Thursday, March 21, 2013

Whimsical Agitation

Gibson was bit by a gander today, right on the nose. The shock in his eyes was one for the books! My sheepdog was not expecting retaliation from the same fat lad he'd been bossing around since he was a whelp. See, it's easy to scuttle geese about when you're a dog. Gibson's reproductive organs may be outside his body, but unlike human males who visit the farm, are not at gooses beak level. A lot of men shy from my trio of French geese but Gibson does not share their anxiety. With his testicles tucked safely behind him he gives those toothless brutes the ol' what for whenever he can. But today was a special occasion, a biting occasion. Cyrus the Toulouse was not about to let any four-legger anywhere near his lady's nest.

In the past week the egg production of this backyard farm has exploded! I went from zero eggs for months on end to nearly a half dozen a day, and now there's a nest of proto-goslings in the works. Saro is perched like a lioness on her big pile of goose eggs in the corner of the barn, eggs so big only one can fit in my hand at a time. I am letting her work on them, and if any hatch they will be for sale. I think this small farm as a three-goose maximum for sanity. So if you are looking for the most adorable goslings in the world, check back in thirty two days and see if you want to take one home. Just a head's up, Toulouse live to be around forty years old. So get your male friends some jock straps and tell your dogs to get excited. You have a lifetime of fun* ahead of you!

*by "fun" I mean whimsical agitation.


Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

Now that's funny! Forget the guard dogs and get some geese ;) So glad you're on the mend - we had a course of that yuckiness here about a month ago, and it was awful!!

March 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger maria said...

Is Saro named for the folk ballad? One of my favorites if so!

March 21, 2013 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger WillowBrookFarm said...

Lol, poor Gibson. We have 7 now, way too many but I held off selling any in the fall because I had trouble sexing them and didn't want to sell too many females. Now I'm pretty sure we have 2 male Sebastopols, 4 females, and our female Pilgrim Goose (Nina) :)
Anyway, the two oldest Sebastopols are on nests and the younger ones are laying so I may be over run soon!

March 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM  
Blogger melody_cir said...

Glad you're on the upward haul! Our 2 geese hatched 2 goslings every year, and my german shepherd Tina used to toss the extra eggs up in the air and catch them. The geese had to go thru the pasture to get to the pond, honking and squawking all the way. One 5 am the cows had had enough, and I looked out the bedroom window when I heard the ruckus. I yelled for Dad (just getting up)- he looked out the window and whistled up our "Gibson"- her name was Twinkle. The 13 cows had completely surrounded the 2 adult geese, and were starting to attack. Twinkle took care of the situation quickly. That was over 50 years ago, but it's burnt into my memory.

March 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM  
Blogger aart said...

Glad to see you're fully back at the helm to sail onward thru spring!

March 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM  
Blogger Fernleaf said...

I read somewhere that geese were more of a deterrent than guard dogs...must be because you can't bribe them as easily! My Gander is also protecting his ladyfriend.

March 22, 2013 at 12:28 AM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Poor Gibson! I think my neighbors would oust me if I brought in geese...esp. after I bring in goats!

March 22, 2013 at 6:21 AM  
Blogger John Taylor said...

Glad to see your feeling better!

Grace and Peace,


March 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger John Taylor said...

Glad to see your feeling better!

Grace and Peace,


March 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger Goose Goose said...

2 years after your post....
My ducks run the place. They chase off and upset my geese. My geese, in turn, scare my collie/ heeler mixed dog. Such antics.

May 31, 2015 at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home