Monday, January 27, 2014

Low Bake

My friend Mark has a big hunting dog named Harley. Harley is a working dog but he can't help but wallow in a little comfort from time to time. He is known to practically crawl into the fireplace or nuzzle against a hot stove, a habit that has yet to singe his hairs but comes darn close. One day a few winters ago Harley was curled up near the wood stove in the Livingston Brook Farm kitchen and I looked over at Mark, myself a little uncomfortable at the heat shooting from it. Harley seemed happy as a clam, sleeping soundly. Mark shrugged and said, "I guess he's on low bake." I loved that clever comment. I use it all the time for the cats here. While a storm is swirling outside the farm house the cats seem to know where to set up camp. They both find a place right near the Bunbaker and consider it their home for low baking. Sometimes I take that fleece off the old bench there and set it down myself with a mug of something warm and a good book. We all enjoy a low bake around here. Especially on days like today.

4 Comments:

Blogger becky said...

haha we say something similar for our dog porkchop who likes to lay on the heat register. He's slow roasting himself. Not always good as it dries his skin out and hates it when I put balm on his belly because he has scratched it open. The new house however has electric base boards instead of forced air registers he can lay on them but he sure does try lol

January 28, 2014 at 12:38 AM  
Blogger DarcC said...

I heat my little living space with underfloor electric radiant heat, and the dogs all practically melt into the floor.

January 28, 2014 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Maggie in Tally said...

My Punkin loves the same setting though gets hers next to the kerosene heater in my living room. She'll prolly be spending the next 24 hrs or so there as my section of sunny FL is under a WINTER EFFING STORM WARNING! I mean, really. We might well get some sleet or freezing rain. Heckuva note!

January 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM  
Blogger laurie said...

I found an inexpensive heated throw yesterday and indulged. Right now my lap is full of dog and cat it's delicious.

January 29, 2014 at 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home