Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Morning Haul

Every morning I milk my goat and collect eggs. This simple work of gathering good food is a pleasant exchange. It happens between the chores of feeding the flock, handing out hay to sheep and horses, and hauling water. On an easy day with fair weather chores take less than an hour to complete and I do them while listening to audiobooks. This means the morning is full of stories, food, and somewhere in the back of my mind I know a pot of Yerba Mate is perking on the stove. When I come inside to strain the milk and do the dairy dishes I have the option of the freshest eggs for breakfast with hot tea spiked with fruit juice.

It is fortification of the happiest sort.


Blogger Controlled Jibe said...

That sounds about as perfect as a morning can be! :)

April 17, 2014 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger jules said...

Tell us more about your Yerba Mate, please?

April 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I love walking out in the early morning to feed the girls..sometimes they leave me an egg but usually they won't start laying until around 8-9 am. I love walking in there and collecting the beautiful brown eggs..makes me day :)

April 20, 2014 at 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home