Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Waiting Games & Clean Sheets

I am still waiting for Bonita and one more ewe to go into labor. I've passed the days eager excitement and they are replaced with a steady anticipation. For a while I expected to find a slick doeling waiting for me in the barn every morning, or a pair of new twins following the flock down for morning hay. But so far the only new life is the little ram lamb. That little guy was sold yesterday to a small farm not too far away starting their own flock. They said they wanted to name him Wallace and I was partial to Momma Storer's pick for Will, and so together they make one great name: William Wallace. (Momma Storer, please email me so I can mail you your prize!).

I'm mighty sore this morning. I'm sleeping erratically some nights to check for lambs, other nights (if I fall asleep late enough) I manage five or six hours. Between that and jogging again I am a little sore and airier than usual. It's not a bad feeling, actually. I'm aware of every muscle that is a little tight but in this ethereal waking state of calm. It's a sublime way to feel on a farm. I'm just going with it.

Today is an inside day. A trip to the laundromat after a morning finishing up a magazine article. I'm hoping to get in another light jog and possibly even brush out and ride the pile of black shedding mayhem known as Merlin every other time of the year but spring. I know horses shed like nuts in the spring, but Merlin grows a coat around 3 inches long and one good shake blows out enough to make it look as if he can create smoke from friction. He is magical, so maybe he can?!

I hope to update soon with photos of kids in the living room, new lambs, and clean sheets but I may have to settle for the sheets. A girl can only ask so much from a Wednesday morning after all. And now I am off to write and play check up nurse with some ovine and caprine patients. Wish us luck!

4 Comments:

Blogger Carlos Rodriguez said...

maybe you could spin merlins hair into yarn just for giggles..

March 19, 2014 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger Cat H said...

Luck, my dear!!

March 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger Povertyflats said...

Poverty Flats Dairy Farm says "a watched pot never boils". I think it's a proven fact that the minute you drive out the driveway of a farm cows, pigs, goats, horse and sheep use that as a sign to go into labor.

March 19, 2014 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger Povertyflats said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 19, 2014 at 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home