Saturday, January 25, 2014

LLF Book Club: Name of the Wind!

I announced the rebirth of the book club last month, have any of you finished Name of the Wind? If so, let's talk about it!


Blogger Matt and Callie said...

It was fantastic. It started out a little slow, but then I was hooked. It's just really really good story-telling.

January 25, 2014 at 6:06 PM  
Blogger Dan Moore said...

Just finished rereading it last week. I had to go through it again to make sure it was appropriate to then read to my son for his nightly bedtime story. I'll be starting it with him next week. We just finished the Dragonlance chronicles, all three books.

Name of the wind is a wonderful book, I greatly enjoy it.

January 25, 2014 at 9:40 PM  
Blogger Kristin T. said...

I started reading it and like it a lot, even though it's not my usual type. It's a great story!

January 26, 2014 at 8:03 PM  
Blogger Carol G said...

I started and completed both Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear (the second book). I loved Name of the Wind and had my daughter (16) and my husband starting it as I was reading WMF. After reading the second one, I had to backtrack and ask my 16 yo not to read the first unless she doesn't care if she reads the second - because I don't really recommend it for her (offensive language in the first half and too much sex in the second half for our taste). My husband opted not to read the second also for the same reasons.

The Name of the Wind, however, was a delight from cover to cover. Very well written and has lots of intriguing subplots going on. So much happens from cover to cover and I found it hard to think about when I was supposed to be doing other things. (I wouldn't be surprised if little clips of it show up in my dication at work :)!)

January 27, 2014 at 1:36 AM  
Blogger jwgh said...

I enjoyed the book. If I had a criticism, it's that the main character always came across as more of an adult than I thought was justified, and did not seem to change as much in character between the start of his story, when he's a kid, to the end of the story, when he's a teenager, to the framing story, when he's an adult, as I might have expected. Of course it's Adult Him telling the story, who will have his own take on his own story that would come through, so perhaps that's intentional.

With that said, the portrayal of the young man with a complete inability to tell when a member of the appropriate sex was interested in him rang very true!

Those questions of the main character's character development aside, I enjoyed the book a lot and read it very quickly.

January 27, 2014 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

So I really like jwgh's comment ( I love all your comments) because it raises a point I didn't think about. When I read these books Kvothe is always older in my head, not a 17 year old but a 34 year old? I know there are savvy and smart kids, and kvothe is exceptional but it really does seem weird that he is a kid. His life maks Harry Potters seem adorable.

The only place he really seems young is his lack of experiece with women (in the first book, at least) and how long this crush is lasting. But like Patrick Rothfuss said in his Sword and Laser interview - its a huge book and years between sequels but remember it's only like, 18 months of his life. I personally have had crushes lasting longer than a year!

That said, I still love these books and found out it was optioned for a Game of THrones level TV show. Kvothe is hitting the TV soon.

January 27, 2014 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Really enjoyed the book, good recommendation. I typically like grown-up fantasy series (Game of Thrones, etc), and somehow this escaped my notice.... until now!

I'd probably cringe to look back and watch my 17-year-old-self, and in our mind's eyes we all think and age differently. I like his naivety around women.

I also really appreciated the author's approach to sympathy/magic. It was difficult, often understated, yet it leaves the door open to all kinds of possibilities. This, to me, is a lot more intriguing than omnipotent sorcerers who can blow up the realm with a snap of their finger. Boring.

Even though it was a relatively small plot point, Kvothe's ban from the archives added a lot of realism in my eyes. Had this been Harry Potter, I'm sure that the stereotypical Favorite Sentimental Headmaster would have granted forgiveness, or a house elf would've delivered a Secret Special Key. No such luck for this guy, he had to wait it out for a while.

Spring and summer are seasons to read about plants and animals, winter is my favorite time to read fiction by a fire. Great story, good timing.

January 27, 2014 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I loved NotW and WMF, and I am now annoyed at my downstairs neighbor for getting me into yet another series that isn't finished yet. The waiting is hard - and she gave me this one to get me over A Song of Ice and Fire!

Someone I talked to about it said they didn't like that Kvothe is this perfect guy who is just the best at everything the first time around. I say well yeah, he is, and that's kind of the point. Though it's also more nuanced, he's Jack. He's the guy in all the stories, and here's the real story behind it. Any thoughts on this criticism?

January 27, 2014 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger macbew said...

First, I haven't started this series yet but as soon as I'm done with Anne Rice's the Mayfair Witches I'm going to start this series. I'm just commenting to say I can sympathize with Unknown about how hard the waiting is for a series you love. The books where the waiting nearly killed me was the Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel. It took 31 years from the first in 1980 to the last in 2011. The last 2 were a 12 and 9 year wait respectively.
Jenna I think you would like this series but not necessarily for the book club (there are 6 in the series) so I'm including a link to its Wikipedia page so you can check it out. Enjoy!'s_Children

January 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home