Thursday, December 26, 2013

Merry Little Snowfall

I had a nice Christmas over at Patty's house with friends and I hope you all had just as warm and welcoming a holiday. It was low key and attended by plenty of farmers so gifts were a very special and useful sort. I was given firewood, maple syrup, venison, and a beautiful kilt pin of a horse and cart. I didn't have much extra cash this year but got a deal on steel flasks and everyone who was at Christmas dinner was given one and a small nip of whiskey. I figured a flask is the gift that gives all year...

There's a merry snowfall outside right now, not too heavy or foreboding. When I headed outside for chores there was just the hint of flurries and Gibson raced past me, his feet tearing into frozen ground without even a sprinkling of white dust but now an inch of so is coating the farm and the place has returned to serious winter splendor. It is lovely to look on it, knowing the chores are done.

The house is warmer than it has been in days thanks to a night's watch of the woodstove. I didn't stay up with the intention of tending the stove, I just am not very talented at sleeping at night these days. That misfortune at least boosts the advantage of a more comfortable temperature for napping, which I hope to manage at some point today. I hope to spend this snow day taking care of myself a bit. Which is just what I need. I suppose knowing that is half the battle, right?

5 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Wishing you a great nap and a wonderful day of tending to yourself. A little self-pampering is probably overdue:) I have high hopes of giving myself a manicure and continuing to read your newest book!(From the book: I love that you use oil lamps and candles. When I am at the farm, I won't feel so 'alone' in their usage knowing that across the miles you are doing the same. Ambiance,utility, budget, and beauty all at the strike of a match).

December 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger aralyn said...

Yippeeee! My husband gave me your new book for Christmas!

December 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger Imagine you will fly... said...

I started taking Magnesium Glycinate 400 against stress … since then i can sleep much better …
maybe you could try it too, Jenna.
Merry Christmas!

December 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

Oh look! Narnia!
Merry Christmas, Jenna.

December 27, 2013 at 11:00 PM  
Blogger katiegirl said...

Does your space heater put out much heat? Is it electric?

December 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home