Thursday, January 9, 2014


My time with the four pigs I've been raising since late summer is coming to a close soon, and I am looking for 2 or 3 piglets if anyone local has any to sell or barter. I'm not picky on breeds but all things being equal - I love those Old Spots and Old Spot crosses! They are great baconers!


Blogger Louis said...

I would recommend Adirondack Heritage Hogs, especially if they will be on pasture. A little pricier than average, but I believe they are worth it because Steve has such a great reputation. Not too far from you, maybe Brett could deliver them?

January 9, 2014 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

They are exuding major cuteness:)

January 9, 2014 at 5:42 PM  
Blogger Dan Moore said...

Wish I was closer. I'd bring you some Ossabaw piggies.

January 10, 2014 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Fisher said...

We also get our pigs from Adirondack Heritage Hogs, and have been very happy with them. Only thing to watch out for are those pesky tamworth crosses...wild little things.

January 12, 2014 at 12:03 PM  
Blogger Momma/Deb said...

Is that a photo of your own pigs? I'd love to see how large yours have grown!

January 12, 2014 at 1:09 PM  
Blogger Red Beard said...

Mama/Deb only wants to know so she and her DD can ridicule you on the other website. Really, Momma, just stay over there with your own kind and keep yourselves warm at night with your hate. Just a brief visit to the other website has shown me what cyber bullying truly is. It is ironic, that as parents and as a society, we are spending time and money teaching our children about the harm bullying and cyber bullying causes, but then people (and parents) of your ilk turn right around and spend hours castigating every sentence and thought Jenna expresses. Can't you guys even give her an amnesty and stop hating on things from years ago? I have never seen so much written based on speculation, hearsay, gossip, false assumptions, and hopeful thoughts of Jenna's failure. That site is so filled with phony know-it-alls and anonymous posters it would be a laugh, if its intent weren't so hateful. I know you people are capable of caring, because you were all so kind when M. had a CFS flare up, you were all so supportive. But, god forbid, Jenna shows up wearing a new hat and you tear her a part. An occasional criticism is to be expected when some one runs a public blog, but I think you and your friends consistently go too far and cause true harm. I bet some of your kin even call themselves Christians, yet look what you do.

And yes, just so you know, I am aware Jenna isn't perfect and know things don't always go the way they should. The thing is, the perfection your tag team of haters want of her is an illusion. No one is capable of perfection. Not you, not me, or any of your cruel counterparts. Thanks for pretending to care about her pigs.

January 12, 2014 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger katiegirl said...

Wow, Red Beard. That's so very nice of you. Maybe you should take some of your own advice.

January 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger Momma/Deb said...

Oh my...struck a nerve? Sorry about that... What were you saying about hate and venom? Have a nice and peaceful day.

January 13, 2014 at 2:33 PM  
Blogger Charity Weeks said...

I love my pigs. I never knew how awesome life could be with my little ladies (and one gent) could be. Slaughter time will be painful, glad we are keeping 2 for breeding. :) I do most of the work myself on my farm as well, but my husband works hard a few states away and provides the finances to keep me going. I truly admire you Jenna!

January 13, 2014 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger Charity Weeks said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 13, 2014 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Please keep blog comments civil, even those in my defense.

What is CFS?

January 13, 2014 at 3:43 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I just looked it up. I hope she feels better and overcomes her pain. No one should have to live with a feeling like that. I'll say a prayer for her.

January 13, 2014 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger Red Beard said...

Momma, you did not strike a nerve, rather a gag reflex. While I respect that you are one of the few who post on the other site with a name, you are also one who says some of the meanest things. The fact that a major thread on the other site was speculation on the condition of Jenna's pigs, your seemingly innocent question was actually a fishing expedition to see what you could find out. All you guys wanted over there was some kind of evidence that Jenna was being cruel to her animals and you were secretly hoping for a mass die off so that Jenna's dream would fail and you all would be vindicated. To those critical of my comments, they are not mean spirited. They are factual observations about the responses I read to a handful of postings. But, then again, it is hard to tell what is factual, since almost everyone posts anonymously.

Katiegirl, thanks for the advice, but since mine was merely for Momma to go back to her kind, it wouldn't make sense for me to take the advice I offered Momma, because I don't want to read more of that blog. As you are aware, anyone showing the slightest support or defense of Jenna on that site is attacked by a hoard of anonymous hooligans. Read my comment again. I identified Momma as a Jenna hater, then proceeded to summarize the mindset at the other site. I even noted their ability to be kind. For the record, Jenna has said nothing on her clan site, or anywhere else about the other blog.

Live free and be happy, I am done with this.

January 13, 2014 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I would never write about another blogger or farmer with intent to harm or slander them, ever.

January 14, 2014 at 7:24 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Every day we make the choice of what we are going to do with our energy. You can use it to make this world better or worse, heal or harm, focus on good or bad. That website has certainly decided I am a bad person and they put their energy into reading blog posts line by line, scanning pictures, and making accusations from assumptions. It is a lot of energy to put into a stranger and it's doing them personal harm.

When I see these kind of accusations from strangers I think about my friends. All the people who spend time at this farm, people who love me, the support and help from neighbors and my community.

I hope those people who take issue with me - be it an issue of character or something else - take the time to email me to ask questions and address their concerns. Some are just angry that the wool CSA is taking so long or webinars aren't out - in both cases I offer refunds to people if they prefer them to waiting.

Momma I hope what red said isnt true and you aren't spending your time living that way.

January 14, 2014 at 7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home