Sunday, January 12, 2014

How We See The World

A few weeks ago one of my favorite authors and vloggers, John Green, did a video ringing in the new year. It celebrated all the things people should be happy about and celebrate for 2014. John talked about the general state of the world (historically speaking) and how it compared to previous records in violent crime, divorce, disease, infant mortality and other measurable rates of misery. All of these were trending down and social progress was on the rise. It was emotional, beautiful, and inspiring. It made me proud to be part of Nerdfighteria. It basically said: it's okay to be optimistic.



And people ripped it apart.

A video coming from an author, whose amazing novel is about to become a movie, was not received well. People commented in throngs to dispute his facts, rattle cages, and generally tell him the world was not a good but instead a horrible place. They did this because the world they know isn't a good place.

So his brother responded a few days later, with another video (this is how the Vlogbrothers work, they converse back and forth with each other Tuesdays and Fridays)



So I guess it all depends on what you see our world as. Is it a place of misery or a place of opportunity? And while I know there are people suffering all over the world, and that horrible things happen every single day—I choose to think this is a beautiful world. As Hank says, to think otherwise will only hold us back.

P.S. Internet is down at my house, has been a few days. Sorry for the lack of posting. I can say that since Friday I have sewn a hood for Italics, broke an inch of pine board with a spinning hook kick, hung out with amazing and supportive friends, had four pigs slaughtered, and had a several-hour-long conversation with one of my favorite people in the world while talking bows and archery. More soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Why's woman said...

Dear Dear Jenna!

Happy New Year!

And thanks so much for the vlogbrothers post ... the January 3 is a treat. What engaging guys.

Best regards,

Why's Woman

January 13, 2014 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Victoria Nidetch said...

Thanks Jenna for the positive message. I feel a little better as I was having a horrible Monday.

January 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Love those vlogbrothers! I am tired of the pessimism, so the optimism was good to hear!

Looking forward to the post on pig slaughter day (I know that doesn't sound right, but I like to know how it went!)?

January 13, 2014 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger Susannah of Cricklewood Farm said...

OMGosh! I love the vlogbrothers - thank you so much for introducing them to me.

This is EXACTLY where I am at in 2014. Good things happen all the time as do bad, but I choose to focus on the good so that I have the strength to survive the bad.

Happy New Year to you!

January 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger Carly Heist said...

Hi there ;). I think the Vlog brothers and nerdfighteria raising awareness & "decreasing world suck" alone have made the world better. The whole community is awesome! ... BTW love your blog! Your way of life isn't possible for me with 4 kids in little old P-town but it sure does fascinate me. I admire your strength. DFTBA !

January 17, 2014 at 2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home