Friday, March 1, 2013

Strumsticks & Snap Peas

Right now Cold Antler is a weird place. Outside it is cloudy, mild, and the wind keeps picking up. This allows little slivers of sunlight to hit the slush puddles just long enough to lift my spirits before the wind covers him up with clouds again. What results is a bi-polar weather pattern we call early spring. It is March. It feels like it.

I stared at Bonita and Francis for about half an hour this morning. I think we'll be seeing goat kids in T-minus two weeks. Bonita is HUGE and I am already collecting bottles and pails and towels for the new kids. They will be living in the house for a bit. Something I have not totally thought through, to be totally honest. But I'll figure it out. I'm never worried about figuring it out. On a farm things happen and you deal with them. If you can't deal with them you find a neighbor or friend that can and you deal together. This is how pig pens and milking stands are built. I'm just happy all my floors are linoleum.

To welcome March I started my day with music and seeds. I planted these little snap pea seeds in a cracked mug full of vermicompost. That black gold from my kitchen's Worm Factory was a sight for sore eyes. I spooned it into the clay mug, which says Farm Girl on it in big black letters. It got cracked after much love and use, and now it is being used to grow food and I think the person who gifted it to me would be proud of that evolution. When the seeds were planted I got out my new Strumstick, sent to me by the folks at McNally just this week. I had emailed them asking if they wanted to remain blog sponsors. They did, and we worked out a barter option where I got a new instrument from them to replace my last one, which I broke by accident. I always request this moon and stars pattern, which is fitting with the moon in its waning phase as we speak. In a few days it'll look just like that crescent.

Anyway, I sat down with my new D stick and started playing a favorite folk song, Wild Mountain Thyme. I love how simple, how sweet, it sounds on this little dulcimer on a stick. The three banjo strings are so bright, so alive in the midst of this March howling outside. I got lost in the simple thing, strumming chords and singing along and before I knew it half an hour had cantered along. I heated up my coffee on the wood stove and looked to the little grow lamp in the kitchen hovering over the cracked mug. This is how spring starts around here, this is correct. A few seedlings, a few songs, and a girl ready for all that lies ahead.

P.S. Click here if you want to see the Strumstick in action, and hear it!

5 Comments:

Blogger Brenda London said...

why bring the babies in the house?

March 1, 2013 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I found out about Strumsticks from your blog. I purchased myself a D for Christmas, and I am having so much fun with it. Anyone who has played a string instrument will love it. It is so easy to play just 3 strings.

March 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger Robin Follette said...

Play pens (inexpensive at yard sales, though no yard sales this time of year) are great for kids with two or four feet.

March 2, 2013 at 5:59 AM  
Blogger Cary said...

Hi Jenna, Can you explain the benefit of vermicomposting over just composting outside? I've done both and after a while of putting some kitchen scraps in the worm bin and the rest outside, I began to wonder why I was doing both. I'd like to start worms again, but am looking for justification. :) Enjoy those peas. I've got 3 kinds of alliums under lights and 8 kale seeds under plastic (thanks to you!).

March 2, 2013 at 7:06 AM  
Blogger dazy.mae said...

Bought some seeds today and a warming may for under the flats. I have never seen them before. I was planning on making the room warm with plastic, an overhanging light, and a portable heater. My basement is pretty cold. This may lowers my fear of a potential fire and I can regulate the temp. I'll be able to tell you if the 20$ I spent was worth it n a few weeks. Any other suggestions for seedlings. IM going to make mine out of tolite paper rolls. Never done that but this the year of first. IM so excited. Jenna you give me that extra get up and go I need.....here's to a busy spring.

March 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home