Friday, March 22, 2013

Still Winter, Just.

When I left the farm's drive, and turned down the mountain road towards town, the mountain felt as if I was trapped in a diorama called "Perfect Winter." Even the snow felt like potato flakes, too perfect to be real. Annie was riding shotgun and there's something neat about sharing a vehicle with a husky in the snow. Neat as well as ironic.

By the end of this weekend there will be bare earth and the few inches from the storm will be nostalgia. I really think this was the last performance, and within the week I'll be sporting Chacos to run into Battenkill Books or get the mail. But today it was delightful.

I'm getting a delivery of one last half-cord of firewood today and I think that'll see me right through to warm spring. I'm picking up hay tonight and tomorrow as well. There isn't enough open grass here to stop feeding the animals hay save for a few glorious summer weeks but that's okay by me. Hay is plentiful up here where the average hayfield can be anywhere from 10-50 acres or more. I live in a deciduous rain forest of rolling green hills, rain, and humid sunshine. I look forward to the power of those inland mountain thunderstorms and the little fireflies, just a few weeks away...

But today I appreciate the snow. Annie does, too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristin, the Urban (mountain) Farmer said...

Hi Jenna. As your storms clear, we will be hunkered down for a new round of snow storms here in the mountains of Colorado this weekend. The wait for Spring here is always so drawn out, but we manage to grow a small garden and raise egg-laying chickens even at 8,400 feet. Your blog keeps me inspired to try new ways to be more self-sufficient via your example -- thanks!

March 23, 2013 at 2:03 AM  
Blogger rabbit said...

We have the same kettle for our woodstove! Also we have a good couple of feet of snow that I'd be more than happy to send down your way for Annie!

March 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger English sheep gal said...

Still snowing here nr Buffalo, NY too, about a foot of snow on the ground, but spring is coming, saw the first female Red Wing Blackbirds today, the males arrived last week to stake out territories around the pond. Had to snowblow the driveway twice this week, but temps predicted to be just above freezing tomorrow. My neighbors Shetland sheep are 'bagging up' (producing milk) so their lambs will be here soon, which is exciting.

March 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home