wood and then it sat in the sun a few days for some old fashioned detox. Now the hive is ready for the package of bees my friend Patty is kind enough to pick up for me since I am hosting a chicken 101 workshop that morning. But by sunday on Saturday night there will be a hive at the farm, and the promise of at least a few golden jars by summer's end. I never harvest a lot that first year, but I do harvest a frame or two of the two supers. Hope tastes sweet, what can I say?

Man, what a life. For a woman with a dairy goat offering nearly a gallon a day and honeybees just hours from their welcome party, a gal can't help but feel a little blessed. For thousands of years people have searched for he land of Milk and Honey. Who knew it could be in your own backyard?

1 Comments:

Blogger Peacemom said...

You're making it happen in your own back yard! Can't wait to see the jars of honey...would love a photo essay of the event when you harvest it. And Patty is surely a good friend, it's not everyone that would gladly pick up a box of bees for you! ~Vonnie

May 16, 2014 at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home