Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Winter Preps & The Sick Lamb

The last few days have been very busy and yesterday finally allowed me a bit of time to catch my breath. Thanks to the help of friends like Keenan, Brett, Miriam and Patty, all the firewood in the splitting piles has been cut, split, and stacked. The sheep sheds that Atlas has destroyed have been repaired and one was even moved to another part of the farm. Atlas, Knox, and two other ewes were loaded up and sent to live at Draftwood, Brett's farm in the Adirondacks. Two big roosters were added to the larder thanks to a community chicken slaughter Sunday morning, and 25 bales of hay were put up in the barn. So in the last few days (thanks to the amazing people in my life) I acquired cord of firewood, 25 bales of hay, 10 pounds of meat in the freezer, a repaired shed, a transported shed, and I even fit in some time for an amazing meal and hot tub soak.

I got pricing on some snow tires (so expensive!) and am looking for some used ones online instead. So far progress towards my winter prep goals has been slow, but I am gaining on them. I may not be ahead of the race but I can go to sleep knowing I have all the food, water, heat, and shelter I need on this farm to be safe. So do my animals.

Most of them, at least. I have a weak little ram lamb that has been down since Saturday morning when I found him near the water trough. He was brought inside to be inspected, medicated, and observed constantly - so I made him a lay-lined bed in the dog crate right in the living room. He spent two days inside and showed slow recovery, if any. It was confusing because when most sheep go down like this they either die or are back on their feet in under 36 hours. Not this little guy. ProPen and electrolytes weren't helping, but his body seemed unable to walk and stiff. I decided it was most likely White Muscle and gave him a shot of selenium. He was also drenched for worms... I'll check on him in a bit, as I hope that will do the trick. I can not call the vet, as its simply too expensive right now to even consider for the cost of the lamb. So I am trusting my own experience and care, time, and a little prayer. If you raise sheep and think it may be something else not related to WM, Tetanus, or such - let me know please. Home remedies are welcomed, too.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home