Monday, March 18, 2013

Sick Kid, Sick Woman, Storm on the Way!

Earl is doing so much better. The two days of Propen, some yogurt, and plenty of warm sleep has him more active and bright eyed. He is still on his heating pad bed in the living room but he gets up and off it to use the bathroom and now walks over to me to bleat for milk. This is so encouraging because two nights ago he just stood like a zombie by the stove and had no interest in playing or jumping about (not normal for a week-old goat). Now he is up and at it, on his way to recovery. I thank everyone on Facebook, email, and here on the blog whose advice and comments helped out. So much.

In other news, I am sick. Really sick. The kind of once-every-three years sick that has you shaking under covers, freebasing gatorade and out of breath from walking across the room. It hit me last night, and it hit fast. I came home from a mile jog feeling amazing, did my evening chores, came inside to dinner and a bottle of hard cider and then promptly threw it all up. After that it was like someone flipped a health switch. I went cold, needed a leash to the bathroom, and felt like a truck sideswiped my sternum. So I'm laying low, sleeping as much as possible between chores, and checking the weather like an obsessive compulsive. Because, dear friends, a storm is on the way

Last week it was sunny, warming up, muddy and fifty degrees. This morning during milking it was ten degrees in the barn. Weather reports are calling for a humble snowfall of around five inches, just enough to demand vigilance. Anything over three inches mean roofs must be raked and paths shoveled. And I'm not complaining or in need of any sort of pity, I find all this invigorating! To be down and out and change gears to still take care of a place is a road to wellness in itself. I like that when I get down the farm keeps going, not allowing any sort of rest. This place is bigger than me and needs me even when I am a little scruffier than usual. It makes me feel needed, and that makes me feel better. A sick girl with a mission is a girl on the mend!

So I keep at it, just slower. I am prepared with enough firewood and such to stay warm and rest up. I am not overwhelmed by the farm(I just do chores all day, and slower, instead of two power sessions morning and night). I feel okay about it. I had several friends call or offer help with chores: folks from Saratoga, Massachusetts, and just up the road! That kind of community makes me feel so much better in itself. But, honestly, I think I have it under control. But it sure felt good to get those offers in the first place. If this was food poisoning like back in 2010 I would be laying rose petals at their feet. I'm just down with the everyday flu or Noroviris. Some tea, rest, slower work days, and lots of sleep will set me right.

So snow is on the way, probably the last hurrah of winter before peas go into the ground and lambs start hopping down the hillside. I'm grateful to be forced inside with books and a tea for the big show. I'll go out and do chores here and there, no creature will go without food or water or a proper place to bed down for the storm. I'll be with Gibson, who has my back in every sense. I love that dog and need him more than I ever realized. He never became the trial champion I had originally planned for, instead he became a farm manager and best friend. And last night when four quilts wasn't enough to stop the shaking his warmth next to me under the covers was.


Blogger Maria said...

Get better, Jenna!

March 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

Hope you get better fast, Jenna! :)

March 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Just be very, very careful. I know a very active, fit, 43 y.o. women who died in January of the run of the mill flu. It was a complete shock to the family and community. And it wouldn't kill you to ask for someone to check on you, just to make sure you need help. :) I hope you get well soon.

March 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger Tyler said...

If we were in town we'd have to get you a big plastic bubble so we could still have game night!

Hope you're feeling better soon--we'd bring you chicken soup if we could.

Sending healthy thoughts from Minnesota,
T & T

March 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger Alicia-Marie said...

Feel better soon, Jenna!!!!

March 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger jenomnibus said...

Argh, that sucks. I know you're tough, but take those offers of help! You'll mend much faster if you're not up and about every couple of hours. (Prepare for the deluge of all of us out here trying to take care of you from afar ;)

March 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Jenna-rest and take it easy:) Apple cider vinegar (organic if you have it), hot water and some honey. Mix up and sip:) Norovirus got 3 of us about a month ago...long recovery.
Sending healing prayers your way

March 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger Maggie in Tally said...

Lysine. It's a good anti-viral. And when you can hold down something, start dosing yourself with a teaspoon of black elderberry syrup every 3 hours or so.

March 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery...and maybe a surprise visit including some homemade soup. :)

March 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM  
Blogger daisy said...

Sending healing thoughts your way. God bless...

March 18, 2013 at 6:27 PM  
Blogger Jimmie said...

Sending good vibes that you'll feel better soon. Glad sweet little baby boy goat is feeling better. If I were there, I'd fix you some tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich...that's what my mom did when I felt well enough to eat, but was still pretty sick.

Diane in North Carolina

March 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM  
OpenID amovingtale said...

Jenna - The same thing hit me last night. I swore it was food poisoning, but no one else got sick. Laying low here at home now with saltines & ginger ale. We're expected 8-12 inches here in NH, let's hope it all blows out to sea.

March 18, 2013 at 7:31 PM  
Blogger katiegirl said...

Yeah, it stinks when you're a grown don't get taken care of like when you were a kid. I got the dreaded stomach virus last week and my husband had to work, so I was on my own with chores (I do them myself even when I'm not sick). I even managed to drive myself to the store to get ginger ale and saltine crackers, but I brought a bowl in the car with me just in case I got sick. LOL.

March 18, 2013 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Take it easy and feel better! We'll be getting the same storm, but we're in the 12" plus swath. Can't wait for spring to be well and truly here!

March 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM  
Blogger Imagine you will fly... said...

Hi Jenna ... didn't you post not long ago that video about 'the art of asking' ? ... there is also 'the art of accepting' ! It is as difficult as asking, but as important as well ...
If you want to stay the strong woman that you are, for a very long time , then give yourself a good rest and let your friends be there for you ...
Take care

March 18, 2013 at 8:43 PM  
Blogger Harmony Hill said...

Yep. The omnibus said it; accept these genuine offers; interdependence has a lot of merit and strength.
Cindy in NH

March 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Katou said...

Take care of yourself Jenna and accept the help of your friends so you can rest and recover sooner.

Us too, in Qu├ębec are having snow: 5 to 10 cm but in the East, the'yre getting 15 to 20 cm and maybe more. Let's hope it's the end of this long winter that seems to not want to leave it's place for spring.

Have a good night sleep.

March 18, 2013 at 9:57 PM  
Blogger Paulette said...

Sounds like stomach flu, not the respiratory kind. You should be on the mend soon. Gosh, you have my sympathy. Rest and stay warm!

March 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hope you don't get too much snow. I agree that when help is offered, don't be afaid to accept it. It's not a sign of failure on your part.

March 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago. It hit my whole family in the blink of an eye but it only lasted 24 hours, thank goodness. I don't throw up "well". It didn't take long before we were up and at 'em again.

Something chilly and bubbly going down my throat was the best ever (root beer.....mmmm). Hope your recovery is quick.

March 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM  
Blogger phaedra96 said...

I know how hard it is to be ill and all these lives depending on you to care for them. It is a blessing to have people you can call for aid. I am thankful that the baby is going to make it. (I finally have succombed to a head cold...I hope...after avoiding all the crappy flus and all this winter. Shoulda known)

March 19, 2013 at 7:30 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Get better soon, it's so hard to get the chores done when you feel so bad.

March 19, 2013 at 7:53 AM  
Blogger Indio said...

Hope you bounce back just as quickly as little earl. It's Spring and nasty germs should be illegal once the snow stops.

March 19, 2013 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger maria said...

Feel better! I hope it passes quickly!

March 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger maria said...

Feel better! I hope it passes quickly!

March 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger Cassandra said...

Ack. I agree with everyone else who says to accept help if you need it. You'll mend faster if you do and need less help in the long run. :) That said, I hope you're feeling very much better already.

March 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Hope you're feeling better!

March 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Get feeling better, girl! I second the commenter who said try elderberry syrup. I'm dipping a toe into herbalism this year, and that's the greatest thing for all sorts of flu bugs and viruses I've found! A great preventative and even if you start it when you're already sick, it cuts your down time drastically. I got the elderberries on Etsy for like $6 and made my own syrup with water, cloves, cinnamon and honey but some of the co-ops and health stores sell a commercial preparation. Well wishes!

March 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home