Friday, February 7, 2014

Storms & Stories

A fair-sized storm hit Veryork on Wednesday. Now that the farm is covered in nearly a foot of powder and the sun has returned the morning chores were slow and magical. I know winter is a dark and cold time of year but I know of nothing brighter than snow sparkling in sunlight. It was a little bitter out this morning but that just makes the coffee taste better when you get inside by the fire.

I didn't update from the storm because I was working on Birchthorn, trying to figure out fiction. It's a lot harder than I ever imagined and right now the 11,000 words or so written only make up a few chapters and have need of all sorts of planning and repairs. It really is a living draft here on the blog and while I work on new stuff and go back and change older chapters based on things you and I both notice—it will continue to evolve and change on that blog. I have no idea how long it will be, how long it will take to finish, or if it's even going to be worth the effort but I find myself more excited about telling a story correctly in an engaging way then any sort of literary appeal. I'm not Steinbeck, I'm telling a monster story. Which is comforting then sitting around a pile of outlines and going back to the first or second chapter to change sentences or character descriptions.

So I spend the storm with the storm of Birchthorn in my head. At least the bulk of the day, anyway. I did the usual morning chores (and the extra snow chores that come with it - like raking roofs clear of the snow and defrosting water) and then spent the rest of the day cleaning house. When some friends stopped by yesterday to visit for tea they looked around in mild shock and later that night my friend Joanna came over for our new tradition of decompressing, drinking, and a chick flick - she asked if I redecorated. I guess it was overdue! But a clean house always cheers me up and tricks me into thinking I have my shit together. Fake it till you make it, I say.

Hope you guys are staying warm. Did anyone else get nailed with snow?

13 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

We got nearly a foot of snow here in the hills of Saugus, Ma ... April can't get here soon enough for me !

February 7, 2014 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger a.rogue (Alice) said...

Happy to hear the cheerful note back in your voice!
We didn't get that much snow - maybe 6 inches or so - enough to wreck havoc in the city! I love the city in the snow though, it covers up all the dirt and grime, and garbage :)

February 7, 2014 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

We got about seven inches of Monday and then seven more inches of snow on Wednesday here in southern CT.

I also Fake it til I make it with my housecleaning! You can't do everything and something has to give......

February 7, 2014 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I am feeling for more cheerful! Feel like I'm coming out of a darker place. It's good all over.

February 7, 2014 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I would say things like dusting give... it adds up quick though. So far the place is coming a long a bit better. Feels good!

that is a lot of snow CT!

February 7, 2014 at 10:56 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Got 6 inches of snow and a half inch of ice. Still trying to cut a path down the driveway through all the leaning tree limbs. Tough work when you're 75!
Mary in Indiana

February 7, 2014 at 11:31 AM  
OpenID rawketstarling said...

That's funny you say that about a clean house--this has not been a very good week for me, so Wednesday I made a list of all the things in my life that are frustrating me or disappointing me, and looked to see which i could change. So I went home and cleaned my house from top-to-bottom: rearranged my rooms, deep-cleaned the carpets, did ALL the laundry. My house hasn't looked or smelled this clean in a VERY LONG TIME. And it worked like a charm--my home is now the sanctuary I needed it to be, instead of another item on my list. Isn't it amazing how that can completely change your mindset!

February 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Elle Cashen said...

We got snow here in North Texas. Just enough to be pretty. We have been quite a bit colder than normal and had lots of wind. Just enjoying the fire and drinking herb tea. I have been enjoying Birchthorn. I can't wait to read your new book. Your very first book was an inspiration to me and I have read them all.
My big news is that at the end of the month I am moving to a small but rapidly growing town east of Dallas and I can finally have chickens!!! I have been dreaming of this for years! Just a small dream but very exciting!!
Keep up the good work Jenna. You are an inspiration!
Elle

February 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

We got about 13 inches here in northern MA! Enough is enough! I'm in the midst of decluttering. No more stuff! We have decided to live simply..only buying want we need! Yes, another Cold Antler Farm book is a need! Keep warm

February 7, 2014 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

We got about 13 inches here in northern MA! Enough is enough! I'm in the midst of decluttering. No more stuff! We have decided to live simply..only buying want we need! Yes, another Cold Antler Farm book is a need! Keep warm

February 7, 2014 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger Barb V. said...

22 inches in 24 hours in Watertown, NY. This on top of the four feet (in a three day period) about a month ago. The Lake Effect never quits!! Snow clean up is a full-time job for this retired chick and her hubby.

February 7, 2014 at 9:33 PM  
Blogger aart said...

We are buried here in SW Michigan!! Have been for a several weeks now, we've gotten 125" this season. It hasn't been above freezing for 3 weeks.

Fence lines show about 28" of settled snow and the piles at the top of the driveway are 5 feet....too high for my thrower to clear the plow wash from a busy two laner. I had to clear a spot to 'store' the snow that I had pay a plow guy to move the wash so I could drive out after the last 8-12" a week ago.

Yesterday I carved a spot out of the pile with the thrower then shoveled the wash from the last 3-4" to that spot so it could be thrown onto the yard.

Keeping the path to the chicken coop clear, I have mobility issues, multiple times a day has been the center of my world.

My idea of housecleaning is to sweep the room with a glance!

February 8, 2014 at 6:02 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Jones said...

About 12" here at Windwomen Farm...the broody chicken in the bathroom is now healed up and we returned her to the flock early this morning...the house will definitely smell better now...chickens poop faster than you can clean it up!
The sun is coming up on a beautiful day...YAHOO!

February 8, 2014 at 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home