Sunday, April 27, 2014

Solid Ground

Today I joined the small crew at my friends Tara and Tyler's land to help raise the frame of their home. It was wonderful. I'll write much more about it in the morning when I am less tired and sore, but tonight I will share pictures. We didn't finish the entire job, but with just half a dozen folks, some ladders, and some primitive tools hand-hewn from tree stumps we put together a gorgeous timber framed home Tara and Tyler started over two years ago in Minnesota at a workshop. Today we erected the six posts and beams, joining bits, and braces that created a beautiful skeleton. I'm so grateful to have been a part of this, and to have them in my lives. They are as solid as the house we are building.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jess Sheppard said...

Amazing! Blueprints? ;) lol

April 27, 2014 at 10:21 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

That looks like incredible workmanship. Our old barn was put together without a single nail. 150 years later, a strong man with a sledgehammer couldn't break apart a joint. This home should last many lifetimes.

April 28, 2014 at 2:27 PM  
OpenID T. Crockett said...

"tools hand hewn from tree stumps" I'm all kinds of curious now

April 28, 2014 at 10:44 PM  
Blogger Coco said...

Wow, that´s impressive!

April 29, 2014 at 3:39 AM  
Blogger Jimmie said...

Hi Jenna,

Glad you got to help out. My husband and I spent a week in the mountains of NC building a three-bent timber framed barn, using all hand tools. The class was taught by a 75 year old man who worked circles around the rest of us. It was all a life changing experience and helped to prepare us for building our own log house.

Good luck to your friends as they continue on with their house.

Diane in North Carolina

April 29, 2014 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

What beautiful bones. :)

April 30, 2014 at 11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home