Monday, May 18, 2015

Arrows Rising 2015: 2 Spots LEFT!

This June 20th & 21st! There are many spots open for this Summer's Arrow's Rising! For those of you on the fence about taking up traditional archery, I hope you consider this weekend-long event held here at Cold Antler Farm in beautiful June. It's two days of everything traditional, and comes with a longbow (25lb draw) hand crafted in the US by a Veteran. You're not only supporting this business, but his, and taking up a sport people of any age, gender, or size can learn to be fantastic at with practice.

Arrows Rising is the name of the entire weekend, but that Saturday morning will start with a story. I will share my own reasons for taking up archery and it has nothing to do with Katniss, Brave, or the Avengers. I read a book one of you fine Antlers suggested to me several years ago and the the culture of archery and bow making was so rich and storied the bow went from being a weapon to a legend. It didn't take long after reading the first three books in the series that I had looked up some online bowyers and archery supply shops and sent from emails to my local chapter of the Society for Creative Anachronism.

The rest, as they say, is history. A self-made history at that. I've shot on the same traditional team for three years now. I've gone from a girl very low the East Kingdom's rankings with a cheap bow to a Marshal in the Shire of Glenn Linn, and MUCH higher on the rankings list. My love for the sport echoed into a part time job last summer at the British School of Falconry in Manchester, Vermont. There I taught archery professionally, showing folks who never held a bow before the ways of instinctive shooting, safety, and basic practice field commands.

Very much of those lessons will be repeated for these beginners coming to Arrow's Rising. There will be an in-depth talk about equipment, bows and bow types, strings, bow stringing and measuring your bow for your body. We'll talk arrows as well, and how to outfit yourself once you get home. Basic safety equipment will also be covered, and while I will have spare gear to lend I strongly suggest that people attending Arrow's Rising invest in their own hand and arm protection. A simple armguard costs very little as does a finger tab. But really all you need is a sturdy pair of deerskin work gloves, and a long sleeved shirt. These will protect your hands and be very appreciated by Saturday afternoon!

Saturday after equipment is covered we will head outside for safety demonstrations and field rules. Since Cold Antler is built into a mountain and goes through forest and stream side we will have several areas with targets set up. You'll shoot stationary at close range to start, gaining distance and confidence. The first day will end with us sitting under the king Maple out front and reviewing the history and tradition of archery, share our stories of why we came, and relax and rest our arms! A tour of the farm and animals will then happen for all who wish to meet the crew and a campfire will be held that night for folks who want to return for music and more stories. Bring a folding chair and an instrument!

Sunday will begin with a quick review and some more practice. Afterwards we'll try a trekking shoot, where we walk over forest and along the stream hitting smaller targets. You'll learn to shoot through cover, down a ravine, and kneeling as well as the traditional archer's T. There may very well be a demonstration of mounted archery with Merlin!

So that is the plan, the entire weekend come a few weekends from now and again in the fall. I hope to fill up all the spots soon and encourage women, men, teenagers and best friends to sign up together if they want! It's a great bonding experience and a sport many of us can take up at any age. Basketball courts and swimming pools don't really change but the archery field and equipment is made to fit YOU. So do not feel you aren't athletic enough to try. Folks of any size are welcome, I just ask you bring plenty of water, a chair to sit in, and understand we are shooting come rain or shine!

This June 20th & 21st! 
10AM-4PM
Campfire Sat
No camping on farm
The full price is $350. 
This includes both days and longbow.

Let the grey geese fly!

Email me: Jenna@itsafarwalk.com to sign up!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

This sounds amazing...I just recently got a compound bow for my college graduation present and I'm enjoying it immensely.

April 16, 2014 at 6:39 PM  
Blogger Sara Law said...

I can't express enough how excited I am for the October Arrows Rising. I'll be coming in from Toronto, ON. I can't think of a better way to celebrate my Thanksgiving weekend (well, other than eating turkey, that is) :D

Can't wait to meet everyone!

April 24, 2014 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Dana "Aurora" Johnson said...

I so wish I could go! Sounds like an amazing time!

March 26, 2015 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger Geeka said...

Not sure if it's you, but it takes me 6 tries to get to the blog now... I keep getting redirected to myspace and then to some of those 'get a flatter belly' ads.

May 19, 2015 at 6:12 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Anyone who is on the fence about attending Arrow's Rising - you should totally go! I was lucky enough to attend on a beautiful weekend with a small group, and I learned so much from Jenna. Even if you have done or taken archery lessons in the past, you won't get many opportunities where you will be asked to shoot through a timed course in the woods, with targets at varying heights. She's a great teacher and very patient, and I highly recommend taking her class.

June 5, 2015 at 1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home