Friday, January 24, 2014

Writing With You!

I can not tell you how cool it is to write a story on this blog. That last chapter of Birchthorn got such great feedback. One person with a history of riding Morgan horses corrected the size and color of Pit, the stallion for that time period. Another caught that I had the three women driving to town in a wagon that was just destroyed by the chase. It shows me where I can make things more authentic, more correct, add and change things. The way writing this novella works is like this: I post a draft piece and you guys either read it, skip it, edit it, ignore it, add to it, or whatever you choose. But those of you who help by writing encouragement, excitement, corrections, and questions are really making this happen. To see that a random person in Australia started looking into the Spanish Flu in New York in 1918 and another person from England thinks Birchthorn is Bigfoot. That is great! I love it.

And here is the cool part. I don't know what Birchthorn is either. Not really. But I do know that I hated it when I watched monster movies or specials on TV and it ended with a scientific explanation or bunked hoax. While I don't know if Birchthorn is a demon, an angry earth spirit, a ghost, or a monster of the flesh - he isn't a bear or a case of mass hysteria. He's a pig eating, bone-blackening, fast moving, big clawed creature. And I'm just as excited to learn more about him, Anna, Lara, Meredith, and the rest of the people in Cambridge are.


Blogger Northwest Girl said...

Hi! I'd make sure Birchthorn is complicated. All creatures are multifaceted - a mixture of fierce and tender makes the story more interesting and realistic. Enjoying the unfolding!

January 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger aart said...

Birchthorn is what we fear....we each will imagine it in a slightly different way.

January 24, 2014 at 5:15 PM  
Blogger Red Beard said...

Well, I apologize for nit picking, but if this story takes place in the early 1900's, my impression is that the woman and husband would not have been viewed as upstanding citizens if they were living together before marriage. While it is certainly common now, the early 1900's were still heavily influenced by Victorian morals. Also, because they were merely engaged, I doubt she would have even inherited the property, particularly if his family was still around. If they were married she probably would have had property rights. It doesn't really change the story, but having a husband die would make a stronger statement about her independence than a fiancé dying. It can also make her seem less upstanding as you describe her, because I would expect that back then she would have been expected to remarry. Just some thoughts.

January 24, 2014 at 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home