Sunday, March 2, 2014

Under the Surface

I have seeds in small planters, bees pre-ordered from Betterbee, chicken breeds picked out and a call going to the hatchery on Monday morning. I have been stalking piglets on Craigslist and placed a call with a local meat rabbit breeder for new breeding stock. I have planned out the early garden, have those colder-weather spring greens lined up in packets, and even dusted off my banjo. I don't know what it is about banjos and pea sprouts but they go hand in hand. My trailing is a little rusty but I have the best mountain music materials all around me to re-learn a half dozen songs in an hour or so. Just hearing that happy twang in the farmhouse is a force of change as any chick or sprout. Spring is on her way. We are but weeks from Ostara and the sunlight sticks around past 6pm. Glory be!

it is going to drop below zero tonight and tomorrow but no sense thinking about it. Long as there is wood by the stove and a house full of friends on the way. I stuck a pork shoulder in the crock pot at 6AM and am getting ready to take Italics out rabbit hunting. It's my good friend Patty's birthday, of which I am so grateful to have in my life (the woman who taught me how to drive horses and be the horsewoman I am now). It's a day of happy celebration, hunting, and the knowledge that even if it is cold and frozen out there - that spring is just under the surface. It's a beautiful Saturday and I hope yours is, too. I hope to have photos to post from the the hunting!

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

It's finally starting to warmup here in central Wisconsin. And by warm up I mean be above zero for most of the day.

I just moved here and have been getting along in the cold just fine, any day with sunshine beats living in the dark and the damp of Western Washington. But, I'm still heartened by the fact that even the diehard winter fans here are ready for this extra long, extra cold winter to be over.

I'll be living the farm and garden life vicariously though this and a few other blogs this year as I traded a house and yard for a small apartment. It's funny, I was so done with that house. So ready not to have a yard or garden to take care of. But, when I wander around town I'm always on the lookout for a nice little bungalow with a big garden plot out back and for sale sign out front.

I guess if that's what's in your blood and bones there's no getting away from it.

March 2, 2014 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Hi Jenna, It is so good to see your photo with Italics. Having a good time to boot, I hope that it is a fun activity. It seems that where-ever a person lives in the USA this has been a hard winter. Here on the west coast a very wet week is in store once again.

March 2, 2014 at 11:46 PM  
Blogger Maggie in Tally said...

I live in FL (this year) and for FL, it's been a rather chilly winter. We had a bunch of 20-something nights and a coupla teen nights and we're all ready for Spring. The azaleas are starting to bloom though the next 10 days are supposed to be lows in 40s, highs in 60s. Beats July and August--that I can promise.

March 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home