Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Dreaming of June

That photo was taken last spring and it has me salivating and awestruck. That is my house, my yard, my shepherd. Those are my apple trees in blossom and flowers at my dog's paws. It's the same place I was just a few hours ago during morning chores—near the well—but this morning I needed to break ice in heavy boots to make room for the five gallon bucket. I slipped and fell on the ice (twice: let's hear it for me) and everything is grey. I look outside the office window and I can see the sheep walking down their well-worn muddy path to their hay. The only green in my life right now is a few pea shoots in the living room and the second cut hay I lug from the back of the truck into the animal's paddocks. Both the photo and the hay are proof that June exists, but I remain doubtful. It's been cold here for a very long time.

Here is the view from the office window:

Amazing that this is the same place, and those are the same trees! But it is March, in like a lion and all that. And it very well might end with literal lambs. Two of my blackface ewes are clearly pregnant and I am praying for ewe lambs. My flock has grown old from years of bartering young animals instead of raising them. So right now my youngest breeding ewe is 5 or 6. Not a good thing. Fingers crossed for twin lambs! Same goes for Bonita. Regardless of what pops out of her it will be sold, as I do not need more than a pair of does. But if it is a purebred doeling I can sell it for double what a wether would go for, and money is important and rare these days. This post is starting to sound not only wistful, but sexist. What can I say? When it comes to livestock that offers milk and lamb chops - women rule.

In other spring news I ordered 45 laying hen pullet chicks yesterday! Quite the sign of hope. I offically have birds and bees on their way to me come spring, along with the expected lambs, kids, and rabbit kits this place is going to explode with new life and intentions come snowmelt. I have repair and home-improvement plans down on paper as well as pasture re-seeding and stock selling. All of it will happen because it simply has to. A farm like this only continues the story if you start telling the beginning before you know how it all ends. Not the best way to write a novel, but the only way I know how to live my life.

So right now I have a to-do list to get back to with my morning all planned out. I updated this blog a bit and Clan Cold Antler as well. I got some errands in town, stories to continue, a pair of dogs to walk down the road, and violins to order. With a camp on the way come month's end I need to get everything in order in more ways than just lambing and lists. But I am happy to report that things are slowly happening- at least on paper and in the form of receipts—and for now those checked-off tasks and future critters are the Gospel of Spring. Proof in faith that even if I can't quite realize June is real, I can still believe in it. And belief is a lot more powerful than grey light.


Blogger WoodsForestHome said...

Around here we are saying March is coming in like a Yetti this time around! Take heart...June will be here before we know it and will be even more exciting this time around after this hard core winter. I can't wait to pick as many lilacs as I can and put them in every room of the house.

March 5, 2014 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger aart said...

As horrible and stressful as the winter has been, it really underlines the cycle of life....I don't think that I would want to live anywhere the didn't have a radical winter.

March 6, 2014 at 7:31 AM  
Blogger Becky H said...

I'm so ready for June, too! I've got some stuff to start seeds and I'm willing the snow to melt already so I can clean up the garden.

I just finished Barnheart (the first of your books I happened upon) this week. I really enjoyed it and its easy to follow writing style, and I admire your ambition in going after the things you want in life! It's also great that you're managing to sell books about it. I've a number of friends who have similar aspirations but aren't successful yet. My frugal heart didn't always agree with some of your decisions in Barnheart but I think it's wonderful how you've made things work out to live as a farmer.

While I wait for more of your books from the library I decided I should check out your blog. I'm slowly going to try to make my way through your years of posts. It's fun to see things we have in common like watching the same YouTube videos or reading the same books. :)

March 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

That's the best photo I've seen on this blog so far, Jenna!

March 6, 2014 at 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home