Sunday, December 1, 2013

Paleo Update

So a few months ago (maybe two?) I decided to go Paleo. It's a diet choice that removes grains, processed foods, white potatoes, and excess sugar from your diet. Lots of meat, vegetables, and nuts and berries. thought I would update you.

I'm not very good at it.

That said, even being not good at trying, is trying and the results are coming in slowly. I have lost weight. I'm almost ten pounds thinner just from removing grain from my diet (this was actually a lot easier than I realized it would be), but I still have vices like sugar. So I'm not the purist I could be, but here's the thing: I feel better already.

Yes, I do eat some crap, but not anywhere near as much as I used to. In fact, I'm eating less in general. Now that I am not messing around as much with my glycemic index hunger in general has left me. The meals I do sit down to eat are meat, animal fats, lots and lots of green stuff, cold water, and I never need a second helping. I am full. Now a normal day for me is coffee in the morning (with cream and or that vanilla garbage, don't judge) and then sometime around 2PM I get hungry and have a meal. I don't eat dinner unless I am invited out to a friends house and then the helpings are really small. It's not fasting, my body just isn't in need to empty calories like it used to be.

I'm cutting back on caffeine. I used to start my day with enough coffee to choke a rhino but right now it's just adding to anxiety with the jitters. A cup in the morning is sometimes overkill, but habits die hard. I find myself opting for caffeine free drinks more and more. Weird.

Today I'll have chili and corn around lunchtime when I am hungry. So I am still eating some hearty stuff, not just salads with chicken on them and a side of berries. When I started this I ate WAY too much meat, probably to compensate for the lack of those grains I was so used to eating. Now I eat half of what I did in the first 8 weeks. I love meat, and eat the best I can find most of the time, but my body taught itself what it needs and right now I am interested in 80% vegetables and fruits and 20% meat. It is working for me.

So more updates as I continue on this little side adventure in diet and nutrition. Like I said, I'm not good at it but I am also new at it. And even making a flailing attempt at it is improving my health, so that is a quiet victory even without being as strict as I could be. So I'm sticking with it for the time being and trying to combine more exercise into my life as well. I know my life seems really active, but in the winter no where near as much. So making some time to get to know my yoga and workout videos better isn't a bad idea.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home