Monday, April 28, 2014

Workshops for New ChickenFolk!

Well, it's that time of year again! I am announcing the spring chicken and backyard livestock workshops. I hope to see some new faces at these! I will be hosting two different workshops about chickens. One is all about raising laying hens for those curious about what it all entails. The other is about raising meat birds and includes a demonstration of home slaughter and butchering. A general backyard livestock workshop for folks considering the homesteading lifestyle and want to have a primer with a non-stop Q&A session all day will follow. Below are the names and dates of all the events!

Breakfast in the Backyard
May 17th 2014

This is an introduction to keeping laying hens! There will be chicks present, human and fowl kind alike. It's a full day from 10AM till 4PM at the farm, enjoying cuddly little ones (the fowl kind) and learning everything you need to know to get started with this gateway drug livestock. This is crash course in how to raise backyard chickens for beginners, answering questions and sharing experiences. This is a great opportunity for people who just need that friendly push to take the plunge into the poultry world. No experience with chickens needed to attend, and I am confident anyone leaving CAF that day will go home with confidence that they can raise their peeps to laying hens come fall.

The workshop will start at 10AM and start with group intros and talk on how I came into birds and how they changed me into the homesteader I am today There will be a tour of the coop and farm and more discussions on housing, healthcare, and a Q&A period as well. I would also like to host a group discussion about the importance of self-reliance and the first steps of adding animal husbandry to our modern backyards: both for food security and local production. It will be a day of like minds, baby chickens, farm animals, and probably a fiddle tune or two.

BBQ in the Backyard
May 18th 2014

I will also do a workshop on small-scale meat bird production. This all day events (also 10-4) will include a talk and instruction in home processing of poultry for the larger with a live demonstration. You’ll go home knowing exactly which boning knife to buy at the kitchen store and my secret leg loop trick for hanging fowl by their feet without a fuss. All the basics of raising backyard meat will be covered, but the bulk of the day will be on how to safely and humanely turn animals into food. (Trust me, I am an expert on the SAFE part after a mistake with a gall bladder and food poisoning). This will take place on the farm, too.

All workshops are limited to ten people, and slots are filled when the workshop is paid for to secure your space. If you want to come to both workshops, that is fine too. There is a discount for couples who attend both and singles who attend both - with added discounts if you are already a Clan Cold Antler member. For details on such savings email me at


Blogger Francesca said...

I posted CAF on my blog,
I don't know if blogs count, but I'm hoping.

February 28, 2014 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

Whoops, meant to post that on the pea giveaway!

March 3, 2014 at 10:34 PM  
Blogger Amber Coco said...

I'm in Australia, wish I was closer! We have just hatched out our first 8 baby Australorp chicks in Autumn with a very proud mumma hen ruling the roost ;). Love, love, LOVE your work Jenna and enjoy reading your book and blogs.
Amber from Aus

April 29, 2014 at 7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home