Monday, March 24, 2014

Lambs, Kids, & Monday Mornings

It was a little before 8AM and I had forgotten how long (and how wonderful) mornings are with goats in the house. Usually by this time I am well on my way to writing projects and office work. The farm chores far behind me and at least a pint of warm tea or coffee is in me, fueling me for a few hours of writing. But this morning was quite different than all the winter mornings so far. There is a beautiful new ewe lamb outside and two gorgeous Alpine does in the house! Yesterday Bonita gave birth to twin girls soon after the lamb was born!

Here is how this morning went: I woke up in the blue light, the before light, to the sound of nickering kids in the dogcrate at the foot of the daybed. That brings a smile but also a reminder of urgent work. No more lazy starts for me with just fires to start, morning prayers, and candlelight. Because now I had hungry babes to feed and a mama with a full udder needing to be milked. So by the time the fire was lit, the dogs relieved, the cats fed, and the coffee was perking I still had so much to do! I realized then that mornings would have to start an hour earlier if I wanted to keep on the milking schedule of 6AM and 6PM. I made a mental note and set to the work of getting the farm started.

It was 9 degrees outside and nearly April. That let out a heavy sigh from me, but that bit of melancholy was replaced quicly with happy work. I let the two twins out of their crate and they came bounding! The dogs chased and played with them as I went about cleaning up their crate (I use adult-diaper-like bed liner pads) and (of course) while I am cleaning the crate and replacing it with a fresh pad they are peeing and pooing all over the floor and crying for the milk. This also brought a warm smile because when I bought this place the realtor seem nearly apologetic at the faux-hardwood floors. They were linoleum. As someone who needed a place that could take endless mopping and cleaning, animal tracks, muddy paws, and goat urine I was thrilled for the fake wood. The goats ran around the house. Lucas the turkey walked up to the French doors. Gibson went to the bench by the doors to watch. Annie howled for morning scratches behind her ears. the kids nickered. The cats ran through the house to wrestle and hiss. It was bedlam.

But it sure beats my old Monday Mornings.

Bottles of colostrum needed to be warmed up in a saucepan of slowly-heating water on the stovetop. The little doelings (who had slept all night, bless them) were hungry and let everyone in the house know it. I have them a few ounces of the warm colustrum and then let them run around while I let myself heat up a chunk of bread I baked the day before in the oven. I poured some coffee and had a few short minutes to enjoy the scene around me. Homemade bread and coffee with raw milk in it. The kids playing and running around the house. Annie came to my side and I scratched her lioness head. Gibson watched the farm from his perch, and stared daggers at Lucas for his sexual display around minors. I laughed and sipped my warm drink.

So the doelings are already up on Craigslist and I have sold the ram lamb. The ewe lamb stays. The kitchen has a full milk pail, bottles, and milk strainer back in usuage again. The chickens are laying eggs, the milk is flowing, chicks and bees are on the way and my snap peas are reaching for sunlight. I gotta say, even on my worse days here things are pretty grand in spirit. And on that note I need to head downstairs for more coffee, and get ready for a morning of writing and kid cuddling before they are sold and in the hearts of another homesteader.

You got to savor all this while you can. Always, savor.

photo of me and kid by Miriam Romais

5 Comments:

OpenID rawketstarling said...

oh I love that picture! Over the weekend, as I got the garden planted and contemplated where to put the new duck and thought about how i needed to mow the lawn....a thought crept into my mind--why should I mow if there is something that would love to eat this grass?? So now I'm contemplating a goat...and all these blogs with all their new babies...well, it's got me wishing and a-wanting.

March 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

haha! yes but get a sheep and not a goat if you want the grass mowed. Goats eat UP! so say goodbye to bushes, trees, bark, and vegetables long before they start eating grass!

March 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

Great picture. I love baby goats, they are so cute and fun. I don't have any though and don't plan on getting any so I'll enjoy yours from afar.

March 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Cat H said...

Excellent way to start the day, especially a Monday.

March 24, 2014 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger Lone Pine Farm said...

Your bedlam sounds like pure bliss :)

March 25, 2014 at 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home