Thursday, March 6, 2014

Goose Eggs

This is the time of year my goose, Saro, starts laying. I got a wonderful offer from Common Sense Farm to use some of the space in their amazing steampunk incubator (yes, I'll get pictures next time I am there!). While I do have visual evidence that the eggs are being fertilized Saro isn;t the best mother when it comes to setting. She sticks with it for a while and after a few days gets bored and takes off for the stream and forest with Cyrus and Ryan. This leaves the eggs cold or hen pecked after a while of neglect. Last time she sat one gosling made it from fifteen eggs. This year I am hoping to incubate a clutch with better success. that or I will be eating very large, gelatinous, omelets into April.

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather Knoll said...

mmm, goose eggs are sooo good! The best French toast ever

March 6, 2014 at 1:05 PM  
Blogger Anton said...

My goslings started hatching in my incubator yesterday!

March 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger Steven Kellogg said...

You could look into building a Broody House. It is a nesting box you can close the hen in, and can have a small run attached to let the hen get air and food but doesn't let her wander off. One broody hen can hatch all the fertile eggs on the farm.

March 7, 2014 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger Justine said...

Have you ever tried to sneak them under a hen I know the timing has to be perfect but eh you never know!

March 8, 2014 at 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home